Panasonic Viera TH37PE30 poor picture

R

rdsalcoj

I have recently purchased the Panasonic Viera Plasma in the 37" format but have been dissappointed with the clarity of certain picture shots when I have been viewing football.
When the TV camera's do close up shots the definition is very good but when they do wider views of the game in general, the clarify lacks sharpness and almost looks blurred.
This problem represents itself when viewing through both DVB and AV (which I am using to attach for Sky Sports)
I appreciate the Panansonic has a variety of Picture setup options which I have "played" with without any improvements, I am wondering whether there is something fundamentally wrong or whether I need to be taking a different tack.

got mine a few months ago now...when i first got it i could notice blurring and other pic quality issues, playing around with the settings does help, i recommend cinema mode (you will need to set this up individually for each input) also the noise reduction options do help slightly

would definiately NOT recomend using DYNAMIC, i had mine set to this for the first 2 days and the Pic Quality was awful.

try using a good quality scart (when i say good quality £15-20 should do)

also in on sky, select services....got to the system setup and in the picture settings menu....change to rgb, because the tv can accept an rgb signal through scart the quality does improve.

let me know how you get on

Could I add that the tv (any tv) is just like an amp., in that it only broadcasts what it is fed. If the football looks poor, it could be Sky's compression methods. A fly by of a crowd scene, up close, on a CRT set showing football on Sky is terrible; the bitmapping 'massive'. Plug a DVD into the Viera and you will see the best results, simply because the source is better.

jamesanderson said:
got mine a few months ago now...when i first got it i could notice blurring and other pic quality issues, playing around with the settings does help, i recommend cinema mode (you will need to set this up individually for each input) also the noise reduction options do help slightly

would definiately NOT recomend using DYNAMIC, i had mine set to this for the first 2 days and the Pic Quality was awful.

try using a good quality scart (when i say good quality £15-20 should do)

also in on sky, select services....got to the system setup and in the picture settings menu....change to rgb, because the tv can accept an rgb signal through scart the quality does improve.

let me know how you get on

I will try a better quality scart. Granted, the one I am using is not one I have lying around the house so I should invest in better cable componets.

I do not have the Sky box directly connected through to the Panny as it is connected to a CRT Tosh I have set up in another room.

I had a Aerial chap some in and wire up all the Co-Axial arerial cable up to amplifer and then through to the Panny via the Co-ax connection. I needed a new aerial for the Freeview so decided to use this method to make Sky available to all the TV's in the house.

well theres your prob, co-ax, you want a 21pin (all pins connected) scart cable going from your sky box to your plasma, any other method other than digital via component, DVI or HDMI WILL give you a crap picture, also sports progs will look pants if they are live, sky has a rubbish encoder for live programmes and so does the BBC

the problem is the majority of plasmas, its something I have to accept unfortunately Im the same 37" viera and its impressive alround apart from veiwing football on. as you say when the camera is zoomed out and say the keeper kicks the ball from 1 end of the pitch to the other then the camera pans across the pitch it goes slightly blurry, just about watchable but it is a little dissapointing

Make sure that if you have sky digital that it is set to 16;9 wide mode and set to RGB out. Also make sure that it is connected via a scart lead to one of the av sokets on the back of the Viera that is RGB capable. This would be AV1 or av4.
To get the best out of the VIera you will need to do some adjustments. I would use cinema mode for all inputs, then use a THX optimiser or Digital Video essentials to correctly set brightness and contrast, sharpness and colour.

Sheekster,
my PS2 is on AV1, the DVDR on 4 and Skyball on 2. According to the Viera instruction manual this was recommended ... have I mixed up the gear?

"settings" and "visual" and the bottom option (forget what its called but default is set to "composite") press right or left and it should change to "RGB" instantly the picture should sharpen up. like I said though you'll probably still get blurryness on the football, I do

nic@highgroundd
RGB on sky box is services/setup/picture settings/video out.
Equally important: Viera AV2 cannot accept RGB. You must use AV1 or 4.
You are going to see a big difference in the footy now!
Mine is as good as I would wish for.

Let's get this straight:

Skyball in 1 (16:9 RGB out)

PS2 in 2 (16:9)

DVDR in 4 (16:9 RGB out)

?

Hi,

I am using profigold PGV 782 scarts and one profigold PGV 332 component cable on my panny th37pe30b.

I am VERY pleased with picture quality, Cables fitten from day one - absolutely no probs.

I got my cables from tvcablesdirect.co.uk - ordered Friday 4.p.m. delivered 09.20 Saturday (although they did say that I would not get them until Monday).

Hope this helps.

Kev.

Yep, to get a better picture from sky, it must be connected to one of the rgb inputs.
AV1 is rgb/composite
AV2 is composite/svideo
Av3 is shared with the vga input for connecting a pc and is composite and I think svideo( I will have to check)
Av4 is shared with the componenet in puts and will do RGB and svideo and composite.

My set up is as follows.
1) sky digital into AV1 , with sky set to rgb and 16;9 wide.
2) VCR in to av2
3) av3 not used
4) My dvd player is connected to the componenet inputs of AV4, in order for the sound to go to the Viera a scart lead is also conected to av4 from the player. Because the dvd player also has another scart socket I connect my playstation 2 to that and get RGB from the playstation as well, utalising the dvd players rgb through put. This basicly means AV4 is used twice and can be swithed between inputs from the remote controll.

if your dvd player has rgb through put then you could do the same, however if it is a dvd recorder, I suspect that you are alreaday using both scart sockets.
The way you have described how you have set it up sounds good, the only problem being that the picture from your ps2 will not be as good as it can be.
You could always get a scart switcher and RGB lead for the ps2 and connect the ps2 and dvdr to av4 like that, using the switcher to switch between the two and still get rgb from both devices.
HOpe this has not been to confusing :eek:

David-Sheekey said:
Make sure that if you have sky digital that it is set to 16;9 wide mode and set to RGB out. Also make sure that it is connected via a scart lead to one of the av sokets on the back of the Viera that is RGB capable. This would be AV1 or av4.

Watching Sky in RGB makes a big difference to sports such as football. Do as others have suggested and make sure that RGB is enabled in your Sky Menu plus also make sure that 'Scart Control' in the same menu is switched on.

put sky in av1 using 21pin scart and hook ps2 thru skybox via 21 pin scart. put dvd recorder in av4 via 21pin scart. or if any of your things have component output i.e ps2 or dvd player use that

I also have 37" viera and did notice some channels blurry.
DVD was connected to componenet Very pleased
Sky set to AV1 with RGB, not too impressed on some channels.

I have now purchased a Thor component lead, connected DVD to Denon 2805 amp and Sky to Amp via Svideo lead, Then Amp to Plasma via component, It has improved Sky quite alot but I sometimes still get slight blurring, Although just watched Stuart Little 2 with Daughter (honest) and I couldnt believe the quality of piccy, I did ask at one point wether it was DVD
I havnt watched Football yet as only did it yesterday and chose to watch Pirates of The Carribean Instead of Man U and chelsea bit hopefully will view footy soon and let you know

One quicj question, Svideo I used was cheapy found in draw, would I get better results using a better Thor cable?

no-one listening? I have my NTL box set to RGB 16:9 on AV1 on my Viera yet stuff like the Footie is still a below par picture compared to something like an CRT..... unless someone is gonna work miracles it aint gonna get any better either.

yes setting the NTL box to RGB made a big difference but the picture is still sh!te to say I spent 2k on a telly

davegtt said:
no-one listening? I have my NTL box set to RGB 16:9 on AV1 on my Viera yet stuff like the Footie is still a below par picture compared to something like an CRT..... unless someone is gonna work miracles it aint gonna get any better either.

yes setting the NTL box to RGB made a big difference but the picture is still sh!te to say I spent 2k on a telly

Unfortunatly, due to the poor bit rate of some of the digital channels, All plasmas have problems with sky/digital cable, to varieying degrees. Like was said in a previous post, due to the nature of how a plasma works, it does need good source material to get the best put of it.
I went through a number of CRT televisions before going for a plasma. The televisons had Bad geomatry, that could not be fixed in the service menu, the dirty screen effect, Interfence with RGB input(on the panasonic pd30 that I had) Convergenece errors, and the two Loewe televisons I had , had a distiorted picture on the left and right sides of the screen :mad: .
After weighing up the pros and cons of the two types of display, I decided that a less than perfect picture on sky, was worth it If I was ever to enjoy , my movies dvds and games again.

Watching football on a plasma will never 'look' as good as a CRT. As others have said it is dependent on the feed from Sky and also because you are watching a bigger screen therefore the artifacts will be more apparent.

I have a 37" Viera, and whilst it doesn't appear as sharp as watching football on a CRT it's not far off.

Surely you looked at the pro's and con's before purchasing the plasma?

I knew about footy never looking right on plasmas, unfortunately its the price you have to pay to have a good looking TV in the house. shame really as it does let it down but I always knew it would look fairly poor on the plasma. like I say its watchable though

Before purchasing the Viera I found that a lot of other plasmas were a lot worse for off-air broadcasts. It was something I was quite concerned about, but I have to admit once I'd setup the Viera properly terrestrial broadcasts and Sky pictures exceeded my expectations.

Although some channels (i.e. sports) don't look as good as CRT, for me, the other factors like small footprint, gorgeous looks (WAF) and excellent dvd picture make up for it. :)

Tejstar said:
but I have to admit once I'd setup the Viera properly terrestrial broadcasts and Sky pictures exceeded my expectations.

So how did u go about "setting it up properly"? mine pretty much run in, got it exactly 1 month ago now so wouldnt mind looking at playing with the settings again

happiest h, call me an old cynic, but given the limited modifications available (sharpness up 2, brightness down 4) - is there 'really' a big difference once a pro. has been called in with their various calibration items?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom