Panasonic V500M transfer files

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Blue.Rocket, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Blue.Rocket

Blue.Rocket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    When on holiday i used my video camera quite a bit so transfered the days events / files to my sons laptop then to his external hard drive, the files did play back on his laptop., returning home i placed the video files onto my PC, But i don't seem to be able to view the files to play back.such as windows media player.
    I have loaded the HD writer software hoping to record the files onto DVD, but again i cannot get that to open the files, i think i am using the process correctly.
    I was also wondering if there is a way of moving the files off the PC back onto the video camera.
    Can anyone offer some advise please.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  2. Terfyn

Terfyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Did you transfer from the memory or the SD card?
    If the recordings are still in memory, then transfer to SD card and download normally.
    The files should be .mts and should be under AVCHD - BDMV.

As far as I know you cannot return the files to the camera memory.

I suggest in future you record on to the SD card and retain until you have successfully transferred into your PC. (using HDWriter if required.) Further I suggest you obtain a decent video editor to create your DVDs. (I only use HDW to download the required files from the SD card to my PC.) HDWriter is only of use IMO to download the video and stills files to the appropriate folders in your PC. This is does quite well although you can copy the appropriate files using the normal PC software.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  3. Blue.Rocket

Blue.Rocket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Thanks Terfyn.:thumbsup:
    I transfered from the memory not the SD card. If the recordings are placed onto the SD card, will it still have the high quality as the memory ?
    But not knowing the problem it would cause me when returning home, lesson learn't. :lesson:
    I still have all the original MTS files on the PC for future use..

My son was able to use his Movie Maker to get clips onto DVD in a decent HD quality, however as he has not purchased the full product, each clip is interupted by a link to purchase link to full version.

Yes, I think its about time i purchased a decent movie creator myself, so any recomendations would be gratefull. One able to handle MTS format.

Regards.

4. Terfyn

Terfyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    As far as I know there is no difference between the files in memory and the SD card. My camera, the HC-V700 without the M, downloads via the USB or the SD card. I load the SD card into the card reader on my PC and use HDWriter to lift the files and transfer them to a folder on my HD. IMO the better method is to record on to SD card as this will give you a long term recoverable record of all you filming. When you are satisfied that you have a final copy on DVD for example, you can re-format the card in the camera. (very important)

I use Corel VideoStudio Pro X6 for editing and DVD burning (plus transfer to YouTube) There are a number of good editors around and many have a free download provision for you to try over a 30 day period. Sony is a popular one.
    When you decide on an editor, do go for the disk rather than the download. It is so much easier to recover a damaged program that way.

5. Blue.Rocket

Blue.Rocket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Thanks Terfyn.

Usally i use the AV cables supplied with the camera, recording straight onto a DVD recorder. But this time because i had a lot of videoing, i thought it would be easy to save the files and play with them at a later date, not so..

Good advise on recording onto card, will be doing that next time. Will make a search for a decent editing software, and yes i agree getting it on a disc is always best.
    I am concidering getting an external Bluray burner for the PC, maybe that will help with finished quality as well.

Thanks again for your help.
    regards..

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,515