1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic V7 "glowing" problems

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by charker, Nov 5, 2004.

1. charker

charker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Anybody got any thoughts on this thread which talks about picture problems with HD V7 Panasonic panels...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=4608540

The guys in the states are getting into a lather about the letterbox black panels changing shades of black as the picture content changes and bright objects glowing against dark backgrounds. Part way down the thread there is some explanation about IRE levels (7.5 or 0) and a link to some explanation of what it all means (see below), something about black levels and NTSC compression!

It seems Panasonic may have removed support for IRE 7.5 and most USA DVD players kick out IRE 7.5 because that is what NTSC CRT devices like.

Am I right in thinking this is an NTSC problem and we won't have such problems with the HD panels coming from Panasonic? What happens when a UK DVD player plays NTSC disks, does it put out 7.5 or 0.

A confused (and concerned) HD V7 potential customer

charker

This is the quote in question...

I ran a test with a 2:3.5 DVD into a 7UY plasma and was able to duplicate the glow effect.

The glow problem is related to the black level of the source devices. The plasma is designed for a 0 IRE black level while many sources are designed to output 7.5 IRE (which is for a typical NTSC CRT). On our Panasonic DVD player there is a "Black Level" adjustment with the options "Lighter" and "Darker" which just so happen to be 7.5 IRE and 0 IRE.

When the black level is set to Lighter (7.5 IRE), I get the glow problem. When the black level is set to Darker (0 IRE) the problem goes away and the blacks look great.

The plasmas themselves are working normally in these cases.

Here's some further explanation of black levels.

http://www.videoessentials.com/ve_d_faqplayer.php

2. charker

charker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Has nobody got any thoughts on this?

These guys are beating a path to Panasonic and on the verge of demanding refunds because there V7 screens can't display black properly and bright objects on dark backgrounds are too bright and they can do nothing about it.

Is everyone who has a V7 screen happy with the black levels when playing NTSC disks?

charker

3. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    charker, thanks for the heads-up. Am considering buying a Pana display myself, right now an SD panel but also eying the PHW7 as well...
    This looks like a pretty bad issue, not sure what can be done on this side of the Atlantic though (beside monitoring the US forum thread) since retailers aren't getting these screens yet here...
    Maybe retailers here could ask Panasonic mgt in the U.K. what they think/know about this?

4. charker

charker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    peezee

I will be monitoring this other forum thread, the lastest postings suggest it is only the s-video "blade" and everything else is OK. They say the IRE excuse is rubbish and it's been like this since V5 panels and Panasonic just ignorethe problem.

They also seem to only have experience of "commercial" panels and wonder whether "domestic" panels suffer the same problem. Of course this doesn't help here because we only have delivery dates for Black commercial HD panels, the consumer one could be months away.

Guys using DVI and component seem happy enough, so far...

Cliff

5. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well that's a pretty key info for me though, since I do not intend to use S-Video or Composite inputs on my plasma panel (more like DVI or VGA, maybe Component).

Thanks a lot then, guess I need not worry from now on, good! :)