Panasonic Viera TH-42PX70B Fault - Blue/Pink vertical lines

DaveJ-UK

Standard Member
I bought my Panasonic Viera TH-42PX70B from John Lewis in May 2007, so it's covered by their 5 year warranty.

I've just got home after a holiday, turned it on, and it has a couple of thin dark blue and pink vertical lines running the full height of the screen, just to the right of the centre. It is present on all channels, AV inputs, etc.

It was unplugged while I was away, so it won't have been a power surge. I have no idea what might have caused it.

Has anyone else seen this fault on this model? Or another TV?

Is it likely to be permanent?

Thanks

DivideBYZero

Standard Member
I bought my Panasonic Viera TH-42PX70B from John Lewis in May 2007, so it's covered by their 5 year warranty.

I've just got home after a holiday, turned it on, and it has a couple of thin dark blue and pink vertical lines running the full height of the screen, just to the right of the centre. It is present on all channels, AV inputs, etc.

It was unplugged while I was away, so it won't have been a power surge. I have no idea what might have caused it.

Has anyone else seen this fault on this model? Or another TV?

Is it likely to be permanent?

Thanks

This is a common fault on the PX70, it is permanent, even if it goes away for a few days, it'll be back. There was a problem with the driver chips along the bottom of the PDP unit having dry joints. Call up the warranty number and have them repair or replace.

My PX70 was repaired a couple of years ago and I've had no problems since.

DaveJ-UK

Standard Member
Thank you. John Lewis have arranged for an engineer to visit this afternoon, who called to say it will need "a new screen" and to make sure it is off the wall and ready for them to collect. I did have my fingers crossed for a new set, which would need to be a newer model by now. Oh well. At least it's being repaired!

DivideBYZero

Standard Member
Yep, it'll have a new screen, i.e., the PDP unit inside will be replaced. All the supporting components will stay as is.

In my experience the PX70 is a great display. Yes it's 'only' 720p, but other than watching BluRay this is of little consequence due to all other HD delivery methods being almost exclusively at this resolution.

RustySpoons

The First lot of PX70B's had this issue, they then changed the revision to the PX70BA which is modified to stop this happening, have a look on the back of the set to see if it's a B or BA revision, would be interesting to know.

If it is the B version, it might be worth asking them to fit the bit's that make it a BA, it's got something to do with the frame on the PDP, something shorts out on the early version against the frame iirc.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom