1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic VCR recommendations

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by overkill, Oct 4, 2004.

Tags:
  1. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Hi all. Just as I begin the process of backing up all my VHS tapes to DVD-R, what happens? You guessed it, the bloody VCR head goes!! I only use Panny VCR's (too long winded to go into why) so can anybody recommend which of these they have any strong thoughts about, picture quality, sound quality wise?:-

NV-HV61EBS or the NV-SV121EBS.

Bearing in mind this will be our last VCR, and it will be sold as soon as the transfers are complete. So, potential re-sell value is a factor.

Thanks

2. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Sod's law mate! :mad:

Are you sure the heads are knackered on your current VCR? Which model is it?

As for the two machines you mention, they're both cr*p! Compared with Panny VCR's of a few years ago, that is. :)

If your recordings are not SVHS, go for the HV61. You should be able to pick one up for £80 or so. Why not get it from Arg*s, do your transfers and take it back for a refund? :devil: Who said that? :devil:

A. Dork

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    or get a DMR -E75 and then move to another room dead easy stuff and great when someone wants a copy on VHS......

4. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Bit too hot for my wallet, HornyD! The HS-2 is fine for DVD recording plus we have good PC's dotted around the place for playback away from the front room!

If the Pannys are crap, what would you recommend? No Philips or JVC please, I used to sell them, and reliable they werent'! Looking at some of the forums they haven't improved much either!

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  6. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Ok HornyD which JVC? This one:- JVC ?

7. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    imho stay well clear of the jvc svhs recorders.both me an my dad had jvc vcr`s,i bought a new one and shortly after his went belly up so he got a £90 pana from comet in bromborough i hooked it up for him and was blown away by this difference in pic quality between my 170 quid recorder using sky digi and svhs tapes to record on and my dads standard tapes and sky.the difference was night and day shortly after i gave my svhs to mum and bought a pana e55.id say get yourself upto bromborough and get a pana mate if i was you.

resale value im not sure you will get much for a expensive one even if its only been used for a few hours as the price of dvd recorders is so low most people will dump an run from vhs.£90 aint gonna be much to lose even if you cant sell it lol maybe you could use it in another room? your not backing up your arsenal videos are yeah :boring: :laugh: :laugh:

8. rockyglw

rockyglw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have the opposite experience. I changed a Panasonic NV-SV120E with grainy pictures at all speeds and noisy mechanics to a JVC 5965 which has given me excellent service for the past 9 months. I aslo have a Panasonic DVD recorder, which although gives better PQ than the JVC, the difference when using standard play and S-VHS tapes is not huge. The JVC also produces far superior standard VHS pictures than the Panasonic, in my opinion.In the past I have always bought Panasonic vcr's but the current crop seem to represent Panasonics desire to wean people away from the video tapes. At £75 the JVC is a steal!

9. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Cheers Rocky! The only thing that puts me off, is, as Silver says, the reliabilty of the JVC's. I think the Pannys are a no-go now, as quite a lot of people have made similiar comments re picture quality, and Panasonics desire to wean people off the medium.

Nope Silver. All my Arsenal vids were on Beta!! I rooted them all out to transfer them to DVD and found the cat (obviously a spurs fan!) had sprayed all over them and knackered the lot!! Mind you, he hit films, documentaries, the lot, so maybe he's just not a Beta fan!! :D He can run pretty quick though................

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Yeah mate they are great.... Older JVC decks were incredible but as with all things they have gotten cheap.... (PAnny and JVC are owned by same company so i would guess they probably all come out of same plant these days....
    http://www.digitaldirectuk.com/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=1837 might be worth the extra £20....

11. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    :laugh: dont know why im laughing all are footage is on cine 8 projector reels :laugh: overkill why not buy one of the net back up your films and send it back under the 7 day sales rule ? its a bit of a :nono: but if you can take advantage of the rule why not :thumbsup:

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    better off using Dixons 14 day for that.... or argos 28.......

13. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Got the 5965 today. NOT happy! :mad: Poor TV reception (bad colour bleed) & rank VHS playback! (V) Noisy picture and colour bleed, regardless of the age and useage of the test videos. Hope its faulty, the missus will kill me if thats the norm................ :rolleyes:

Go on Silver, tell me You told me so! :blush:

14. rockyglw

rockyglw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Its faulty!!!
    Mine does not display any of those symptoms. I am using high quality scart lead with S-VHS output.
    Self recorded tapes on S-VHS at SP are very near broadcast quality on my set up.
    Hope you get it sorted

15. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    well as much as i would like to say it :laugh: I TOLD YOU SAY :thumbsup: sorry to hear that mate about the new jvc vcr but hand on heart i can say i would never buy one of there svhs reorders never mind vhs.i dont know anyone who has one (and i know 5 people all bought at different times and for different prices and models) that when compared to my dads crappy 90 quid pana can say there pic quality using svhs tapes and recording off sky digital is any where near as good mate.

16. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Silver, you were right. Got the replacement, pictures better, but still naff. Did a DVD-R copy to check if it was the telly, picture still dire on the PC!! Tried all the cable combis, no joy! Should have stuck with the pannys! :(

17. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    sorry to hear that mate,i know how much hassle it is taking and returning stuff back.whats your next move?