Panasonic Viera TH-50PZ81 - or 35% off something Sony?

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by paradigm, Feb 11, 2009.

1. paradigm

paradigm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

I've been planning to get the Panny TH-50PZ81 for quite some time now, which can be had at Dixons for around £1200. However, a friend of mine says he knows someone who works at Sony and could probably get me 35% off one of their TVs.

Given that black levels are a priority (having made the mistake once of buying a cheap monitor, I now have the fear of grey in me!), is there a set that Sony sells that could compete? I'm aware that most of their range is LCD, and while I'm not ruling LCD out altogether, there's the aforementioned issue of black levels to consider.

Any suggestions, be they Sony sets in the £1800 range (which after 35% is back to my £1200), or sets superior to the Panny but around the same price, would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

2. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    All of their range is LCD

3. simonoaks

simonoaks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    as said, you can't get a Sony, and anyway, it seems you realy want a plasma. If you are looking at the PZ range, might as well get the PZ80 over the 81 for under £1k. You might be able to hunt down an 8th Gen Pioneer LX as 1st choice, panny as 2nd one.

I would have loved a Pio, but decided on the PZ80 and bought a whole lot of other AV gear with the difference.

hope that helps

4. paradigm

paradigm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    IIRC the 8th-gen Pios aren't Full HD though, and that's pretty much crucial.

I'm not unwilling to rule out LCDs, but it'd have to be a pretty good one that competes well with plasmas. I didn't want to cross-post, though.