Panasonic ub820 player audio issues

Drooch

I have a ub820 connected to a chunky old amp - the Denon AVC-A1SE - via analogue cables. My speakers are the reasonably big KEF THX Reference range.

I was watching my Jurassic Park UHD and found the audio less meaty than another 5.1 system I have which is newer, all HDMI, but with a cheaper amp and much smaller speakers.

As an experiment, I hooked up an optical cable from the ub820 to the AVC-A1SE and the sound was much bigger with more bass all round. For example, there‘s a moment when the raptor pokes its head under the kitchen surface and knocks over some plastic tupperware with its snout - when it quickly retracts its head there is a ’whoosh’ sound, and it always sounded ’big’ and bassy on my small system. Not so when I use the analogue cables, but through the optical it sounded great.

This baffled me because I understood that analogue gave almost HDMI levels of HD-audio, and optical was lossy and to be avoided. The optical also allows me to transform stereo into Pro-Logic and Neo, which the AVC-A1SE can’t do through its analogue inputs.

Does anyone know why I’m getting much better audio through optical than analogue?

An additional point that might be relevant - when I do a speaker channel test on the ub820, it skips the subwoofer test (when I do this on the amp, the subwoofer is present). I wonder if this is related to the weak bass I’m getting through the analogues? When I feel the subwoofer during a movie it is rumbling away, but its not nearly as active as when I go optical.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

atmoscinema

Yes, i've had the exact same issue on my Panasonic UB900.

I'm sure my Samsung 7500 was the same.

And two different Subwoofers.

I had to take a subwoofer out cable feed from my Yamaha E800 decoder amp into the subwoofer along with the UB900 subwoofer out cable feed too, using a phono splitter.

Last edited:

goingoingong

Distinguished Member
I have a ub820 connected to a chunky old amp - the Denon AVC-A1SE - via analogue cables. My speakers are the reasonably big KEF THX Reference range.

I was watching my Jurassic Park UHD and found the audio less meaty than another 5.1 system I have which is newer, all HDMI, but with a cheaper amp and much smaller speakers.

As an experiment, I hooked up an optical cable from the ub820 to the AVC-A1SE and the sound was much bigger with more bass all round. For example, there‘s a moment when the raptor pokes its head under the kitchen surface and knocks over some plastic tupperware with its snout - when it quickly retracts its head there is a ’whoosh’ sound, and it always sounded ’big’ and bassy on my small system. Not so when I use the analogue cables, but through the optical it sounded great.

This baffled me because I understood that analogue gave almost HDMI levels of HD-audio, and optical was lossy and to be avoided. The optical also allows me to transform stereo into Pro-Logic and Neo, which the AVC-A1SE can’t do through its analogue inputs.

Does anyone know why I’m getting much better audio through optical than analogue?

An additional point that might be relevant - when I do a speaker channel test on the ub820, it skips the subwoofer test (when I do this on the amp, the subwoofer is present). I wonder if this is related to the weak bass I’m getting through the analogues? When I feel the subwoofer during a movie it is rumbling away, but its not nearly as active as when I go optical.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
  1. Is it only bass from the subwoofer that you feel is lacking?
  2. What crossover frequency are you using?
  3. Is the subwoofer set to LFE or LFE+main?
  4. Front L/R speakers set to small or large?
  5. What happens if you turn the gain/volume up on the subwoofer?

Drooch

1. Is it only bass from the subwoofer that you feel is lacking?
  2. What crossover frequency are you using?
  3. Is the subwoofer set to LFE or LFE+main?
  4. Front L/R speakers set to small or large?
  5. What happens if you turn the gain/volume up on the subwoofer?
1. Difficult to tell but the lack of bass feels quite ‘generalised’.
2. The amp is set to ‘THX fixed’ and the sub is dialled to 90hz and the evel dial is 50%.
3. It‘s set to LFE - the only option available when your speakers are set to ‘small’.
4. Even though they’re physically big I was advised to set them to ‘small’.
5. It helps but I still don’t get that bassy ‘whoosh’ from the raptor, and when I crank it up the sub starts to ‘hum’. With optical I’m on 50%, big bass, no hum.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom