Panasonic Viera link menu disappeared

Steven33

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I hope someone with experience with Panasonic tv’s can help with an unusual problem that has arisen concerning the viera link function in my system. I have a Panasonic TX32LXD70 and a Onkyo HT R380 receiver (with a Pioneer BDP-140 blu ray player and a PS3 linked to the receiver via the appropriate hdmi inputs on the receiver if that matters). I have the TV/receiver connected with a QED hdmi performance 1.3 cable from the receiver out terminal to the hdmi 1 terminal on the tv.

Up until recently, when I pressed the ‘viera link’ button on the remote the ‘viera link menu’ would be displayed. In this menu there was two sub-menus; ‘viera link control’ and ‘speaker selection’. ‘Viera link control’ would allow me to cycle through various components so they could be controlled by the tv remote e.g. recorder / player / home cinema / video camera. I had this set to home cinema which allowed me to control volume using the tv remote.

The ‘speaker selection’ sub menu allowed me to select the tv speakers or the home cinema speakers to output the sound from the connected components.

Yesterday, when I switched my system on to watch a film, when I pressed the ‘viera link’ button the ‘viera link menu’ only displays the ‘viera link control’ sub menu i.e. the speaker selection sub menu has disappeared completely! And the ‘viera link control’ sub menu no longer allows me to cycle through the options listed above i.e. the only available option is ‘others’ and when I select this I get the message ‘Please use the other’s remote controller’. This means I can’t control the receiver with the tv remote but more annoyingly, I can’t select to have the sound coming from the tv or the surround sound speakers i.e. it comes out through both (when watching a blu-ray/using the PS3).
I have tried the ‘preparation’ procedures as outlined in the tv manual, resetting the tv / receiver to their factory settings, turned on the hdmi control on both components, changed the hdmi from terminal 1 on the tv to terminal 2 and tried several hdmi cables. Nothing seems to revert the system to the way it was and I cannot get the full functionality of the viera link menu back. I cannot for the life of me work it out as nothing changed from when it was working to now.

If anyone as any advice or has heard of this problem before, I would appreciate it immensely.

Thanks, Steve

Anyone? If there is a problem I'm keen to get it fixed as my JL 5 year warranty runs out in a few months!

The symptom suggest link communication has been lost between the TV and the receiver.

I have known HDMI interfaces get curious and inexplicable lockups like this before that have only been cured by hard-resetting all devices.
So it is the next thing to try.

You must follow this procedure in an exact sequence:

1 - Disconnect the power from all devices for at least 15 minutes.
Whilst disconnected, disconnect all HDMI leads.

2 -Reconnect power and power up all devices and let them run for 2 minutes.

3 - Switch all devices off.

4 - Reconnect all HDMI leads in as in the original configuration.

5 - Switch on all devices, EXCEPT the TV, and run for 2 minutes.

6 - Now switch on the TV.

Hopefully that might change matters - Good luck.

hi gavin,

followed your instructions exactly, still nothing. this is so odd, i would have expected after a hard reset for the components to be 'as new' and therefore handshake fine, but it seems they still aren't.

one question, in step 3 do you mean turn off the devices normally or at the plug socket again? i turned them off as you normally would, dont know if you meant to turn them off at the wall again?

Last edited:
hi gavin,

followed your instructions exactly, still nothing. this is so odd, i would have expected after a hard reset for the components to be 'as new' and therefore handshake fine, but it seems they still aren't.

one question, in step 3 do you mean turn off the devices normally or at the plug socket again? i turned them off as you normally would, dont know if you meant to turn them off at the wall again?

I meant normal turn off, not power disconnection.

I have no further suggestions unfortunately, other than to contact Panasonic Customer services and report the issue to them, explaining what you you have done so far to try to remedy the problem.

Contact points are here.

Thanks for your help, perhaps this is one of these things that will come back itself randomly. I have already contacted panasonic but they never got back to me. I wonder if its worth the hassle of chasing them up!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom