Panasonic Viera 42" TH-42PV71 First Impressions

Romero

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Well got my Panasonic yesterday from Germany, and took the day to set it up and play around with it, and have been impressed so far.

The set arrived ok from Germany, well packaged and took about 15 minutes to get it setup on its pedestal and get it powered up.

Ran it through a couple of tests using PS3/XBOX360/Dreambox and everything is fine.

I've stuck up a site with some pictures of the set running and during setup. Sorry its pretty basic, but I'll improve it in the coming days. Pictures here:-
http://members.chello.ie/manonfire/default.htm

Rgd's

Romero ;)

Brilliant.
Sadly Andy Gray looks as bad as any other time I've seen him.
Ah well, the perfect TV is out there somewhere.......:rotfl:

The downside looks like the internal analog tuner may not pick up UK broadcasts, with no UK option in the country listing.
Then again, a manual search once you've done the Ireland one, may prove more fruitful.

Did you play with any of the functions the PX doesn't have - 100Hz and MPEG-NR?

Brilliant.
The downside looks like the internal analog tuner may not pick up UK broadcasts, with no UK option in the country listing.
Then again, a manual search once you've done the Ireland one, may prove more fruitful.

Did you play with any of the functions the PX doesn't have - 100Hz and MPEG-NR?

The analogue tuner should pick up UK broadcasts as the PV71 does have a PAL I tuner as well as the other PAL variants.

So for country selection your best bet will be to choose the E. Eu option which probably scans all frequencies as opposed to country-specific ones which appear in the list.

Very pleased that your TV has arrived & thanks for taking the time to put up fotos on the separate website :thumbsup:

Hi Romero,

Glad to see it came for ye, looking really good, the pictures are excellent :thumbsup:

I'm still waiting for mine, I rang them today and they told me they were waiting for my DVD player to come in before they shipped the TV, so after a little moan on my behalf she said she would dispatch the TV tomorrow :clap:

Which company delivered it to your door, an Post?

And have you played around with the 50hz/100hz option?

Hi Fred,

glad to hear your TV will be shipping tomorrow should be next thursday/Friday when you get it, don't worry the shipping company will give u a call the day before from the delivery company called DSV ( www.dsv.com/ie). I had a play on the 50/100hz on ITV1 via satellite on RGB and it doesn't work the way I envisaged based on my experiece of my old panny crt with 100hz i.e. with 100hz off I could spot the flicker on the CRT. But on Plasma the only affect that I can see is the picture goes a shade darker on 50hz. That is all I could not spot any kind of flicker at 100hz, will continue testing to see if I can spot any use.

Romero ;)

romero - i am also interested in purchasing a plasma from germany and haven't found a good dealer yet. where do you live? what was the cost for shipping? what company did you purchase the plasma from? did you get the VAT tax back? many, many thanx!

romero - i am also interested in purchasing a plasma from germany and haven't found a good dealer yet. where do you live? what was the cost for shipping? what company did you purchase the plasma from? did you get the VAT tax back? many, many thanx!

There's another member in the forum who got the German company Romero used to price-match with another German company which they did. If I remember the price-match would have come to something like £80 less.

Romero used Technik Direkt ;)

thanx! what's the difference between the PX-70 and the PV-71? are they essentially the same TV?

thanx! what's the difference between the PX-70 and the PV-71? are they essentially the same TV?

PV doesn't have a digital 'Freeview' tuner.

PV also have a few other user function which PX does not.

Apart from that they are, or at least should be the same.

Hi Fred,

glad to hear your TV will be shipping tomorrow should be next thursday/Friday when you get it, don't worry the shipping company will give u a call the day before from the delivery company called DSV ( www.dsv.com/ie). I had a play on the 50/100hz on ITV1 via satellite on RGB and it doesn't work the way I envisaged based on my experiece of my old panny crt with 100hz i.e. with 100hz off I could spot the flicker on the CRT. But on Plasma the only affect that I can see is the picture goes a shade darker on 50hz. That is all I could not spot any kind of flicker at 100hz, will continue testing to see if I can spot any use.

Romero ;)

Romero, that's interesting - I wonder if it's very source dependent. Yesterday I got my first in-person glimpse of a Spanish PX70E. I got the salesperson to let me into the menus, and the 2nd thing I did was toggle the 100Hz/50Hz a few times. A few times was all it took: at 50hz the flicker was obnoxiously visible, don't think I could live with it. This was with a cheapo DVD player feeding Little Miss Sunshine :) I am ready to bet that UK sets are locked at 100hz. :thumbsup:

Oh, the 1st thing I did? Take it out of Dynamic mode, which was making the PQ frighteningly bad. Everything that didn't have a purple border had a green flashing one! :eek:

CHFels

Great Pics, could you please take a shot while playing a ps3 game at 1080 via hdmi? I'm wondering about the quality.... THX

Don't be so sure as to assume the UK have 100Hz versions - if they did, I believe Panasonic would've highlighted this as another marketing plus point.
I'll almost guarantee you'll see the 100Hz benefit lauded by Panasonic in the 80/800 series next year.
Same for MPEG NR.

There's another member in the forum who got the German company Romero used to price-match with another German company which they did. If I remember the price-match would have come to something like ÂŁ80 less.

Romero used Technik Direkt ;)

it was me who got the PM from TechnikDirekt. Got a price reduced from €1470 to €1350 (+€80 delivery) :cool:

I asked them to pricematch against a site with €1285. you should have no problem finding a site using google or froogle etc. I didn't tell them that that site also quoted a delivery cost of €140. they must have found that out as their price match was practially identical cost incl. delivery.

however all their first batch of tv's sold out the day before, so have to wait for a few weeks now.:( :(

So Starre - Tech Direkt seem to be well regarded on forums, have a website in english so can read all their T&C, good delivery (see Romero's details earlier in thread), can call them and speak to person in english....

:thumbsup:

Yep that was Brian who did the pricematch, me being the impatiant one just jumped in and now trying to convinve Technikdirekt to give me some monies back. I'll be updating my site later on, hope to have some Screenshots from Xbox 360 & PS3.

Romero ;)

Hey Romero - can you check the screen on your PV71.

Some people are stating that Panasonic.de confirmed that all german models have the reflective coating?

See their comments on main PX70 thread, the posts are number ~1550 mark.

if so, another bonus!!:rotfl:

Hey Romero - can you check the screen on your PV71.

Some people are stating that Panasonic.de confirmed that all german models have the reflective coating?

See their comments on main PX70 thread, the posts are number ~1550 mark.

if so, another bonus!!:rotfl:

It's true that that seems to be the implication of a recent post by MunichMag, but I still suspect that it's (yet another) webpage error by Panasonic, this time .de. I bet the PV71 does not have it. Romero, it should be easy to tell: the PX70s, which don't have anti-glare, really can serve as spare mirrors if you light the room "properly" :rotfl:

CHFels

Well Brian, sorry to disappoint on this one buy my screen is like a mirror, I wanted to add some more pictures to my site, but will have to wait until tonite as the reflection is so bad during the day. Actually I might add a section with screen Reflection pictures to give people an idea of what to expect.

Romero ;)

Is it not possible to position your TV elsewhere in the room ?

A bit further away from the window :confused:

Is it not possible to position your TV elsewhere in the room ?

A bit further away from the window :confused:

No M8, thats where I have all my TV connections etc, I'll live with it as I watch most TV at night, anyway its not always so sunny here in Dublin:cool:

Just wanted to give folks an idea of what the reflection looks like.

Romero ;)

No M8, thats where I have all my TV connections etc, I'll live with it as I watch most TV at night, anyway its not always so sunny here in Dublin:cool:

Just wanted to give folks an idea of what the reflection looks like.

Romero ;)

thanks Romero - indeed very usefull pics. my tv will be about 5 meters away from the BIG window, but I still hope it will be ok.

geez - that reflection is bad - but you look a dead ringer for Mark Lawrenson :rotfl:

Only position I can put it is in corner beside a full wall to wall, floor to ceiling window - no windows behind.

looks like you have window on LHS, so looks like I might have similar reflection problems that you are showing.

anybody know if the anti-reflect coating actually makes any noticeable difference?

wish I lived in Switzerland, advertising the 42" PX730 for only €1250 on the net, however they are outside EU...:suicide:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom