1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Viera and Diga Trade Presentation

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Ekko Star, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Ok guys as promised I attended the presentation tonight and listened through for all the details and then had a quick look at the models. They only had 2 plasmas on show really worthy of note, one was the 37PV500 HD ready and the other 42PE50 SD.

Here are some points I noted....

1. All new G8 panel
    2. New Gas used in the cell structure, with brightness emitted up by 10%.
    3. 2048 shades of every colour = 8.6 Billion colours on offer.
    4. Gradation levels move up from 1024 to 2048.
    5. New 3D colour management levels
    6. Sub-pixel controller- no longer a 9 cell array, now singular cell control, results in very smooth diagonals.
    7. 4000:1 Contrast SD Panel, 3000:1 HD panel
    8. Motion Disturbance
    9. New EPG - similar to SKY. Very, very fast almost instantaneous call up ! Comprehensive and selectable views, landscape & portrait, programme type etc.
    10. SD card slot on HD Panels only. Will playback & record MPEG4 direct to SD card. Results are astonishing ! Can record both Analogue and Digital signal to an SD card. Also any input via AV1 can be recorded to the card as well !
    11. European Information & Communication Technology Industry Association (EICTA) HD Compliant & Ready as laid out in January 2005
    12. 1280x720 @ 50Hz/60Hz 720P - 1920x1080 @50Hz/60Hz 1080i. Fully Compliant on both DVI/HDMI. Both support HDCP High Band Copy Protection
    13. SD model accepts the above resolutions and frequency and will downscale.
    14. SD models no longer have SD card slots. HD models have an unconcealed SD slot along the bottom right of the screen.
    15. HD models have a front flap that conceals PC card slot, composite and S-Svid conections. SD model have no front inputs.
    16. Dsub and HDMI (HD) on the rear panel.
    17. HD floor stands have new improved cable tidy system. SD models will remain similar to current stand.
    18. Pricing was not confirmed but expect the PE50 range to be less than PE30. HD unknown and will be shipped out in June/July.
    19. New remote control, very ergonomic and vast improvement on current one.

HTH some folks :)

2. graham w

graham w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds great but a long wait till June!

3. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,522
    Did you get to see them in action? HD, SD sources...

Any Pics?

4. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,467
    Yeah come on, what was the PQ like?

Cheers,
    Andy

5. Moncs

Moncs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I thought the PV500 series was out in May

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    New gas? smells a bit like methane to me. I'd love to measure the 10% increase in brightness.

7. PioRow

PioRow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Sounds like the business..................JUNE!!!!
    I cant wait that long!!

8. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Still waiting Ekko Star, we're an impatient lot! ;)

9. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    June/July :eek:

10. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, this is more like the product overall specs than a report on how they actually perform, which TBH is what I expected, esp. on the PV500's Ekko! ;)

As for the brightness increase, since I now own a 42PA50E (the Europe version of 42PE50B) all I can say is I do firmly believe there _is_ an improvement there, in fact that's something that stroke me the very first moment I saw the 42PA50 in a store (where I could compare with 7th gen panel btw). In fact I would have thought we're talking about more like 20% improvement or s'thing, but hey if Panny says 10% I'm happy with it! ;)

And overall happy with the 42PA50 btw, slick black/silver design (I'll get the nicer design stand when it's available :D ), nice convenient telco, basic TV functionalities but that's fine by me for the next 18 months (I'm planning on upgrading to "HD" then), and of course a great pic on DVD's, those black levels :eek: and pic depth are just awesome... :thumbsup:
    Waiting for a new G.C. for my HCPC now, that new card supports Y,Pb,Pr (in addition to VGA and DVI) and is able to generate 720p50 and 1080i50, which the 42PA50 both supports via Component input... :cool:

A tad disappointed with the pic on Cable TV however (Scart RGB connected to plasma), only a few channels (Canal+, TPS namely) exhibit a good enough picture, esp. movies. Some channels are outright unwatchable, boy you can learn how MPEG2 operates its compression scheme working on 8x8 pix squares or s'thing... :mad:
    But this ain't an issue with the plasma, if anything it's more the source - and the fact that 42" is definitely too large *for TV viewing* (not DVDs) with an 8" viewing distance...

Oh yes, the one thing that bothers me right now is that I'm *consistently* getting solarisation/false contouring on moving faces/objects (while they're moving) with the Cable TV signal (NONE of this with DVD, to be sure), s'thing I thought the Panny was able to completely eliminate, even on mediocre sources... :(

Anyone cares to comment on this? I've moved down contrast and brightness which improved things a bit but the artefact is still there for sure...

MAW, where are you mate, just hiding right...? :D :hiya:

11. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    They did not have HD sources into them :( Only DVB and 576 PS from the DVD Recorders. It was a sit down and listen presentation and everything was set up by them, obviously not to show the PV500 at it's very best !

The G8 screens are definately brighter though yet retain 4000:1. The PE50 looked very impressive and could be good value. The 10% increase is official.

The PV500 has a very nice frame with bevelled edges and micropore covered speakers (gone is the slit). Picture looked good but with DVB only the PE looked better. Good news is it is EICTA HD compliant and the PE's will also accept 720P @50Hz and downscale HD res accordingly.

12. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I enquired at my local dealer about 42PV500 - apparently they are no longer stocking Panasonic plasmas for display as they are cheesed off with people looking in store then buying elsewhere from internet traders.
    However - they will special order one for me.
    The specification looks just what I need to replace my Philips 42".

Does anybody know if it is Made In China, Czechkoslovakia or Japan - please ? :cool:

13. Goofy

Goofy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I saw one of the new TH42PE50 panels in a shop - and it looked absolutely stunning!! Even shapelier than before and the picture was amazing - even if they did run one of the Pixar cartoon films from a cheap Sony DVD (£50) with component to Scart. You could say it was love at first sight! And the price was amazing too - £1999 without stand!! Should be hugely popular.

14. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    which shop goofy?

i may sneak a peek.

15. graham w

graham w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  16. Goofy

Goofy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I saw it in Powerhouse - I think it is a chain of about 100 outlets. I thought it was a really good price - considering you have recourse to a local shop. Their website still shows the old model at £500 more!

17. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    which branch of powerhouse?

thanks.

18. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,522
  19. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,522
    Will these sets calibrate easily?

20. dempsey

dempsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I saw the PV500 running at the trade show it was running blu-ray DVD and looked absolutely fantastic :D