• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

panasonic v10 v's z1?

enthusiast01

Standard Member
just wanted to get some peoples opinions as to why the 46 inch z is way more expensive than the 50inch v? Is there much picture quality difference or is the price difference purely put down to the cosmetic sides of things and the external wireless box? and also just to add to things how do you compare the lg 60ps8000 to these sets when you can now pick it up for £1450, is the picture quality you would get on a panny neo pdp that much better once calibrated?

thechippy

If you are considering the very over priced Pana then please consider the last few Pioneer TVs available..... Well worth every penny :thumbsup:

Monarch

Distinguished Member
There isn't much difference in actual picture quality between the Z1 and V10. The Z1 has user accessible greyscale (and gamma?) controls, which is nice, but in the end can be achieved on the V10 if you're willing to go into the service menu. The reason the Z1 is so much more is simply that it's Panasonic's super high end model. Basically it's shiny :D I think it's slimmer, and it only uses one sheet of glass so you don't get the double image at extreme angles associated with the tradition double layer used on the V10. The Z1, most importantly, though also has wireless HD technology, although I think that you can buy it without that as well.

The V10 is better than the PS8000 though, black levels are really what takes it above, but it's also more resistant to image retention and doesn't have the slight innaccuracies in colour on the G10 (which is on the same level as the PS8000), so basically the downsides of the G10 are removed, apart from the slightly dodgy processing, so unless 60" is the size you need there's no real need for the LG.

enthusiast01

Standard Member
ah right that shed some light on the z1's, (not that i would ever steep that high on price) just wanted to know the real quality differences at the price differences. got to admit i prefer the one sheet of glass idea, think thats what my old pio used? so would i be able to really clearly see the difference in black levels between the lg and panny v10? i heard that the colour reproduction on the ps8000's were better than on the v10 though and due to not having the settings to fix this would i notice these colour inaccuracies as much as the black level difference? and also i seen a pio 580xd for £1000 clearance at my local store! would the old 8g pio still out do these new panny and lg's or has it fell behind by now? cheers for the input.

Monarch

Distinguished Member
You would be able to see the difference in black level between the V10 and PS8000, it's not huge though, you do need to be watching a dark scene in a movie really, it depends how critical you are aswell of course.

The G10 has worse colour accuracy than the PS8000, but the V10 has the THX preset which has very good colour points, maybe not quite as good as a calibrated PS8000, but close enough, the difference in black level would probably be easier to see for most. The LG has better processing than the V10, that's all it really has.

The 8G Pioneers are still very good, and better than the Panasonics in some ways and the Panasonics aren't really better in any ways, but there's quite varying opinions on the topic, I think most people think that the 8G Pioneers are better on SD, but the Panasonics are the ones to go for with HD.

enthusiast01

Standard Member
yeah i guess if you can see the clear difference between the sets then i would probably be fairly critical about it so panasonic v10 it is on that subject(just liked the idea of a 60inch for that price albeit probably too big for my room!lol) just need to get my thinkin cap on regarding the 8g pio considerin it is £300 cheaper than the v10 and £450 cheaper than the ps8000, hmmmm? cheers for the help.

Monarch

Distinguished Member
I think there's been a few threads on it in the past (between the same two sets) and there have been people who have owned both replying so a search might bring up a few results and some helpful tips. I just haven't seen the 8G Kuro because they're so hard to come by these days so I can't really comment.

emrysdavies

The V10 has the THX preset which has very good colour points are the ones to go for with HD.

For someone who is not going to watch films, whatsoever, and who confine themselves to Sky SD, do you think that the THX Video Certification in the V10 would benefit them in any way? In short, is the G10 as good as the V10 if you are not going to use the add-ons in the latter?

Last edited:

Monarch

Distinguished Member
Well TV broadcasts follow the same standards as film, so you would technically get the same benefit, but I wouldn't say that the THX preset was as important for general viewing, but that's based on what I watch.

Movies really are where I, and a lot of others, really appreciate what their TV can do, because you want the most cinematic experience, if you watch a lot of the big dramas or big series' which are on TV you want the same effect and the THX mode would be great, but if, like me, the general TV use is evening soaps, news and general evening viewing, basically nothing too 'cinematic' then it probably wouldn't give you as much benefit and so the G10 would do a perfectly decent job.

enthusiast01

Standard Member
yeah agreed with the fact of what is going to genneraly be watched and wether its worth the money for the v10 but to be honest i am upgrading my whole system at the moment and getting all high spec blu-ray player, av rec, and speakers so would seem stupid not to have a set that is set up correct and can get the most out of the other equipment. its annoying, if only panasonic just gave a set of seperate controls for colour none of this would be needed! just a bit worried that i will get the set thinking oh well i have thx which will be set up correctly anyway and get a set that is way out compared to others considering obviously all sets are slightly different hense everyones calibrations come out slightly different. i am assuming this could be the case? just one thing that makes me think about the ps8000? need to go check out the black levels and see how i will feel. well i will be comparing them to my old pio 427xd(not a kuro so may actually tide just as good if not better anyway by this much time to catch up?) and when you guys are saying the ps8000 are bad for image retention, how bad are we talking here as i do play couple of hour gaming sessions every now and again?

Monarch

Distinguished Member
There is some variation between sets, but you should get decent results from all of them, if you take a look at the reviews of the THX certified Panasonics on this site there's the P50V10, P65V10 and Z10 (46"?) and the THX mode had a decent reception on all of them, you would be able to get more accurate colour points on the PS8000, but I couldn't really say how visible this difference would be, I wouldn't imagine it would be huge considering the LGs don't have a 3D CMS (only 2D) so you can't control luminance and need to sacrifice some colour points slightly to get that right.

The V10s black levels are actually technically slightly worse than the G10, but it isn't really noticeable without them next to each other, anyway, the G10 reaches nearly the same black levels as the 8G Kuros, so I'm sure the V10 beats your Pioneer, but I don't know the numbers on that model because it's before my time (TV speaking).

Image retention builds up very easily on the LGs and Samsungs, you would get IR from gaming, that's certain, but it probably wouldn't become anything to worry about unless you spend over 4 hours in one session on the same game without breaks. Of course some people hate IR and can't live knowing that it's there, others aren't bothered at all. I use an LG PG6000 for gaming and get IR, but in my 2-3 hour gaming sessions I've had nothing near to burn in, everything has faded within 30 minutes (20 minutes is the norm for bad IR after a 2-3 hour session, but some games are worse than others). I still regard the V10 as the better set though, but of course you do pay for that.

enthusiast01

Standard Member
just wanted to add to this can anyone give me an opinion on the 508xd compared to these sets as in-store it didnt seem to stand up to these sets but i know this can be decieving as found out in the past? especially as i have always really liked pio in the past and it seems a great deal to pick it up for just over a grand considering my old 427xd cost me £1400 a while back and was well happy with it.(minus the very loud buzz which was bareable and dirty screen effect that was all to present in panning shots which was a bit irritating)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom