1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Viera Questions (yes, another thread!)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Andy C, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Andy C

Andy C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

I'm looking at buying a Panasonic 37" Viera soon but I have a few of questions which I'm hoping some kind soul may answer...

1. I believe AV2 can output the audio for whatever is being displayed to an amp. Can you get a cable which has a SCART plug allowing both S-Video (AV2 is S-Video) and audio in aswell as audio out? I would like the ability to still use this socket as a video input aswell as an audio feed to my amp.

2. It appears you need to use AV4 as the audio input when using component video. Is this correct? If so, it's a shame as you loose an RGB input which would be handy for a games console or network video streaming unit.

3. Does the TV have any vertical picture shift controls? If so, does it have a seperate adjustment for each input (AV1, AV2, Component, etc.)?

Many thanks in advance for any replies. :)

Andy.

2. baccus

baccus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. there is an audio out socket on the tv which you can use for whatever is on the screen at the time.

2. correct

3. not that i've seen yet, probably not.( but there may be a service menu that i don't know about??).

Barry.

3. red severn

red severn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    andy
    i have the 37 and av4 rgb scart is not wasted as it is selectable as a input on the remote control av4 (rgb) av4s (svid) av4c (componant) at first i thought this was a complecated way of doing things but it helps not having av4 av5 av6 when using your remote to select one you will have to buy cable made to your requirements or alter one yourself
    regards red.

4. Andy C

Andy C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies so far folks. :)

Another quickie though... do plasma screens suffer from RGB shift the same as many CRTs?

Andy.

5. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    He he he, I startred a thread like this the other day :D . see my other posts. it does answer some of your questions. My viera is very good but the over scan is a bit out. you can get in to the service menu to adjust h-amp and v-amp but I am having a few difficults in doing this. again see my thread "questions for viera owners) I am currntly awiting some info on service menu adjustments. once I have this I will post a full review. :)

6. Si133

Si133

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This thread is not a million miles away from my query. Can someone help.

I have the component and AV4 of my Viera taken up by my e55 dvd recorder. I want to connect my PC to the back of the screen (not the VGA). Which socket should I use and what is the best set up, including the audio?

My PC graphics card has an s-video out on it.

Thanks

7. Andy C

Andy C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm guessing the best way would be if you had a cable made up to take the s-video & audio from the PC to a SCART plug which would go to AV2.

Andy.

8. Andy C

Andy C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I realise it can be done via the service menu, but this affects all inputs.

I have a TiVo which creates it's own vertical shift up when using RGB. On my Panasonic CRT I adjusted the screen via the service menu to centre the TiVo picture. However, when watching a DVD via a different input (S-Video or Component) the picture is too low down. It's a pain having to use the service menu when wanting to use different inputs. I'm sure Panasonic displays such as the PW6 allow separate screen adjustments for each input and I was hoping the Viera did the same.

It's interesting that you mention overscan though. I didn't think plasma or LCD sets suffered this way like the good old CRT. Obviously they do!

Andy.

9. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    yes the over scan is a problem but not a big one to be honest. Just wish I could figuer how to sort it out. :)

10. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    No one has any problems with over scan on their viera? No one knows the correct way to sort it out ? :)

11. bowler

bowler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If they have got problems maybe they dont even know it.

12. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If by overscan you mean that the picture shifts to one side or the other when viewing different sources, my one does not do it. Is this what is happening with other users?

13. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    yep could be true. I test all my displays with a pattern on the digital video essentials disc. There is an over scan pattern on this disc and is the best way to tell how much the set does do it.
    I can get in to the service menu but in order to adjust H-amp and V-amp is to go in to service 2. the only way to do this is to go to channel 99. once you are in service 2 though you dont seem to be able to change channel to get back to the pattern on the dvd player. Also adjusting H amp and v amp while there is nothing but a snowy picture just seems to move the postion of the whole screen not bring in the sides and top to sort the over scan out.

Like i said I must be doing something wrong :confused: :confused:

Relly could use some help on this as it is the only thing spoiling my new piece of kit.

14. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
  15. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Davidsheekey,
    I read your attachment with interest.
    However if your TV and if that report is correct all TV's overscan to some degree, how do you know it is doing it, as you can not see it?
    In my opinion the real problem with the way the Pannys display a non wide screen picture, is the way the just fit feature works. I can see distortion at the edges where it is slightly stretched. I thought my old Philips set did a better job by slightly blowing the picture up, so that it was all in proportion.
    I know you have the zoom1 format on the Panny, but this blows it up to much and you lose the top of peoples heads on close ups.

16. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    There is a test pattern on the digital video essential dvd that allows you to check for overscan. Mine is just past the 5% saf action zone on the pattern at the sides of the tv. Top and bottom are ok. I know tv bradcasters allow for over scan but movie makers do not. I watch a lot of dvds and with 5% over scan on both sides of the picture even in anamorphic wide mode you do miss some of the picture. granted its not a lot but its annoying when the credits for a film are placed on the very edge of the screen and the first letter of a name is missing. That in it self does not worry me but because I can see that some of the movie credit is missing it reminds me that I am missing some of the picture. Oh well, might post a specific thread on this and see what happens. so far ever I have asked have not been able to help. :)

17. red severn

red severn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    anyone know of a link or info on the plasma sevice menu settings and what they do i have seen one before but can i find it no
    rgards red

18. john.hem

john.hem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    Hi, how do you access and exit the service menu on the Viera. Any information would be most welcome as I’m thinking of purchasing one of these in the near future.

John
    :smashin: