Panasonic Viera TH-42PZ700 TH-50PZ700 - First Impressions from Japan

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by lgans316, May 7, 2007.

1. lgans316

lgans316
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,790
    Posting my first impressions

Pros

Reference black levels (next to the latest Sharp AQUOS LCDs)
    Excellent Color reproduction
    Excellent background details and sharpness
    No sign of black level fluctuations observed so far
    Anti-glare screen

Cons

Contrast Ratio too bad. Picture is very dark and in store you may find the telly to be darker than PX70/75/77/700. When compared to the Bravia X2550 the white output level was way too low. Anti-glare may be one among the cause for low contrast.
    Color temperature seems to be a bit inaccurate.
    Slight False contours and posterization is present but far better than it's siblings.
    Shadow details still not as good as the PIO Advance Series (Improved 7th gen)

But don't expect any miracles with the PZ700 as I personally feel that it's HD ready siblings are better because of the Contrast Ratio.

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986
    And just goes to show that resolution means nothing without getting the rest right.

3. mark800

mark800
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,240
    and opens the door for the forthcoming Pioneers to be dramatically better.

4. s1m0n

s1m0n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Certainly not very encouraging...although thanks for checking them out!...

...There have been more positive reviews posted on the web, from US sources where the set is available....and so I have to ask if you saw the tvs in a regular shop, with bright light?....it seems to be common practice for tv shops to run plasmas on 'Vivid' settings, to make the image bright and colourful in the shop...indeed I wonder if the 'Vivid' setting was only invented for shop display...if anyone would actually use this setting at home?....Anyway, this would definitely show up the lower contrast/brightness levels of the PZ series, even though you wouldn't want those high levels at home...

5. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986
    I don't think the initial reports have been that great, they all seem to say it is not that bright and it could be a problem. I have a very darkish room, even during the day and I have always said the Panasonics are as bright as you would ever need, however, now I have bought a new one, the PX70 and I am using it in the conservatory it really could do with being alot brighter, it is OK for daytime viewing but nothing more than that. The PZ700 at half the contrast ratio, and better blacks, would not have enough impact I don't think.

6. s1m0n

s1m0n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah...reading the US AVSforum while this site was 'optimising' I saw a lot of discussion of the PZ750...and the available PZ700...and people disappointed with the display seen in a shop...then the counter argument of better colour and black levels/detail than the surrounding tvs, although less brightness...and comments that the 700 was the best 1080p in comparisons...but not the best for everything...eg. better black levels in Fujitsu...the Panasonic 65" 600 looked more dynamic....

...but at home, I guess it depends where you put it!....And there's all this talk of image retention and running in, meaning that you don't use anything like the full contrast or brightness range that the plasma is capable of, for fear of shortening it's life!

click here to go to the full AVSforums thread on the PZ750

7. lgans316

lgans316
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,790
    This telly may shine only in dark rooms (Not sure though).
    I am still not happy with the anti-glare coating coz it has taken away the color vibrancy and the brightness output causing the display to look dull in the stores. From off-angles the glossy reflective screens looked more vibrant and fluid.
    However the picture processing has been improved in the 10th gen. For ex, better background detailing, more blacks and minimizing of false contours. I am yet to check for Purple snakes.

If you are looking for ultimate sharpness and blacks I recommend the latest Sharp (sans viewing angle).

8. ozzzy189

ozzzy189

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    My tv lounge is dark on the whole, would this screen be a no no then ?

9. lgans316

lgans316
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,790
    This telly would be fine for dark rooms but in stores the latest Bravia and Sharp (not released outside Japan) looked better in terms of overall PQ. The BRAVIA as usual excelled in brightness and color whereas the Sharp outperformed in all aspects except viewing angle. The black levels in the Sharp were inky and didn't have any shady patch of gray or paleness that the Panny had. However the store was running HD feed and I couldn't check with SD feed thoroughly. I spent about 2 hours in assessing and comparing with various types of HD programs.

I have been a Plasma fanboy for years and it's shocking to see how LCD has overtaken the Plasma in terms of overall PQ. This telly is strictly for Panny fans ONLY.

10. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986

I agree.
    The latest LCDs are getting very good.

I saw the PX70 in a store with pretty low lighting and thought the blacks were terrible, if it wasn't for seeing one rounda mates house I wouldn't have bothered with it, but it is actually a very good screen. But even with low lights if they are hitting the screen at the wrong angle it can ruin the overall image quite badly.
    Compare that with LCD which thrive on being in a brightish enviroment and store demos really tell you sod all.

11. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Out of pure idle curiosity, what model are these Japan only (currently?) Sharp TVs?

12. mark800

mark800
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,240
    Plasmas still score on motion blur, despite LCD advances. I note also that a CNET review of the latest Sharp LCD identified problem banding.

13. lgans316

lgans316
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,790
    http://www.sharp.co.jp/aquos/lineup/rx1_42/index.html

This is one I am talking about. The black levels are mind blowing but viewing angle is pathetic.

Also the latest BRAVIAs too seem to look good but haven't checked them with all type of sources

BRAVIA KDL-40J5000
    BRAVIA KDL-40X2550

For sure Panasonic will be facing very tough competition.

14. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Nice enough looking telly.
    Seems Sharp have moved back to where they were some 2-3 years ago, before they dropped a bollock trying to price match Samsung - those were some very painful times.
    Buying 30% stake (or rather increasing their stake to that amount) in Loewe has done them no harm either.

15. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986
    Do you know what Loewe screens use the latest Sharp panels?? If any.

16. Chippy99

Chippy99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +518
    It really depends what you want it for, I guess. For watching footy on a Saturday afternoon, you will probably watch in a bright room and need high brightness. LCD is great for this.

But I don't want to watch an atmospheric movie with the lights on full. I want the "cinema" experience. (Who doesn't.) LCD's are completely crap at this. I have never seen one that can produce a decent amount of shadow detail and that has black levels low enough to be bearable in a dark room.

The Panasonic plasmas may not be perfect, but for movie viewing, I have not seen better.

Chip

17. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986
    Totally agree, I can live with a poorer picture during the day but I could not sacrifice anything when it comes to serious viewing, so I went with another plasma instead of an LCD at the last minute.

Guy

18. lgans316

lgans316
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,790
    I just don't recommend the FULL HD Panny unless they improve the Contrast Ratio.

19. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986
    But surely that depends on your viewing enviroment?

20. mark800

mark800
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,240
    I think we have to wait and see these TVs in the flesh. Some are raving about the PZ700, particularly when they get it back into a domestic environment, particularly for black levels and colour. The PZ700 may look dim in a shop when all TVs are set to vivid, but it's real world performance that will be important.

21. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986
    What you have to remember is these are about the same brightness as the PHD6 screens, and they were fine, no one moaned they weren't bright enough at the time, and looking at them now they still give one of the best images of any flat panel out there.
    Under shop lights the Panasonics really don't look too hot, even the PX70 looks washed out and not very punchy, get them in a normal enviroment and all that changes.

22. lgans316

lgans316
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,790
    A low contrast ratio will do good at home coz most of us watch with 50-60% of the max settings. The PZ700 may then meet all our expectations.

But in reality we all want to own a high contrast TV that can bring out the WOW factor and gives us a love at first sight feeling. To these people the PZ700 may bring disappointment.

At the momen the PZ700 may be bought only by the Panny fans or videophiles.