1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Viera 37" - Some Basic Advice 'Please!'

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by nic@highgroundd, Jan 10, 2005.

1. nic@highgroundd

nic@highgroundd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Good day to one and all,
    we recently received a Panasonic Viera 37" plasma screen and wondered if anyone could share some kindly advice over a couple of questions we could not locate the answers to in the manual?

Okay here goes ...

Simple question first, in hopefully simple terms:

Movie goes into DVD player, black bars appear top and bottom.

• Is it 'safe', in relation to 'screen burn', to watch the movie with no image broadcast in these areas?

• The 'Panasonic Auto' Aspect Ratio feature will not 'jump' the signal to fit the screen, however, 'Zoom' will (but broadcast image is then slightly larger and thus is lost).

Second question, slightly trickier:

PS2 wired up via Scart, game goes in, 'Auto' Aspect Ratio feature does not 'jump or force' the signal to fit the screen. The best ratio has approx. 2cm black border around the signal.

Similar to above; is this safe? - can it be remedied?

Final question:
    Philips DVD 610 (this should probably appear in a different forum) - wired again through Scart, is it just our DVD Recorder, or does the sound fall out of sync throughout the playing of a film (quite radically)?

Regarding the quality of the screen and picture - it is quite superb. We did extensive research when choosing and are very happy.

If anyone could offer advice? - it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

2. fitguy

fitguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've also bought one of these screens lately and have been mightily impressed.

Re the black bands this is all to do with aspect ratio of the DVD some fit, some don't.

For the first 100 hours I kept it in cinema mode - yeah it's darker, but just for a few hours its better be safe than sorry.

Saying that on christmas day (3 days after receiving it) I did watch black hawk down, star wars iv, the italian job and most of series 3 of the x files in dynamic mode (even falling asleep with a static menu on screen :eek: ) but happy to say there were no long lasting effects, but I def wouldn't recommend it :nono: .

I did read a panasonic press release on this matter and apparently the viera range has been designed using technology which is more resistant to screen burn than before, if you do a search on this site you may find it (im sure someone bought it up in the last 14 days).

Re the playstation I've connected an xbox to AV1 and the screen alters to fit as it should do. Dont forget its the signal coming from the source that decides the picture size so it may be worth finding out if theres a set up menu lon the playstation.

Just on a side note a few people told me that after a couple of weeks the picture quality improves, and I have to say they're right it just seems to get better all the time.

hope any of the above helps.

3. nic@highgroundd

nic@highgroundd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks, most helpful, and encouraging to learn that the picture improves!?

Just going back to that screen burn issue, did you say it was okay to watch a movie with the black bands in evidence? - surely it must be as you can't force the Viera to fit a letterbox movie to the maximum?

The PS2 has its own setting for '16:9' as opposed to '4:3' or 'Full Screen'. At '16:9' and 'Panasonic Auto' there is still a 2cm black border ... even on '16:9'. Any ideas? (kind of the same question as above really).

One extra question, and I may be going mad - does your Viera have a very feint white vertical line at the far left and far right of the screen? (from top to bottom). It may be a reflection from the speaker panels (there is a slight highlight off these when lights are on in the room). Could just be me?

Cheers!

4. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Theres nothing you can do about the black bands on widescreen. The films were made to fit a cinema screen which is not 16:9.
    Either get used to it or zoom in and crop the edges.
    I feel there is much hype talked aabout screen burn.
    If you are watching a variety of different shows you will have no problems, including with the black bands. (which you can lower to grey if you want anyway)
    If you put the set in your shop window , on dynamic, with the same advert constantly runnning then you might burn it in.
    Enjoy your viewing :)

5. hullupelle

hullupelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regarding the black bands to the viera, I have found that whilst watching Shrek 2, I had the setting on my DVD on progressive scan and it forced the picture with black bands at the top and bottom. However, when I turn progressive scan off, the black bands disappear and displays the film the whole screen! I find this rather strange, has anybody had this?

steve

6. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes, with prog scan the aspect ratio is fixed. When you revert to rgb etc the aspect is user defineable.

7. hullupelle

hullupelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that happyh.

Sorry I have another question regarding the TV and progressive scan.
    I understand that progressive scan gives better images, but I am not sure why my Viera gives very faint white lines when there is a lot of movement ie action films or quick change in scenery. Does anyone know why? I have only used the TV for about 3 hours at the moment and hope thats the screen needs to settle down before I get to see better images.

8. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Prog scan does give a good PQ. I have a new PanE55 dvd which came with the viera. But the PQ is better with Prog Scan off. Experts tell me that the deinterlacer in the viera is far superior to the one in the E55 and will work when the E55 is non Prog Scan but will be overidden by the E55 in Prog Scan.
    It seems you need a very expensive dvd player for it to be better.
    Watch dvd via component but no prog scan. The PQ is :smashin:

9. fitguy

fitguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    nic,

yes I too spent two days before christmas tring to get rid of the two feint lines up both sides of the screen, until I realised it was shadow from the glass panels :suicide:

as the others say theres nothing you can do with regards to the black bands (top & bottom) unless you watch it in full magnification which is a bit pointless.

Re screen burn it usually occurs if a fixed image is displayed for hours on end with high contrast. My experience to date (albeit brief) is that it doesn't affect the screen.

I have read threads where people have left screens on for a few hours, with DVDs or sky on pause and come back to a residual image when they've pressed play again, but it disappears after about 1/2 hour of watching 'normal' pictures.

I truly dont think we have too much to worry about unless we're being silly as the technology has advanced enough.

10. nic@highgroundd

nic@highgroundd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ... someone else with the vertical highlight Christmas check-through! ... ;)

I did suspect that the 'screen burn' issues were a little over-exaggerated as laws of averages dictate that 9/10 cats would probably by accident leave their screens on Sky Sports 1 for 5 hours whilst they had a kip and thus I figured most if not all manufacturers made allowances for this. I was speaking to a friend of mine who has a Sony rear-projector screen (now about four years old) - what he's put through that no man should have to suffer, and still no screen burn, even though, as my pal says, projector screens are meant to be the most 'screen burn prone'. X-Box, PS2, DVD, digital TV - anything and everything has been ran on the Sony and no visible burn over four or so years.

Just going back to that DVD audio sync thing, has anybody else any knowledge on why Philips DVD 610/05 should wack out of sync so much? ... if its something I've done I don't know how I did it!?

11. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Whilst I am 'running my Viera in', I have used Zoom 1 just to be on the safe side with dvds, and am watching in normal mode with everything at about the half way point. My 'auto' mode just keeps it in the same aspect which is how it is meant to be viewed. 'Auto' does work whilst using Sky+.

With the PS2 I just changed the aspect to move the static images round after a while, there were no black bars. The XBox had a game that had a black bar down one side, I just changed the aspect again whilst I am 'running it in'.

I have not experienced any lip sync problems, I have a Denon 500 all in one system.

I have noticed any white lines. I hope I don't go and see any now you have mentioned them.

I use the prog scan on the dvd player only when the dvd displays in 1:85 ratio, with other pictures I use zoom 1 and let the Viera sort the picture out. I am well chuffed with it.

12. nic@highgroundd

nic@highgroundd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Wicket,
    no black bars on the PS2? - how did you couple that up?

Regarding the white lines - you will probably now notice them, but as Fitguy mentioned, they are reflections. To be more specific, the speaker columns left and right shine a little when the room is dark and lights are on (i.e. lights from interior lighting bounces onto the speaker columns and thus bounces back off or shines the columns) ... as a result, a slight reflection appears left and right of the screen. At first, its a concern, but when you move your eyes, cock your head etc. the reflection alters. A natural occurence.

13. mooncat

mooncat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i left sky+ in pause mode and left the plasma viere on for 9 hours last night.

no screen burn or anything

14. hullupelle

hullupelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have the denon 500 but when using progressive scan, the picture is not as good as when it is turned off. I can see very faint white lines when the picture changes. This can't be right? As I said before, the TV has not been run in yet so hoping this disappears.