Panasonic V750 and V700 a comparison

Formatting to FAT32 limits the file size. This has caused problems with recording concerts or plays as the change to a new file causes a break in the audio.

We normally suggest that the audio is recorded on a recorder such as a Zoom or Tascam or Fostex and then sync'd to the video in a video editor to overcome this problem. This gives a continuous audio track.
BUT it has a more important advantage. Video is normally recorded from a distance, back of hall etc., but the audio is best recorded near the artists to reduce audience noise and hall echo.
The fact is that video camera microphones can only be a compromise. They work OK if recording family or a noisy bit of machinery as the local sound is captured without other interference. Recording using the camera mics in a hall or church means that all the noise is picked up.
One advantage of the 750 is the Mic In socket and the Headphones Out so not only can you connect an external mic but you can listen to the sound being recorded.

Based on Sony camcorders importing long takes where the camcorder produces multiple files require the use of the manufacturers supplied software. The missing audio is contained in small separate files. Importing to a ntfs drive seamlessly combines the sub 4GB sections and fills in the missing audio into a single clip.

Can I just jump in here and ask if a V700 would make a decent 2nd hand buy?

V750 seems to be around £500, V700 2nd hand prices are as low as £200 ish.

If you can get it at that price, I would say go for it! I still use my 700 as a second camera and to teach my grandchildren to make good videos.
You can get batteries from third party suppliers, my 360 cost £25.
If you want the full spec, download the User Manual .pdf file from Panasonic UK Support.

Beware that it's working correctly before you part with money. . . . if you visit the Seller in person then at very least check the recording to your blank SDHC card. Check playback and watch the image carefully during zoom and autofocus between near and far. Also I'd suggest you inspect the filter thread and tripod-bush.

Any other quick-checks Terfyn?

Everything you have suggested Harry.
I might only add any obvious rattling or noise from the camera body plus I would look through the "Troubleshooting" section of the Manual and check for the possible faults suggested there. (.pdf file available from Panasonic Support)

I have "lent" my V700 to my six year old Grandson (under strict supervision :nono::nono:) but let him have artistic freedom to film what interests him. Every night we plug the camera into the TV via the HDMI so we watch the raw video (warts and all) and have a critique session. David Bailey he ain't :thumbsdow but hope springs eternal:rolleyes:. The great thing about modern video is its transitory nature - I can scrap the rubbish and keep the good stuff, so it is an ideal medium to learn on.
As virtually everything these days is fitted with a camera of some sorts, at least he will learn what is good and what is not when filming. So we will not have to suffer the dreadful attempts as seen on YT. My hope is that both my Grandchildren will see video as the logical step to good story making.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom