Panasonic V20 - its got its problems, so....

AbzH

Standard Member
Reaction score
whats the next best thing?
I have decided not to buy the V20 with all its issues so im after suggestions for alternatives, be it plasma or LED. Dont really want to go with panasonic too as it seems their customer services are not up to scratch.

I want a 2D HDTV, for watching Sky HD and normal SD broadcast and some gaming on a PS3. It must be DNLA, if possible have wireless or be wifi ready. It will connect to a jailbroken ATV which will in turn stream content from a NAS.
Obviously it must have a pretty good pic quality too. max budget £800

so any suggestion will be welcome. have seen some great deals on 2010 Sony models but have read about a 'clouding issue' with them - im not an enthusiast like some on here, will i notice this clouding?

What about Samsung or LG plasmas? or even better, if your a V20 owner and could replace your set - what would you replace it with?
Thanks.

A VT30. Have you properly demoed a V20?

Im not sure i can get a VT30 for £800.
I had a look at a V20 at a store here and TBH there was nothing wrong with it at all. However my concern, be it right or wrong, is that that it will probably only be a matter of time before the various issues that have crop up on some owners sets crop up on mine..and i just dont want that. I can get this V20 for £600 but im just not 100% sure about it.

whats the next best thing?
I have decided not to buy the V20 with all its issues so im after suggestions for alternatives, be it plasma or LED. Dont really want to go with panasonic too as it seems their customer services are not up to scratch.

I want a 2D HDTV, for watching Sky HD and normal SD broadcast and some gaming on a PS3. It must be DNLA, if possible have wireless or be wifi ready. It will connect to a jailbroken ATV which will in turn stream content from a NAS.
Obviously it must have a pretty good pic quality too. max budget £800

so any suggestion will be welcome. have seen some great deals on 2010 Sony models but have read about a 'clouding issue' with them - im not an enthusiast like some on here, will i notice this clouding?

What about Samsung or LG plasmas? or even better, if your a V20 owner and could replace your set - what would you replace it with?
Thanks.
Right mate let me try and help
Clouding issues you want to know if you will notice it. Well its bad and yes you will see it.

For £800 what size tv you after? Each company now has issues. I hear that Samsungs are not as reliable and LG plasmas some times have some form of dirty screen effect (think of a blue sky but some parts arent as blue as they should be).
Now for LED. Personally the motion is on par with LCD but the lighting can give haloing effects.
So where does that leave us?
Well it means ever tv company has tvs from all there ranges that have some form of issue.
Do read reviews and use the info in them as a base for what you are looking for. Dont just read the pros of a set but also the cons.
Get your list of tvs go out demo demo demo. Then finally buy. Personally I would see with the retailer about there returns policy first incase you dont like the image or you get an issue.

Or if you dont want to read my wall of text. :laugh:

Read reviews, demo, like, buy, never come back here as were so picky you would never ever buy a tv again :D:smashin:

Go with the V20.

I paid £600 and you wont get a better set for that money.

Chose where you buy carefully, so if you do get any issues, then a refund or replacement. (Not currys etc)

My set has no buzzing. 50hz is not an issue to me.
HD, SD, freesat and freeview are perfect. Watching sport and Gaming is a delight. No rising blacks that i've seen. (even on Batman)
The wirless works well, but better wired.

The sound is poor, but no worse than most panels.
The EPG is very slow.

This TV would have set you back ~ 2K + for a similar spec a few years ago. Infact it was i think £1400 on release just a year ago.

No brainer imo.

Thanks for the advice. I have been reading reviews and been out to demo as well.
The screen size I'm after is 37 - 42.
I appreciate your comment that there is no perfect tv out there. I do like the V20 but as said before the few issues bother me.
I will act on your advice though and keep reading and demo'ing.
I may still take a chance on the v20, especially at the price I can get one for.

bodcat62 said:
Go with the V20.

I paid £600 and you wont get a better set for that money.

Chose where you buy carefully, so if you do get any issues, then a refund or replacement. (Not currys etc)

My set has no buzzing. 50hz is not an issue to me.
HD, SD, freesat and freeview are perfect. Watching sport and Gaming is a delight. No rising blacks that i've seen. (even on Batman)
The wirless works well, but better wired.

The sound is poor, but no worse than most panels.
The EPG is very slow.

This TV would have set you back ~ 2K + for a similar spec a few years ago. Infact it was i think £1400 on release just a year ago.

No brainer imo.

Thanks for the input bodcut. Seems you got yourself a goodun. Can I ask how long you have had your v20 now?

The V20 is an absolute steal at £600, it'll be this time next year until you'll get a similar bargain.

All TVs have issues but don't forget a TV priced over £1000, as the 42V initially was, will come under the microscope more than others.

I see some banding on SD content and have noticed brightness fluctuation three or four times in six months. What I notice constantly is superb picture quality, great black levels and beautifully silky high definition. The filter is very effective meaning good bright room performance allied with classic high end plasma low-light performance.

LED sets will almost inevitably have some degree of clouding and display far more in the way of fluctuating brightness; they have to dim the backlights right down to hit decent MLL during lower-lit scenes.

Panasonic aftercare is no worse than many others really, and better than some.

I can get this V20 for £600 but im just not 100% sure about it.

What's the warranty period on the set? five years from Panasonic?

.........and, since I'm in the market for a new TV myself, who's selling a V20 for £600.00? ....I'll understand if you don't want to tell;)

F.

Freepost said:

.........and, since I'm in the market for a new TV myself, who's selling a V20 for £600.00? ....I'll understand if you don't want to tell;)

F.

I paid £780 delivered for my 42" V20 on Friday so am also wondering how I missed someone else selling it at £600? It's certainly not a high street or online retailer

gebbel said:
I paid £780 delivered for my 42" V20 on Friday so am also wondering how I missed someone else selling it at £600? It's certainly not a high street or online retailer

This is a local retailer here in East London It's with a 12 month warranty. I don't think you can get a free 5 year warranty on the v20 now.

Thanks for the input bodcut. Seems you got yourself a goodun. Can I ask how long you have had your v20 now?

Nearly three months. No problems at all. Have even tried to force a buzz. :laugh:

F.

I got mine 3 months ago from JL (for the service) with partner discount, then put an undersale in with RGB direct. Refunded £200. result.

I would think the V20s must be coming up soon to be scarce.

bodcat62 said:
I would think the V20s must be coming up soon to be scarce.

Yes I got the last one in my local store. Best bit of luck I've had in a while.

I managed to get a 50V20 for £815 - I know, an absolute bargain - I would highly recommend the TV.

But as everyone else is saying you need to see it for yourself. If you can get one, get it home and watch it and see what your eyes think. No matter who you buy from you have the right to return it within 7 days no questions asked. Most retailers have a good returns policy, so find out what it is.

Every TV has some issues, it is down to each individual what they mind or do not mind.

Good Luck! :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom