Panasonic UB820 vs Cambridge CXUHD

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by anabolism, Aug 5, 2018.

1. anabolism

anabolism
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Completely torn between these players. Cambridge has a superior build quality but I'm hearing Panasonic likely edges it out for picture quality. Would I even be able to discern picture quality variation with two high end players? I just don't like the plastic build of the UB820 and the UB9000 is likely out of my price range as they're going to be charging an arm and a leg for that one.

Curious when the new Pioneer UHD player is going to drop and at what specs and price point.

2. Livemo

Livemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Heard great things about the UB820 something what I'm very interested in. The pioneer uhd player we should no more come IFA

3. gav_sw20

gav_sw20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I’m in the same boat as want a BDP for Projector duties.

The CXUHD is built like a tank and would match the rest of my Cambridge kit so is would appease my OCD.

But for £300 less the UB820 gives a better picture albeit a very plasticky looking device. Then again all it does is sit there in a hi-fi rack.

I too am waiting for the outcome of IFA but with the current Panny product range as it is I can’t see them releasing a better model under the current price point. My bet is that the new model is built like a tank but sits around the £600 mark.

4. anabolism

anabolism
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes! IFA! Perhaps we can get some additional news on that new Pioneer unit on the horizon. Looks like a solid build.

5. Livemo

Livemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I think the 9000 will go for least £900, that's been the price mentioned

6. gav_sw20

gav_sw20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    If the only model being released is the 9000 (which as you say is £900) then I’m going to pull the trigger on an 820.

Think I got confused and I mistakenly thought there was something being released in the middle of the two.

The 9000 is gorgeous though..just not £900 gorgeous.

7. anabolism

anabolism
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Pioneer just officially announced their UHD player today on their website. Still waiting for a price point and release date.

8. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +10,694
    I have the CXUHD and it is an awesome player. Super quiet, quick to load discs and very well built.

You won't tell the difference in picture quality on these players.

9. gav_sw20

gav_sw20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Thanks for feedback, owners are quite rare. Did you pay full RRP at Richer Sounds or did they do you a deal at all?

As the Oppo 203 is no longer with us I can see the price on these slowly creeping up.

10. anabolism

anabolism
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Good to know. I read a review on it which was mostly positive but indicated some slight picture noise. Probably wouldn't notice that on a 65" screen however. I just wish they would hurry up with a low latency (Sony) Dolby Vision firmware update because I'm planning on buying a Sony OLED.

11. Anton2015

Anton2015
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,614
    When people talk about picture quality I think it’s important to mention if you are referring to 4k or 1080p upscaling to 4k for all your regular blu Ray.

I’ve now owned the ub900, Sammy 8500, Oppo 203, UB700 and now have the UB820.

Whilst I could barely tell the difference for native 4k movies IMO there was a big difference when upscaling.

Panasonic IMO offer the best upscaling possible outside of buying something like a lumagen.

The UB820 is superb vakue for money and offers brilliant performance.

12. anabolism

anabolism
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    While I'm aware that these players have varied ability of upscaling, tvs also upscale. If the particular TV you own has great upscaling then shouldn't you allow your TV to perform this duty as opposed to the player?

13. Anton2015

Anton2015
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,614
    They do indeed but that can actually be harder than you think.

For example take the Panasonic.

You can either set it to ‘auto’ which will detect the res of the TV and output to that.

Set it to 1080p which will then leave ur blu day at 1080p but then downscale your lovely new 4k movies.

Or set it to 4k that will hoecakes 1080p but leave 4k as is.

I know the Oppo has a native res function but I’m not sure how many others do that.

Then of course comes there’s the issue of what TV you have. Just because the TV costs a lot more doesn’t mean it’s upscaling will be better.

Panasonic upscaling is often referred to as some of the best upscaling in the business so youbcoukd also argue if you can get access to that relatively cheaply why would you not want to do it ?

But as you say, it does depend on what TV you have and which UHD player you have as if you can’t send out a native signal, I dare say most people would not want to go into the settings each time you want him a movie to check if you’re sending out the correct res.