Panasonic Viera TH-50PZ80B picture breaking up (video attached)

mascot

Hi all,
My Panasonic Viera TH-50PZ80B plasma developed a fault where the picture would start to break up after about half an hour of use, which made me think it was linked to a component warming up/getting hot. But now the image looks like in the attached video from start-up. Sometimes the image almost disappears completely.
Any ideas please? Apart from this it's still a great set, and is only occasionally used 2-3 times a week wall-mounted in my garage gym, so I'd really like to be able to repair it if possible.
Many thanks for any help or advice folks!

mikej

With a TV of that age it's quite likely to be a proper board or screen fault, but you might as well cover the basics first by unplugging all external devices and doing a factory reset. Seeing if the fault persists using the TV's own Freeview tuner (if it has access to a TV aerial) would rule out potential HDMI/input board faults or HDMI cable issues, if you want to start trouble-shooting this yourself.

If the TV doesn't have access to an aerial but does have a Freesat/satellite tuner, then you could connect to your dish instead but I can't see DVB-S listed in the specs so it may not have one.

To be honest though - if there is an inherent board or screen fault, then it's likely to be present on the set-up menu before you even get to that stage.

Operating and service manuals are often available for free online (manualslib.com is a site I've used before) but you really need to know what you're doing when you take the back off a TV, as some components can carry a potentially lethal charge long after a set is turned off. If you do discover a faulty board or component then your biggest challenge will be getting hold of spares for a TV of that age but if it is/was a common fault, then component 'repair kits' can sometimes be found online and/or specific board repair services are available.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom