Panasonic UHD players: Netflix and Atmos

Finally upgraded my old Yamaha A2040 to a A3080 and get Dolby Atmos from both Netflix and Amazon Prime with the 820 connected to the AVR.

My RX-A3050 only receives DD 5.1 from the UB820's Netflix app, while I get Atmos via the ATV4K. Could you please tell me what firmware version your RX-A3080 is running? Thanks!

My RX-A3050 only receives DD 5.1 from the UB820's Netflix app, while I get Atmos via the ATV4K. Could you please tell me what firmware version your RX-A3080 is running? Thanks!
My A3080 running v1.51

Thanks! Last question: did you buy your RX-A3080 in the USA?
Nope, UK. It was an open box deal and had slight damage to the side of the case but still worth the £900 I saved.

Thanks for providing that info. My friend had brought over his new RX-A1080 (USA) and it DID not get Atmos through the UB820's Netflix app on those titles known to be capable of Atmos. The only 2 RX-A3080s owners who have responded that they DID get Atmos were both in the U.K. Until I find any USA owner of the RX-A3080 who gets Neflix Atmos through the UB820's app, I'll stay with my RX-A3050 and just use the DSU to up-mix DD 5.1 to 7.1.4. I really don't want to change from Yamaha to Denon if I can help it.

Would the new ub450 be able to play Atmos on Netflix to a Atmos soundbar

Would the new ub450 be able to play Atmos on Netflix to a Atmos soundbar
I would suggest it is impossible to guarantee this :-

1. UB9000 and UB820 are still a lottery even a year later and 2 more firmwares.
2. UB450 probably has same chipsets and software base
3. None of these players are officially supported by Netflix as Atmos-capable devices.
4. User feedback suggests a compatibility/dependency on something in the connected AVR/Soundbar which determines if the Netflix App configures the app with Atmos-capability.
5. So it will possibly depend on the soundbar itself as to whether you get it.
6. Even then the complexity of how the player/soundbar/display are interconnected and the ability of each device to report or throughput what the player app needs to see properly , so only someone with your exact combination and connectivity could verify.

I would suggest it is impossible to guarantee this :-

1. UB9000 and UB820 are still a lottery even a year later and 2 more firmwares.
2. UB450 probably has same chipsets and software base
3. None of these players are officially supported by Netflix as Atmos-capable devices.
4. User feedback suggests a compatibility/dependency on something in the connected AVR/Soundbar which determines if the Netflix App configures the app with Atmos-capability.
5. So it will possibly depend on the soundbar itself as to whether you get it.
6. Even then the complexity of how the player/soundbar/display are interconnected and the ability of each device to report or throughput what the player app needs to see properly , so only someone with your exact combination and connectivity could verify.
Thank you it seems a lottery I would of thought buy now with this yes players it was a given bit obviously not thanks again

I am having the same trouble with the ub9000 and an Onkyo 3100. All I can get is Dolby digital plus but not Dolby Atmos with Netflix. I have tried all I can think of. Dolby Atmos works fine from Blu-ray Discs. Panasonic customer service has been useless. Please help.

I am having the same trouble with the ub9000 and an Onkyo 3100. All I can get is Dolby digital plus but not Dolby Atmos with Netflix. I have tried all I can think of. Dolby Atmos works fine from Blu-ray Discs. Panasonic customer service has been useless. Please help.
Atmos from Netflix is DD+ based. Atmos from discs will be a full Dolby True HD based atmos.
Where are you seeing you are getting DD+ rather than DD+ atmos? In both cases AFAIK the player will just show the core soundtrack, only the AVR will show atmos from it.

When I cycle through audio options on the avr the best I can get is dd+ surround and do not get Dolby Atmos as an option.
It would say Atmos if it was detecting Atmos in the underlying DD+ stream. You unfortunately are just seeing what a lot of us are experiencing some level of compatibility with different AVR manufacturers, and yes, Panasonic don't care and are wilfully not supporting anyone who tries to get help.

For how much these units cost it simply isn’t good enough. I changed from Oppo to this unit for this functionality and are really upset that it doesn’t work!

For how much these units cost it simply isn’t good enough. I changed from Oppo to this unit for this functionality and are really upset that it doesn’t work!

We'll you can see from this thread my own and others frustration, but the key issues are Netflix does not claim to officially support streaming Atmos on these devices, nor does Panasonic's official marketing or literature, say as much. And the fact it works on some AVRs and not others opens up the possibility of it being the AVR manufacturers problem on pre-2018 models, maybe there is a new revision in the way Atmos is encoded in DD+ that they just haven't updated support for.

We'll you can see from this thread my own and others frustration, but the key issues are Netflix does not claim to officially support streaming Atmos on these devices, nor does Panasonic's official marketing or literature, say as much. And the fact it works on some AVRs and not others opens up the possibility of it being the AVR manufacturers problem on pre-2018 models, maybe there is a new revision in the way Atmos is encoded in DD+ that they just haven't updated support for.

Yes Netflix only supports certain hardware when it comes down to Atmos.

I think the panny BDs are capable of Atmos through the app, because the internal hardware already processes Atmos for BDs. Also, my 9000 is bitstreaming the signal to my Denon AVR, so it must be my BD player that is sending the Atmos signal and my AVR is processing it, or have I got this wrong?

Any way, until Netflix actually supports all hardware fro Atmos, then I don’t think we can have a go at Panasonic in this case...

Any way, until Netflix actually supports all hardware fro Atmos, then I don’t think we can have a go at Panasonic in this case...

We'll, apart from their complete lack of support or customer service over the issue, months later.

We'll, apart from their complete lack of support or customer service over the issue, months later.
Before pointing the finger of blame I'd ask who actually codes the App. Netflix or Panasonic?
As the Netflix app has the same appearance over many platforms it points to Netflix, either directly or via a SDK they supply.

Before pointing the finger of blame I'd ask who actually codes the App. Netflix or Panasonic?
As the Netflix app has the same appearance over many platforms it points to Netflix, either directly or via a SDK they supply.
Nope, it's a Panasonic device, and it's use of the App via the Panasonic device that has an issue, so it's accountable to them to acknowledge the problem, and take the issue forward to obtain a diagnosis and answer even if the outcome ultimately lies elsewhere, and beyond their ability to remedy, but at least provide an answer either way. If you try and raise a support issue or discuss with a support representative, they will just give a non-answer unable to confirm or deny if it is even supposed to work officially, and mostly not even understand the issue most of the time. They promise to log the call, and pass to engineering, and then you don't get a response, and you have to chase, and then you eventually either get a copy-paste note from the manual about setting Audio to Bitstream, etc, this is despite painstakingly providing detailed descriptions of the problem, and confirmation of settings, in the original support request, which clearly no-one bothered to attempt to read. I've tried this 3 times and got nowhere, albeit once they suggested I raise the issue with Netflix, which is documented as well herein.

Panasonic has a responsibility to provide support and customer-care, and they are simply not doing that, and you can't excuse that.

Nope, it's a Panasonic device, and it's use of the App via the Panasonic device that has an issue, so it's accountable to them to acknowledge the problem, and take the issue forward to obtain a diagnosis and answer even if the outcome ultimately lies elsewhere, and beyond their ability to remedy, but at least provide an answer either way. If you try and raise a support issue or discuss with a support representative, they will just give a non-answer unable to confirm or deny if it is even supposed to work officially, and mostly not even understand the issue most of the time. They promise to log the call, and pass to engineering, and then you don't get a response, and you have to chase, and then you eventually either get a copy-paste note from the manual about setting Audio to Bitstream, etc, this is despite painstakingly providing detailed descriptions of the problem, and confirmation of settings, in the original support request, which clearly no-one bothered to attempt to read. I've tried this 3 times and got nowhere, albeit once they suggested I raise the issue with Netflix, which is documented as well herein.

Panasonic has a responsibility to provide support and customer-care, and they are simply not doing that, and you can't excuse that.

I do agree with you on this, they should provide support and confirm why some of their players are doing this whether where it as a feature or a bug!

I do agree with you on this, they should provide support and confirm why some of their players are doing this whether where it as a feature or a bug!
It's Netflix that supplies the app to Panasonic so I think the buck stops with Netflix and it's up to them to decide whether the UB820 becomes an officially supported device.

It's Netflix that supplies the app to Panasonic so I think the buck stops with Netflix and it's up to them to decide whether the UB820 becomes an officially supported device.
So if you buy a car prefitted with the option of a sound system that doesn't work as expected you think it's reasonable for the people who sold you the car to say nothing to do with us, go speak to the company who made the sound system?

No I didn’t say panasonic should support the device, I meant provide support I.e. help people when they raise a query or issue!

So if you buy a car prefitted with the option of a sound system that doesn't work as expected you think it's reasonable for the people who sold you the car to say nothing to do with us, go speak to the company who made the sound system?
Incorrect analogy imo.
It's a car prefitted with a radio tuner which needs another 3rd party device (AVR) the customer must supply to actually provide the sound. What you are complaining about is Radio 1 only playing in mono rather than stereo unless you use a certain brand of 3rd party device (AVR).

Plus Radio 1 itself doesn't show in their list of supported tuners that the one in your car can receive it in stereo. Unfortunately neither Radio 1 or the maker of the car tuner appears to know that if you use a certain brand of 3rd party device (AVR) you can get stereo.

As has been mentioned many times Panasonic Netflix atmos seems to work if you have a late model year Denon/Marantz AVR.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried with a Marantz NR1609 (or similar AVR)?

BTW , how is the speed of the Netflix and Amazon apps in these Panasonic Blu-ray players? Compared to, say, a firetv stick...

Thx

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom