1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic VCR problems

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by roadtorode, Dec 11, 2002.

Tags:
  1. roadtorode

roadtorode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Panasonic HD680 (I think!) that has an absolute cracker of a picture (for VHS anyway) but has an annoying problem thatI would love to fix...
    When using RF to view and record, the picture is polluted with a moving herringbone pattern across it....at least it did until my friendly local dealer retuned (?) the output channel (HOW DID HE DO THIS - ITS NOT ON THE MENUS ??) to another, and replaced the herringbone effect with a horizontal flickering!

SCART in and out recording and playback is fine.

2. phil r brown

phil r brown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok the problem you have is that the VCR rf output is too close to normal terestial channels ( this happened a lot when channel 5 was introduced some years ago )... what you need to do is change the frequency output from the VCR.... to do this go round the back of the vcr and find where the 2 aerial sockets are ( in and out ) look very closely between them and you will see a very small hole in the casing... thru this there is a screw pot that can be turned to change the vcr output frequency ( very fine flat end screwdriver needed ).... from here on in its a bit hit an miss, turn it a fraction one way, re-tune your TV to this new vcr channel and see how it looks.... if patterns still there, turn the pot a bit more and try again... you will find the right position to get rid of the patterns ultimately. ( this is not changeable via menu options, it is a manual adjust of the pot... but remember each time to re tune your tv chanel for the vcr output ).

good luck phil

3. roadtorode

roadtorode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this, but I have examined the player closely, and I have no obvious hole to make such an adjustment. Any other ideas of where it may be ?

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,762
    I'm sure this is done on screen. I can't find my manual at the moment but will keep looking.
    I have an idea that if you hold down the remote control menu button (maybe) for a few seconds without releasing it then it will bring up a display on screen prompting for the RF channel no.
    Try that 1st - let me know if it doesn't work and I'll look for the manual again

5. roadtorode

roadtorode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Found an 685 manual online (but not a 680 !?) at the Panasonic site, and it sounds like a long press of the menu key, so I'll give that a go tonight...