1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic UK spec their TV's down...

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by thorx, Jan 21, 2002.

1. thorx

thorx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to buy a new TV. As I am from Norway, and might move back some day I'd like to get a multistandard TV. Minimum requirement is that it supports PAL B/G in addition to the normal PAL I, NTSC 60 and Modified NTSC.

I know from past experience that Panasonic's highest spec TVs support almost all different bands available (just for the record I am looking at TX-32PG30 and TX-32PL10). At least they do in Norway! I decided to be check this up front just to be on the safe side, and believe it or not, the same TV is differently spec'ed in the UK than the rest of Europe. It's actually been downgraded before being sold on the UK market.

Why would they do this? I don't have a clue, but Panasonic UK explained to me in an email that their TV's are NOT multistandard, but that I can have them modified to be so. They even sent me the address for two companies who would charge me to do this.

I can't believe this is actually true. What could they have to gain from downgrading their TVs in one market?

2. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It may be possible that the UK models have better off-air PAL performance than the multistandard equivalent. I.E. they are fitted with a dedicated PAL tuner.

I have a multistandard Sony and I've always felt that the PAL performance has never quit matched up to the PAL-only Sonys I've owned. Fortunately I only ever feed it with RGB from the digibox or DVD player.

Allan

3. pgnl

pgnl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    When you say 'despec' UK products, what you actually mean is remove features that are (in the most) of absolutely no use here.

Up until quite recently virtually all UK TV's only had UHF tuners and could only receive PAL-I. PAL B/G/D/K and Secam D/K/L with VHF/cable tuners are of absolutely no use in the UK apart from a few that live near the coast that want to pick up Irish, French, Belgian or Dutch transmissions or perhaps the odd satellite viewer wanting to receive French TV in SECAM via the Telecom sat.

Presumably because of the size of the UK market it was cheaper for manufacturers to build products specifically for the UK. Also there is the support issue, that a technophobic consumer could alter a setting and as a consequence lose sound (or in the case of SECAM L, the picture altogether). Why make something more complicated than it need be?

The market is changing here in the UK and many TV's are multistandard these days, presumably due to economies of scale. These are generally the more expensive products from Toshiba and Philips. Some cheaper brands like Thomson, Samsung, LG and Daewoo make many of their TV's multistandard. Sony and Panasonic in the main still sell UK specific TV's although I think the Sony sets can readily be changed via the service menu.

As for the models of TV sold, these are market driven. ie. Germany is virtually all 100Hz these days...Whereas the UK is becoming dominated by widescreen ...

Patrick
    Worcs.

4. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know the proper e-mail address for Panasonic technical support? I've tried support@panasonic.co.uk but it keeps bouncing.

Thanks in advance,

5. thorx

thorx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This address works: CustomerCare.Advisor@panasonic.co.uk

As for defining 'despec' as removing unuseful features, I think that is utter cr*p. Don't mean to be rude, but I don't buy the arguments.

Imagine if a car sold in the UK market was limited to doing 70 mph (due to speed limits), whilst the exact same car could do 200 mph in Germany. Would that make sense to you? I think not!

As for your customer service point, that might be a genuine cause for concern, but can be easily avoided by adding a reasonable explanation to the manual. I don't believe that residents in the UK are more stupid or less able to read manuals than in the rest of the world, so I really don't see a problem.

Lastly, if the UK is such an important and large market to Panasonic, why don't they use the UK model as base for the rest of Europe. This would of course mean adding the 'missing' features, but as explained earlier, I don't see the problem.

I guess I will have to buy a Toshiba instead. 32ZP18P looks pretty good.

6. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Philips are bringing out their new pixel plus tvs this and next month so may be thorx it'd be worth your taking a look at these, as the Tosh does seem to have it's troubles?

7. M0T

M0T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Are there any web sites about the new philips tvs, for example do they have component inputs? (Starts to pray for yes)