1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Viera 42" or Pioneer PDP-434?

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by fraser e, Aug 31, 2004.

1. fraser e

fraser e

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi People,

New to the forum, so forgive me for any dumb questions!

I've got funds in place to take the plunge with my first plasma. Narrowed the choice down to the Panny and Pioneer.

I've demod both these in shops. Currys and the like for the Panny. Hi-Fi shops for the Pioneer. Very impressed with both.

At the moment I have a 12 year old Sony 28" CRT TV.

My Big Problem - I appreciate that DVD images on both are fantastic. No issue there. I do watch a load of normal TV via Sky+. I have not successfuly had this demo'd as of yet. I am deeply concerned with some of the other threads. Can anyone give definitive advice on what to expect. Will I be disapointed (get used to the picture) or very dissapointed (want my money back) with the image.

The wife will also not tolerate the plasma if Casualty and Corrie, don't look good!!!

Cheers,

Fraser.

2. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease: I'm looking at exactly the same thing and have the same two choices. If you're using Sky then you won't be too bothered about the lack of iDTV on the Pioneer. It is about to be replaced by a new model though next month and that is why the price has come off so much in the last few weeks. A guy at one of the hi-fi shops I was in said the new model is better than the old one from a picture quality point. It is also slightly lighter and narrower. Thats a point to consider for the Panny too as it's a good bit heavier and fatter than the Pioneer. I guess only a consideration is it's going on the wall.

3. fraser e

fraser e

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi braehead,

There is a very brief review in What Hi-Fi on the new Pioneer. They have the price considerably cheaper than the PDP-434 and also rate it with 3 stars saying that the PQ is not very good.

This is where my dilemma kicked in. Wait for the new one, demo and be disappointed or get the tried an tested PDP-434.

Again, SKY+ is the main worry!!

The lower resolution on the Panny is also bugging me. Will this be an issue when HDTV appears in 2-3 years?

4. jayzeer

jayzeer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a Pioneer 434 & am very happy with it. The picture is great but bear in mind this is a plasma - football watched up close to the screen looks a little computer-animated in that the pitch looks painted green - ok if you sit further away. Also, now & then I do notice some 'pixelisation' of images. DVD playback is spot on. I didnt go for the Panasonic PW6 because of its lack of tuner box - I could have bought a Quintro but I didnt want the hassle. The thing to look out for on new Pioneer is the digital tuner box, mine is analogue. I considered the Pe30 as a complete all-in-one package but went for the Pioneer as it hangs on the wall better - ie. it is slimmer.

If you can wait for the new Pioneer & the high price then go for it otherwise the 434 is great IMHO.

5. swartzy

swartzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +687
    Is the Viera High Definition compatable and what does this mean? :)

6. fraser e

fraser e

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jayzeer,

Do you watch Sky+ with the Plasma? If so, are you satisfied for day to day viewing?

I watch a lot of Sky 1 and Sci-Fi channel. Also watch a lot of footy, but am aware of the problems here.

Are you getting used to the various artefacts with plasma viewing?

Cheers,

Fraser.