1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Viera settings???

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Steffche, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Steffche

Steffche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Just hoping to get some feedback on what settings others have for their 42" Viera's. I know there might be a difference between the model sold iin the UK versus the HD model sold here in Oz...but still curious none the less. I'm mainly concerned with DVD via component and HDTV via component connections...what picture settings do you have for each of these?

eg,

Picture (Normal or Cinema)
    COntrast:
    Brightness:
    Sharpness:
    Color:
    Color temp:
    MPEG NR:

Many thanks!

2. Steffche

Steffche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why is it so hard to get a response to this type of question??? I have posted it in a few other forums and had no responses yet.

WHY??? :lease: :lease: :lease:

3. Steffche

Steffche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reason I ask is because I used DVE to calibrate my display the other night and found the brightness had to be cranked up to a whopping 68 according to the test pattern.

Could it be that the Viera's are suitable for the DVE setup dicsc because of the "real black drive" system they use???

Also, someone else has previously commented on the different picture settings (normal, cinema, etc...) and they said that there is a difference between them. This is true if you set say the brightness contrast etc all to 50% and then switch between cinema and normal....but if you calibrate each setting with DVE...they both look exactly the same...

So what really is the difference between the different picture settings?

4. Andy C

Andy C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't really comment much as I've only had the TV a week and so I'm still running it in on low settings. I don't have numbers on my controls, only a slider, however it's currently set at approx...

Contrast 40%
    Brightness 40%
    Colour 55%
    Colour Temp Normal
    Sharpness 60%
    MPEG NR On

In the evening the colours look great with those settings, although when there's a lot of ambient light on a sunny day it's quite dark (which is to be expected).

I'll reply again in another week or so once I have tried DVE myself.

Andy.

5. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

Its not my friend, just some times its takes a bit of time thats all. :D

Put the viera in normal mode and calibrate in that setting.
    In my experince that is the best one for all round tv and dvd watching.
    You will find that contrast and brightness are very much tied toghether on the Vierra and it may take a bit of going backwards and forwards between the two settings to get it right.
    The contrast setting on mine is about 3/4 or slightly under.
    The colour and brightness are just over the half way mark.
    Sharpness is two notches from the bottom end of the scale and all things like noise reduction are turned off(theses can create more problems then they cure :rolleyes: )
    At the end of the day though the picture will never look right unless you like it ;) and because most tvs and plasmas are set up differently when they are at the factory , my ideal settings with DVE may be different to yours. :)

6. Flystar

Flystar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    After messing round for a week and covering about 100 hours so far, I reckon the best PQ settings for general NTL Cable TV broadcasts are as follows :-

Picture Mode: NORMAL
    COntrast: left on default (About 3/4 of slider bar)
    Brightness: 3 notches up from default
    Sharpness: 1 notch up from default
    Color: 4 notches down from default (I notice default gives far too much colour when watching NTL through RGB)
    Color temp: NORMAL
    MPEG NR: OFF
    PN-NR: OFF

Also, when watching NTL football matches or fast moving sports I set MPEG NR to Min and this helps reduce the shimmering noticeably.

PS. When watching DVD in progressive scan component connection through my Denon DHT-500SD I always hit the N button on the controller as I find everything perfect on standard settings when viewing DVD's. Shame you can't store different settings per input type and not just per TV picture mode.

In addition, I think the picture improved noticeably, especially Viera via VGA to PC when I installed a load of ferrite cores on every power lead that didn't have one and two on my 5 metre VGA cable.

I am not worried bout scaremongering over screen burn. The Viera is supposed to be better than most at combatting this and there is absolutely no mention about lowering settings for any so-called 'run-in' period in the manual. I like to give those phosphors a good workout from the off. I have spent at least 35 hours on the Viera surfing the net with little in the way of moving images and have had no problems. PQ is amazing !! Anyhow, there have been no reports of screen burn from anyone on this board with a Viera and I have a 5 year John Lewis warranty if anything does happen.

Hope this helps.

Fly

7. Steffche

Steffche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well...it kinda helps. Don't your models have numbers on the scales? Mine ranges from 0-100 for all the settings.

Last night I spent a few hours going through the DVE disk to calibrate my Viera. I actually found that the "cinema" setting showed the most acurate grey-scale on the grey-scale ramp test pattern (I think it's title 12, chapter 14). The idea is that the grey boxes are meant to go from black to white in an even step. "Normal" mode seemed to go from black to sudden grey without even steps in between. So, having decided "Cinema" was the mode for me, I started out having contrast set to 50 (half way). Brightness was then set using the pluge pattern....set to 68. Then I went back to the grey ramp pattern to double check the contrast, and found that by reducing contrast a little (to 46) this gace the smoothes transition from black to white. I then went to title 13 (resolution...something???) chapter (?? can't remember...the SMTPE pattern...the one that has square boxes which start at white and go to black in 10% steps around the centre of the screen). Well, this pattern looked almost perfect!!! Previously on "Normal mode" the 80% 90% and 100% black boxes all looked the same...now they looked exactly 10% darker than each other.

ANyway...I was very excited at this point to put on a movie to see the great results.....and was I disappointed! Brightness was way too high....images looked washed out....dark areas looked all milky and dirty....I was so let down.

Ok, dropping brightness around 10 notches to 58 seemed to get rid of this problem, but then that defeats the whole purpose of using DVE!!!

Is there something I'm doing wrong here?? Is perhaps my contrast set too low, and therefor I have to push brightness too high in the test patterns???

Is my DVD player (DVDR75 philips) no good at displaying blacks/dark greys???

PLEASE...ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED...... :lease:

8. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,
    I have a new viera and was quite happy with the PQ. But on reading various user comments I decided to have it professionally calibrated.After all, my equipment cost quite a lot of money, why not a little more to see it at its best?
    This forum had good things to say about Gordon at AV Convergent so I got him in.

http://www.convergent-av.co.uk/home.html

He charges £250 and spent a couple of hours or so on the screen.
    The overscan was miles out. The Blue content was also far too high.
    Anyway, I am pleased with the outcome. The picture on C.DVD and sky is now so natural, with a richer, deeper look. I am very pleased.
    Obviously Gordon cannot help you down under (not for the same price!)
    but you may be able to find the same service.
    Do it!