1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

panasonic viera - newby questions & connections

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by fitguy, Jan 4, 2005.

1. fitguy

fitguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi, been reading this this forum for a while, and finally over christmas managed to sneak into the house a 37'' panasonic viera (im sure she didn't notice!!)

Its set up with a panasonic dmr e50 which I use for recording and playback via IXOS XHT611-300 flat scart.

answers to the following questions would be gratefully received:

- on playback of some dvds, and whilst watching tv (both analogue & DVB) I get a lot of (what I call) 'pixeling' where the colour 'blocks' (both light and dark colours). I've turned on the relevent mpeg and other bits that are supposed to stop this, on the tv, and also tried to adjust the brightness & contrast to try and get rid of it, but still it carrys on.

- what should I be using to get the best picture from the DVD - scart (as above) or s-video (or these new fangled box thingys). every person I speak to has a different reason, and opinion, is there a difinitive answer?

- the reason I bought this screen is that it stood out in the shop due to the picture clarity and brightness. Now it's home everything seems to be darker than my old (normal) tv. Even adjusting the brightness and contrastdoesn't seem to bring it to 'normal' levels. Is there a test screen I can find somewhere?

- finally I live in a pretty poor area for dvb and was just wondering what channels other people actually get. At the moment I have bbc1, 2, 3 & 4, channel 5 a couple of music channels, loads of shopping channels and the news and radio stations. Does anyone get itv & itv2??

many thanks.....

2. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    To get the very best picture from a dvd player you need to connect via component, if your dvd player doesn't have these outputs, then via RGB scart. If your Viera is like my 42" one scarts 1 and 4 support RGB (you need to tell your dvd player to output in this format), next is s-video, then last composite (yellow, white and red plugs).

Have you knocked it out of dynamic mode. I found this mode seemed to highlight any pixelling that may be going on. I have mine set on normal, with all the settings about half way and am very happy with the picture. You do need to be sat away from the tv though because if you go to close you can see noise but from a normal viewing distance it isn't noticeable.

I get loads of Freeview channels but use Sky for general viewing.

3. fitguy

fitguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Many thanks..

Right, understanding most of that, but what is connecting via 'component'.??.....And where do I get them?

I have taken it out of 'dynamic' but am getting the same thing on both normal and cinema (both @ half settings), and as for auto, this seems to be so dark.

Also when I unpacked the tv I had loads of ferrite cores. From reading the instructions they seem to be needed when fitting a computer to the screen, but then noticed the mains plug has them. Should I be fitting them to the scart lead too?

4. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the ferrites are only needed if you're using unscreened cable (eg the connection lead supplied with a digital camera, though they often have ferrite cores already). Good quality scart would be screened anyway I believe i.e. a conductive layer wrapped round all the signal cables to protect against noise.

It sounds like you have bad Freeview reception. Even if you can get BBC channels not a good sign if you're missing some from other multiplexes. I think this could explain the colour blocking you're seeing. Plasmas (especially good ones like Viera) ruthlessly expose shortcomings in picture source. I only bought my Viera after confirming that I had very good local Freeview reception (and the aerial was installed with freeview in mind so is probably one of those wideband thingys, or at least the installer asssured me I'd get great freeview reception after he tested it and I do get max or nearly max signal on any of the monitors for this in freeview boxes or the viera itself).

You should consider upgrading your aerial, or at least getting someone in to give you frank opinion on whether a new aerial would improve your reception.

5. hao

hao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a new digital aerial and can get the following on my 37"Viera. Channels
    1 BBC1,2 BBC2,3 ITV1,4 CH4,5 CH5,6 ITV2, 7 BBC3, 10 Sky Travel, 12 UKTV History, 15 ABC1, 16 QVC, 18 The Hits, 19 Bright Ideas, 20 FTM, 21 TFM, 30 CBBC, 31 Cartoons, 34 ITV3, 40 News 24, 42 Sky News, 43 Sports News.
    There are a few more selling channels but these seem to be the free ones. A further 10 can be obtained for £7.99 a month but these can be viewed on sky anyway.

6. hao

hao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Further to my last. I get good reception on most channels, depending on the quality of the input. The ferrite things I put on all the power leads jusy to use them up. I found the cinema mode to look the best with the settings about half way and after 12 days I swear it keeps looking better, or is it my imagination.

7. THE BOARS

THE BOARS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    No i dont think personally its your imagination i too have a viera 42 and as posted earlier i had the same probs ie too dark grainy picture but i swear too after about a week or too my picture is better now than before then :clap: