Panasonic Viera 42" TH-42PX70PED vs Hitachi 42PD9700 42"

snake-hips

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys looking at buying new 42" tv, been trying to compare the 2 mentioned above.

Are there any threads, websites which compare the 2?

Or if anyone has any opinion on which 1 would be the best would welcome it.

I watch a lot of sport & dont really play computer games if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

In my opinion the PX70 is a better screen, I don't like the 'brownish' blacks of the Hitachi....

There is only one test of the new Panny at www.hdtvtest.co.uk

We sell both these tv's in the shop i work in and to be honest the hitachi is really bad. The contrast is awfull, colours vear towards yellow, it cant do white's and it is an alis screen which cause's a flickering effect kind of like the old 50hz CRT's. i would love to recommend the panny to but that also has got a few problems with its picture purple snake effect being just one of them. i do have the viera panny at home and to be honest i kinda wished i had just saved up for a little longer and got the pioneer 427, even tho it does have a bad problem with screen burn, this does seems to sort itself out after about 200 hours of use tho. The Pioneer G8 screens are due out soon so it might be worth waiting to see what there like, as the G8 model i saw looked really REALLY, good.

Eh? This is the first I've heard of purple snakes on the PX70

As it says in my profile i'm also in the industry and I also own the Hitachi 42PD9700 so you might call me biased.
But the Hitachi has many hidden strengths.But out of the box the Panny is more impressive.
But I must take issue with Spudsys opinion of the Hitachi I suggest you look in the colour management section in the 3rd screen of the picture settings menu this is where you can unlock the magic the Hitachi is capable of.

Also the alis panel has one major advantage it works with Sky-HDs 1080i native resolution beatifully.

Factor in the excellent build quality and raft of extra features it has to be considered.

Snake hips you must get to a dealer that can set these screens up properly and that can demo the sets on a wide range of material from Broadcast HD through HD-DVD and BLU-RAY , normal DVD and finally and most often overlooked normal SD TV material

I think that it would be closer than you'd think

Regards to all

spudsy you must sit 2ft from the tv if you are seeing purple snakes!!!!

i much prefer the picture performance on the panny over my mates 427xd

The inky blacks are far better, not worth £4000 of my extra cash for the pioneer, that has been spent on an OPPO upscaler DVD, and more games for my 360 :)

those pioneer G8 models will cost a fortune, 427s are still going for £1300 without a stand, the G8s will probably only be 1080 models costing a couple of grand............

We sell both these tv's in the shop i work in and to be honest the hitachi is really bad. The contrast is awfull, colours vear towards yellow, it cant do white's and it is an alis screen which cause's a flickering effect kind of like the old 50hz CRT's. i would love to recommend the panny to but that also has got a few problems with its picture purple snake effect being just one of them. i do have the viera panny at home and to be honest i kinda wished i had just saved up for a little longer and got the pioneer 427, even tho it does have a bad problem with screen burn, this does seems to sort itself out after about 200 hours of use tho. The Pioneer G8 screens are due out soon so it might be worth waiting to see what there like, as the G8 model i saw looked really REALLY, good.

Why did you buy the Panasonic when it was clear to see where you work it wasn't to your liking, and why not take it back if you weren't satisfied?

There are no reported snake issues with the PanX70 unless your face is stuck to the screen.

spudsy you are clearly a Pioneer fanboy, so why dont you stop trolling these forums with complete rubbish about the px70.

There are a lot of proud (extremely happy) owners on here, and several people who are still on the fence considering purchasing the set based on these forums comments.

Professional reviews have already stated that the purple snake issue is nothing like px60, and you would have to be sat 3ft from sat AND actively look for them.

Somehow I dont think you would set a tv up in a shop that had them? Why would your shop even sell them if they are c@ap??!! would that even make sense?!

If you are not going to make truthful, informative comments that help people dont bother amigo.............go troll elsewhere!

decisions, decisions....

do you think that the panasonic might drop in price considerably over the next couple of months?
is there generally a summer sale frenzy on tv's? (I guess big sales are pre Christmas).

I have just moved into a new flat & money could be a bit tight for few months so cheapest price possible is always welcome & fancy this with a cabinet.

The hitachi we have in our store was set up by a hitachi rep using there own demo buffalo HDdvd player and with skyHD, and i dont know how i could possibly be a pioneer fan boy when
1/ i have a panasonic myself. (and anyway going on pioneer training days is enough to put any one off them for life)
2/ When i was commenting on the purple snake effect i was on about the px60 because that is the model i have, my bad for not explaining that.
and in reguards to going into the hitachi menu to sort the colour problems out, i just took it for granted that not everybody has got hours to spare to trawling through menu's and settings to sort a picture out, that, to be fair, should have been done in the factory.
Lol, it doesn't take to much to set you lot off does it.

If you do go for the Panasonic 42PX70 you have opt for this set on the basis of the UK reviews or reviews from UK buyers.

Seem to be differences in spec for the 42PX70 UK model when compared to the same model produced for other European countries.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom