1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Viera TH42PE30 Help

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by anabol20, Jul 20, 2004.

1. anabol20

anabol20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am on the verge of buying my very first plasma TV and am drawn towards the Panasonic Viera TH42PE30. I have a few questions that I would really appreciate some input on :

- Is this model High Definition (and therefore future proof to a degree)?
    - I notice some ads have a B suffix. Does this denote extra features?
    - Is it easy to self-install (for a novice) and connect to my Sony Home Cinema Kit with sub-woofer etc currently connected to a Hitachi Widescreen along with VCR and DVD player?
    - Is the extra warranty cover advisable (I know this is where the high profit comes in for the retailer)?
    - is this considered a good buy viz-a-viz similarly priced alternatives?

Many thanks in anticipation. I have found this forum really educational with some great pointers so far on what to avoid etc.

2. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    -Not a HD panel only 852x480 res. No HDMI or DVI connections.
    -Usually stands for British Stock on Panasonic denominations.
    -Easy as a normal telly, no worse
    -Yes advisable, any repair will be very costly,when a Plasma goes wrong it usually means replacement
    -As a telly alternative probably nothing else in it's class. Low res and Lack of Digital Connections are it's weaknesses. However, low res means nice and sharp off-air pictures and component in sorts DVD's out a treat. HD is not here in the UK and who knows when it will be ?

It's based on a PW6 and it's a Panasonic, a quick search on the forums should put your mind at ease. :)

3. martincoleman

martincoleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a TH42PA30 (not PE30) same as PE30 but without the freeview built in.
    Bought at 2550PNDS....Picture quality excellent....but beware... the "sexy" stand that you see it with on the TV ads (PAN TYS42PX20) is nearly 400PNDS extra!

4. spook

spook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would give the 42 PWD6 consideration,
    I almost went for the Viera 42 inch, I am glad I changed to the PWD6 for a number of reasons:

1. cheaper (quite a lot) for what is essentially the same screen.

2. I use the desktop stand, which is a very strong and solid peice of kit, unlike the wobbly pedestal stand that comes with the Viera.

3. image settings, colours contrast etc and image position stretch and squash etc are saved individually for each input (I don't think the viera does this?, I could be wrong?)

4. VGA input is at the rear (Viera, the VGA input is under the front flap)

5. personally I think it looks fantastic with it's narrow black bezel, no sign of silver anywhere, nice ;o)

cheers, spook

5. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    i have the pe30 with the desk stand and mine does not apear to wobly at all

people like me who arnt plasma experts just want a tv to watch without having to buy speakers tv cards tuners cables and god nows what else
    wich if you buy a screen on its own can become very expensive

the pe30 is a plasma for everyday family tv using sky dvd game consoling etc out of the box set up in 5 min plasma wich it does the job superbly

and if you do a search on these forums you will find hardly any moans :)

6. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    The 42PE30 will not accept 720p HD signals - which Sky may use when they start HD broadcasts in 2006.

Steve

7. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    when sky start broadcasting in 2006 hi def surely its only going to be a couple of channels and another subscription package and reicever etc(yet again more money)
    there are still so many bad broadcast quality channels and channels without doby/ widescreen etc .surely the hi def sets are going to make these chanels even worse.you would think they would concentrate on getting those up to standard . i still no loads of people who dont have widscreen tv let alone sky plus i guess it depends on how much money your willing to spend

for me the pe30 with its normal sd defanition gives a superb picture whats the point of paying out money on somthing that you cant use to its full potential for 2years(thats if sky stick to that date???????)even then is your average person thats sits in front of the tv gona now :rolleyes:

8. YahooSerious

YahooSerious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The PA30 does save the contrast/light/color info for each input. I haven't calibrated it yet, as I'm waiting for my Avia disc, but it seems to save the three separate image settings as well(normal, dynamic etc) so its quite versatile.

The PA30 also has very good sound for a flat screen IMHO.

Surely it will accept it? It will be scaled down of course, but its not like it won't benifit from the added picture clarity and better sound.

-Yahoo

9. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Take a PW6, add speakers on board, tuner box, freeview, scart, component boards and stand.

Well you're not far off a 42PE30 really and you got a modular sytem with bits everywhere. And it'll still never be as as nice looking a set as the Viera is.

If you want to watch mainly DVD's with all the tweaks possible PW6 is your route. If you want a telly replacement go for the Viera, it's a lovely package all rolled into one.

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You can buy a warranty for 1/3 the price of curry's don't be bludgeoned into an expensive one. Or you can buy this one at JL, but do it soon before they catch a cold on 5 yr plasma warrantys. They're not unreliable, just costly to fix.

11. Si133

Si133

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went through the same decision making process a couple of months ago. There is no right or wrong opinion here, or indeed, a wrong choice to make. All the screens being mentioned are excellent. It’s just a matter of which one suits your requirements or lifestyle.

I spent a month researching and went for the TH42PE30 for the following reasons.

1. I didn’t want to have to play around with boards and settings too often, so I ruled out the 42 PWD6.

2. I wanted the large black surround, to get the best overall visual definition and impression, which left me to choose out of the Panny, the Pioneer or the JVC.

3. I wanted good speakers, as I intended to watch “normal” TV without having to have a surround sound system booming al the time. The PE30 inbuilt speakers are superb, and better than any other on the market.

4. I wanted as much “straight out of the box” as possible, as I haven’t the time to mess around, plus it would confuse the wife!

5. I wanted the TV to have 5 star reviews in most places (That ruled out the JVC)

6. I wanted in built tuner, so that, when the TV becomes old in a few years time, I can relegate it to the Bedroom wall with relative ease. The Added freeview was a big plus. (This began to rule out the Pioneer).

8. The TV had to be offered by John Lewis, so I could price match and get the 5 year warranty (which I bet they pull on new purchases very soon).

7. I walked into Hi Spek which had all the major screens on display and the BBC picture on the PE30 blew all the others away. The moment I saw it against its rivals. My mind was made up.

I did have concerns about future proofing, particularly HDTV, but I took the view that normal transmission of HDTV of all channels would not be commonplace in the lifetime of the TV.

Sky has announced it but its bound to offer a limited service in 2006, but they will want more money for it, which I’m not willing to pay.

Besides, reports from the US seem to suggest that the SDTV screens like the PE30 look just as good with HDTV, as the ratios are so good already.

The TH42PE30 looks stunning. I have mine wall mounted, using an unofficial bracket (bought for £65) and it works wonderfully. I’m currently watching an analogue signal (until freeview reaches my area) and the picture is still brilliant.

So I would say get it, and get it via a price match at John Lewis. Its dead easy to install (I’d never done one before, and I was nervous). I had the bracket up in 30 mins and the TV sorted in 15 mins.

I love it!

12. anabol20

anabol20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for all the input guys. It is really informative and very useful indeed. I guess the "straight out of the box" is a big plus factor. I will certainlytake on board all the comments and am really grateful.

Can I ask about the connections? I was going to go for a really expensive scart lead. I will be connecting up to a Sony Home Cinema Amp too so any recommendations would be appreciated regarding connections. I will need to include a DVD recorder and a VCR in the connection set up too.

Many thanks

13. Dulux

Dulux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How can you say the stand on the Viera is "wobbly"? It's rock solid and beautiful to boot!

14. sewem

sewem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where did you get your £65 wall bracet for the TH42PE30? I need one.

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Originally Posted by Dutch
    The 42PE30 will not accept 720p HD signals - which Sky may use when they start HD broadcasts in 2006.

Steve

Surely it will accept it? It will be scaled down of course, but its not like it won't benifit from the added picture clarity and better sound.

-Yahoo

Just spotted this. Dutch is as usual very well informed, and is correct. No 720p support. It does, I think, support 1080i. EuroHD is therefore OK, but sky have not announced a format for their HDTV, and it's likely that HD-DVD could be 720p

16. Si133

Si133

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The £65 bracket cam from ebay, (seller 1_crazy_mofo) who is posting in another viera bracket thread here.

17. kingcobbler

kingcobbler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I bought a Panasonic TH-42PA20B a few months back and if you have any spare money make sure you spend it on some decent cables. the scarts I owned from my 29" CRT at about £10 each were no good with the large plasma. Upgrading to £40+ Ixos cables makes all the difference.

Now I can see the difference.

18. Steffche

Steffche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What was the noticable difference going to better quality leads??

19. scoobydoo77

scoobydoo77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to clarify as well as i can about hi-def on the viera. I have a US x-box hooked up to my viera with the x-box hi def pack. This potentially allows me to switch between 480p, 720p and 1080i provided the game itself can. Now I don't have a 1080i game but Soul Calibur 2 supports 480p and 720p. 480p works fine, 720p does'nt. You get a fuzzy screen with lots of lines going across and thats it. So presumably this might be the same with 720p tv broadcasts.

Anyway, hope that was helpful to someone

20. dunbad

dunbad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, How much are JL selling the screen for as empiredirect are selling it for £2400!!

21. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    HAve a search JL offers have been posted constantly for last 3 weeks.....

22. carlr26

carlr26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Panasonic TH42PE30 a few years ago and now want to connect it to Sky HD. Will it work?

23. alsina

alsina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +605
    As posted on your thread elsewhere, your tv is not compatible with Sky HD.

24. tvbox

tvbox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +818
    are there any scart sockets at the back of the HD box?

25. carlr26

carlr26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know as I haven't placed the order for the HD sky box yet - I wanted to find out if it would work with my TV before spending money. Is there a solution if there is a scart socket?

26. tvbox

tvbox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +818
    yeah, at least there's one at the back of the tv. you won't get the full quality of hd channels though.

Anyway, why have you opted for the HD pack when your TV isn't HD Ready?:confused:
    Have a look and see the FAQ too:
    Sky+HD - How To Get HD With Sky+HD and How High Definition Works
    That spinning version of the HD box is quite rubbish, they can't be bothered to show the back:mad:. Maybe it's quite ugly compared to the sleek front:rotfl:.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  27. bob200

bob200
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Just wanna say i've still got this tv from 4/5 years. Absolute loved it, but colours lately are seeing a bit dark, i've used it for over 10,000 hours, maybe thats the reason?

Anyway Going to be sad to upgrade but moving up to 50" G10 on Wednesday.:D

28. tvbox

tvbox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +818
    Aww:blush:. Well good luck anyway:smashin:, and let's hope your tv will last for 30 years as specified:D (100,000 hours)

Sell your pe30 on ebay or right here on AVforums, there are loads of old plasma tvs there.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  29. ukwill

ukwill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    still using my 42pe30 here :thumbsup:

PQ is still amazing. So many people that come around think its a 1080p picture they're watching. Just watching the foo fighters at Wembley on C4 HD and it's awesome.:cool:

I have SkyHD (as I was intending to get a new panel) and am able to get a picture regardless of whether I set sky hd menu option to 576 / 720 / 1080. Wish I could tell what my panel was actually showing - can only presume its showing me 853x480 irrespective of which of the 3 options I choose.

I've really wanted to go and buy some shiny new panel but to be honest, there isn't anything out there (kuro aside) that really makes me want to change as yet. Its almost as if the quality of panels has deteriorated to my eyes (or maybe thats just my eyes :D)

30. spinal_chord

spinal_chord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Anyway of checking the hours on these tv`s ????.

Dave.