Panasonic Viera TX-L42E6B, is there such a thing as dead pixels anymore?

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by greenclaws, Aug 21, 2013.

1. greenclaws

greenclaws
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello!

My Panasonic P42ST30 Plasma tv recently developed a massive fault, both the board and the screen went on the right side and it would cost too much to fix so JL said I could have any tv up to what I paid for the original tv to replace it.

As they don't stock anything similar any more (no plasmas in 42inch and no 3d, not that I care about 3d) I've decided that switching over to LED would perhaps be a good idea. Panasonic Viera TX-L42E6B seems to be the only real choice in 42" but whenever I think of LCD I think of the massive problems I've had with dead pixels on tvs, games consoles and monitors in the past. Is this still a thing and are Panasonic understanding about dead pixels or do they say you can live with up to 5 like Sony? On Google I haven't seen the words dead pixel and panasonic referenced since 2006 :laugh: so I don't have any info to go on.

I hope I am making the right choice, please let me know!

Thanks!

2. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,278
    You will be very disappointed moving from Plasma to LCD.

It is not your fault that JL choose not to stock the 42" plasma products - I'd suggest that you persist with them and see if they will special order a 42ST60 or 42GT60 for you.

They are not really giving you an opportunity of a like-for-like replacement which isn't really in the spirit of the warranty.

3. greenclaws

greenclaws
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, thanks for your reply,
    The problem there is that our 42ST30 cost £450 and a 42ST60 costs £700 cheapest let alone JL prices and special order on top of that so not likely to happen. As they have nothing for like-for-like they are basically giving us a £450 credit note or £450 refund. I thought that the L42E6B was meant to have very good black reproduction and picture quality, but is it still nowhere near a 2011 plasma? I was getting very tired of the noise from the fans on the 42ST30, I was hoping I'd found my solution here. Back to the drawing board?

4. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,278
    Ah, I see your dilemma now. I didn't realise you had paid so little for your ST30.

Really difficult one then... As I see it, you have three choices:-

1) Take a refund and then buy either a P42X60 or P50X60 (both within budget, but not 1080P)
    2) Take a refund, then top up and buy an ST60 from elsewhere
    3) Go for the LCD

If you can't afford to do 2), then I would strongly suggest that 1) is a better option than 3)

5. greenclaws

greenclaws
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JL now think we paid £550 for it, won't look a gift horse in the mouth. Do you think it'd be worth playing the extra £150 if they'll special order a P42ST60? Is there that much money's extra facility/picture quality etc in it?

You see if we take the money and buy something somewhere else we don't get a 5 year warranty, and these televisions have so far shown that they bloody need a good warranty :D