Question Panasonic UB900 vs Samsung UBDK8500

Dave964

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've read a few reviews, and some suggest the PQ is very slight better on the Panasonic - but at almost twice the price, is it really worth the extra?

Years ago, I moved away from playing actual discs and ripped everything to my NAS. In the last year, I've started moving away from the NAS to Amazon Video - but having just bought a 4k TV, the film's I want to buy are only HD on there and even if they were 4k people are telling me the picture will be better from a player. Plus it will give me something to unwrap at Christmas!

Most of my AV stuff is fairly high end which means I tend towards the Panasonic - if it did DV that would clinch it. But I'm in two minds - the Samsung is barely over £200 now which makes it very tempting - especially since I could buy all the 4k films I want over Christmas and still have change compared to the Panasonic.

Is the Panasonic worth the extra?

Get the Panny UB700 @ £299 rather than the Panny UB900 unless you need analogue outs.

The Sammy is ok but has had a few reliability issues.

Get the Panny UB700 @ £299 rather than the Panny UB900 unless you need analogue outs.

The Sammy is ok but has had a few reliability issues.
What he said. I've had the Samsung (returned due to issues) and the Panasonic UB700 which I much prefer. The Samsung is better with NAS playback of blu-ray rips and playback of Netflix/Amazon streaming (Panasonic output streamed 24p at 60hz). The Panasonics have a better UI, setup options and in playback video options. They are also much quieter in operation.

If you are not bothered by player noise, the curved design, a few niggles, plus a crap remote then get the Samsung as with the bundled 3 disks it's better value. But I've read a few reports of the Samsungs packing up after a few months. If you want something a bit away from cheap and cheerful bargain basement get a Panasonic (I've had a few Panasonic players over the years and they have all been reliable).

Last edited:
Thanks.
The design doesn't worry me too much since it will be out of sight anyway but it seems like the 700 is the way to go. I won't use the additional sound outputs of the 900.

Amazon is £345 for the 700 so will do some searching - I'd definitely like it for £299!

Excellent, thanks! I know somebody who works in Crawley - wonder if she'd pick it up for me!
You could also try getting Richer Sounds to price match Avensys if you've got one closer.

Done - that's what we call an impulse buy. Thanks for the suggestions - stuck it under the tree and will add some 4k films before Christmas day.

What did you go for, was it the panasonic DMP-700 ?

What did you go for, was it the panasonic DMP-700 ?

Yes - at that price it seemed the obvious choice.

Presumably Richer price matched?

I didn't try - I have a 'summer' car which I wanted to give a run, and Crawley is only about an hour's drive (plus I figured it would be easier getting to a Crawley of of town store than a town centre RS 2 weeks before Christmas!)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom