panasonic v10 v pioneer PDP-LX5090

sukhsc

Standard Member
Hi

I am looking to buy a 50" TV for my living room - I think it is time I upgrade from my tube TV - and I am totally stuck which to buy.

I have found no matter how much you read about a TV you can find reviews which love it and reviews which hate it :confused:

I think I have narrowed it down to a couple of TVs -

The panasonic v10 50" tv - about £1500
and
the pioneer PDP-LX5090 - about £2100

What you guys think...is the pioneer worth the extra? Is the pioneer soon to be replaced, I think it is a pretty old model?

Cheers guys for your help...I went to comet and I really question if the people who work there know what there talking about ;)
I need some expert advice :D

Badger0-0

They certainly won't be replacing the Pio, as they're ceasing production of plasmas in November, I think.

You can read all the reviews you want, but at the end of the day, both tellies are great but pretty much everyone says the Pio is better. I'd like to see where you read that someone hates the Pio, as there isn't a plasma to touch it for the money, imo. :confused:

Only you can justify if it's worth the extra and you need to go and see them for yourself.

Monarch

Novice Member
I agree with the above. Both are excellent sets, personally I would say that the price is justified when watching SD content but the V10 could well be better value for money when watching HD. I would say that the Pioneer is the better set though so if you think you can pay the extra then do, but if you're just going to be watching HD material then it would be reasonable to decide to get the V10 and possibly update the rest of your stuff, like a sound system!

As I said, the V10 is also excellent, the Pioneer just has that little bit more though, especially when watching SD

sukhsc

Standard Member
cheers ... to be honest I didnt see a bad review for the Pioneer - I have to say people love it!!! :smashin:
only thing I am really worried about is it is an old set, released about a year ago I think. I normally think that technology that old falls behind the rest (or at least gives others a chance to catch up)
unfortunately I cant go see them because the shops around me suck!!! - I went to Comet and Currys and they both were showing the Panasonic G series...not the V.

Monarch

Novice Member
Pretty sure it was Which who wrote the less than favourable review of the Pio, says it all really
That which? fail at TV reviews? :rotfl: I wouldn't trust them at all, they think the Panasonic LZD80 produced the best SD picture of all the 2008 TVs...even though it was relatively poor in that department compared to the HD ready Panasonics especially :rolleyes:

Monarch

Novice Member
cheers ... to be honest I didnt see a bad review for the Pioneer - I have to say people love it!!! :smashin:
only thing I am really worried about is it is an old set, released about a year ago I think. I normally think that technology that old falls behind the rest (or at least gives others a chance to catch up)
unfortunately I cant go see them because the shops around me suck!!! - I went to Comet and Currys and they both were showing the Panasonic G series...not the V.
It may be old but it's still widely regarded as the best, remember this is the undisputed champion TV of last year, it's being contested this year

Badger0-0

:)

But it was probably 2 years ahead of anything else ;)

I think Monarch has it right, it depends on your viewing.
But if money isn't a problem, just get the Pio. It really is as simple as that.

Suave

Distinguished Member
:)

But it was probably 2 years ahead of anything else ;)

I think Monarch has it right, it depends on your viewing.
But if money isn't a problem, just get the Pio. It really is as simple as that.
Hi,

Yes, the Pioneer was launched nearly two years ago now and despite the competition knowing this and having had time and opportunity to catch up - no one really has on an overall basis - nothing can match the black levels and it's SD performance and no other set delivers everything so well in the final outcome - there may be one or two sets that may offer a single facet on the same or better level but that's about it imo.

What you have to realise is that although it is nearly two years old - it was designed from day one to be a no performance compromise design - only the highest and very best was applied and it cost what it cost and because very few other brands operate that way, it still leads the pack by a very considerable margin in most cases even today.

The Panny V10 SD is pretty poor imo and it's blacks are nowhere near as good - flatpanelsHD tested them at 0.04cd/m2 whereas the Pioneer's is 0.0031cd/m2! I was too considering the V10 but went for the Pioneer instead.

Suave!

~dadam02~

And to think the current crop of consumer panels are only just approaching the standards of the 8G Pio,s , nevermind the 9G. Just goes to show how far Pio pushed the tech forward, big loss. If you can afford one then get one, i doubt next years range will beat the current Kuro's

psychopomp1

Out of curiosity, how close are the black levels of the V10 to Pio 8G's? What is the cd/m2 value of the Pio 8G? Just want reassurance that my Pio 428XD is still the best 42" TV out there! LOL:D

Cheers :)

Suave

Distinguished Member
Out of curiosity, how close are the black levels of the V10 to Pio 8G's? What is the cd/m2 value of the Pio 8G? Just want reassurance that my Pio 428XD is still the best 42" TV out there! LOL:D

Cheers :)
Hi,

About the same or slightly worse depending on which review you read! the G8 Kuro's had a calibrated BL of 0.03cd/m3 - one review so far has the new Panny's matching that and another has them at 0.04cd/m2!

Suave!

boxrick

I own one of the newer panasonics (g10 ) and have owned an 8G pioneer, and id still say the 8g pioneers are the best consumer panels available.

Id get a LX5090 over a v10 even for £600 more no questions asked they are quite alot better for Standard definition / motion / blacks.

My SD on my 5090 looks miles better than my g10, even though im sat much closer to my 5090 and its 8 inches bigger....

sukhsc

Standard Member
Everytime I have seen a Pioneer TV so far I have been blown away. The picture is just amazing.
I think I have made my mind up...it has to be the Pioneer. :thumbsup:
Now just have to find a great deal, seen some with 5 yr guarantees which aint bad

GaryMo

I opted for a 5090 over a V10, not just for performance but also for looks.
I really hate the Panasonic's cosmetically.

I'm glad I did as SD content through Sky is very good, HD and BD is exceptional :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom