• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Panasonic ub820 Vs Sony ubp x700

Doctor Smith

I would like a 4k uhd player with Dolby vision.
So my question is HDR tone mapping on the Panasonic worth the extra over the Sony?
Also is tone mapping enabled for Netflix on the Panasonic?
Will I get Dolby Atmos with Netflix on the 2 players?
I own an Lg b6 oled , is the picture quality better for Netflix on the TV app or the 4k player?

Thanks

AKC

At present I wouldn't recommend the Sony Ubp700 as Like other owners experience freezing issues on Uhd 4K disks. Sony are currently looking into this issue for me .There is one video on you tube who owned a Sony ubp700 he then bought a Panasonic UB 820 and says they didn't experience any freezing issues which they did with the Sony.

Doctor Smith

At present I wouldn't recommend the Sony Ubp700 as Like other owners experience freezing issues on Uhd 4K disks. Sony are currently looking into this issue for me .There is one video on you tube who owned a Sony ubp700 he then bought a Panasonic UB 820 and says they didn't experience any freezing issues which they did with the Sony.
Thanks. Was not aware of this issue. I must admit I'm leaning towards the panny even though it costs more.

ashenfie

Regarding the OP original question. Picture wise there is nothing in it. If you don't have DV and older TV with HDR only, then you will find a few discs have noticeably better tone mapping.

IMHO i would purchase the Panasonic as they have been producing problem free UHD players for a few years. Previously I had Sony which always seemed to freeze from time to time.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom