Panasonic UB820 4k Blu-ray player, help needed.

Steve Burling

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My ‘Man Cave’ secondary set up is as follows

TV - Samsung KS9000
Receiver- Marantz SR6008
Blu-ray player - DP-UB820
Speakers - Focal Dome 5.1
Sky (Mini box)

I have sky linked through the receiver into the tv via HDMI 4ARC everything is working great

I brought the Panasonic UB820 which is a great machine, I’ve attached the HDMI video to the TV (HDMI 3 ) for the 4k picture, and the HDMI Audio only on the ‘Blu-ray HDMI on the back of the Receiver.
The picture is great however I know that I won’t be able to play Atmos and DTS-X as I’ve only got a 5.1 setup but I wanted the HD Surround formats of Dolby and DTS.
’m only getting Stereo from the speakers connected to the receiver, and not getting anything from the surrounds.
Also the graphics from the Receiver volume etc don’t show on the screen like they do on the sky channel.
receiver keeps changing the input to ‘TV audio’ on the display of the receiver from Blu-ray after approximately 30 seconds

any advice would be a great help

As the new Blu-ray player is Panasonic, I was advised to post this issue to the Panasonic owners, as they would be more experienced to assist with these issues. I could only find this specific group under the TV section, please advise if I’m in the right place.

Hi,

My ‘Man Cave’ secondary set up is as follows

TV - Samsung KS9000
Receiver- Marantz SR6008
Blu-ray player - DP-UB820
Speakers - Focal Dome 5.1
Sky (Mini box)

I have sky linked through the receiver into the tv via HDMI 4ARC everything is working great

I brought the Panasonic UB820 which is a great machine, I’ve attached the HDMI video to the TV (HDMI 3 ) for the 4k picture, and the HDMI Audio only on the ‘Blu-ray HDMI on the back of the Receiver.
The picture is great however I know that I won’t be able to play Atmos and DTS-X as I’ve only got a 5.1 setup but I wanted the HD Surround formats of Dolby and DTS.
’m only getting Stereo from the speakers connected to the receiver, and not getting anything from the surrounds.
Also the graphics from the Receiver volume etc don’t show on the screen like they do on the sky channel.
receiver keeps changing the input to ‘TV audio’ on the display of the receiver from Blu-ray after approximately 30 seconds

any advice would be a great help

As the new Blu-ray player is Panasonic, I was advised to post this issue to the Panasonic owners, as they would be more experienced to assist with these issues. I could only find this specific group under the TV section, please advise if I’m in the right place.
Check you have the UB820 Digital Audio Output set to bitstream and secondary audio off.
If you mean when watching a blu-ray etc on the UB820 they won't. The TV is set to HDMI3 for theUB820 and the SR6008 isn't connected to that so can't show the OSD.
Sounds like the TV ARC is setting the input to itself. It's because of niggles of that type that I don't use CEC/ARC but instead use optical between TV and AVR. Set the input on the SR6008 back to the one used by the UB820.

Last edited:
Disable Viera Link on the 820. That should fix things. After the change power-up the 820 and select the TV HDMI connection, then select the correct input on the amp. You’ll also need to configure the 820 to send audio over its second HDMI port.

Disable Viera Link on the 820. That should fix things. After the change power-up the 820 and select the TV HDMI connection, then select the correct input on the amp. You’ll also need to configure the 820 to send audio over its second HDMI port.
I can't see that achieving anything (although could well be wrong), surely it's the TV which is switching the AVR input to TV audio, not the player?

On my set-up, video goes to the TV, audio to my soundbar. VieraLink is off. When I want to watch something, I power-up the player, and select the relevant HDMI input on the TV. I then select the correct input on the soundbar, and play a disc. All good. If VieraLink is on, at every screen mode change on the player, it switches the soundbar back to the TV input via the CEC switching. Because of that, the player then no longer 'sees' a valid connection for the audio, and tries to route it through my TV. As it doesn't route audio properly, I get no audio, so have to eject the disc and try again, trying to override the input switching on the soundbar to stop the player screwing things up.

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.
I’ve looked into these suggestions however problem still not solved.
Whilst reading in the internet I’ve come across that the receiver isn’t HDCP 2.2. Could this be the final piece of the puzzle as the the Blu-ray player and TV are compliant????
hope I’m wrong

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.
I’ve looked into these suggestions however problem still not solved.
Whilst reading in the internet I’ve come across that the receiver isn’t HDCP 2.2. Could this be the final piece of the puzzle as the the Blu-ray player and TV are compliant????
hope I’m wrong
As your UB820 video output doesn't go through the receiver it is immaterial whether it is or isn't HDCP 2.2.

Have you turned off HDMI CEC in the TV to see if that cures the AVR showing TV Audio?
Check UB820 2nd HDMI port (audio) is configured as audio only (although this is the default). If not, make it so...

Last edited:
Hi G,

thanks for the info, I lost sound earlier but switched the CEC on the tv to ‘off’ and I have sound from the speakers not the tv which is great, however I can’t seem to get the surrounds or the centre including on the Blu-ray content

Yes HDMI Audio is set to ‘Audio Only’

See info on ‘Playback info’

Attachments

• EC0E50CA-55E8-4B5E-849A-E9E4A9E283C2.jpeg
    EC0E50CA-55E8-4B5E-849A-E9E4A9E283C2.jpeg
    256.4 KB · Views: 154
Hi G,

thanks for the info, I lost sound earlier but switched the CEC on the tv to ‘off’ and I have sound from the speakers not the tv which is great, however I can’t seem to get the surrounds or the centre including on the Blu-ray content
1. Try a different HDMI port on the SR6008 for the UB820 audio in
2. Try connecting the UB820 main HDMI port to the SR6008 (rather than the TV) and play a 5.1 blu-ray or DVD so the lack of 4K passthrough and HDCP 2.2 isn't an issue. If you don't get the audio then, it would seem to point to a player problem.
3. Get photos of all the UB820 audio settings and post them here.

Hi,
1. I’ve changed the HDMI AUDIO from the Blu-ray input on the receiver to the ‘Game’ input and pleased to say all the speakers are working.

2. Are you meaning route the HDMI VIDEO from the Blu-ray player to the receiver, if so where should this be inputted at the back of the receiver?

I forgot to mention when I’m playing the Blu-ray player through the receiver (HDMI 4) Sky, this shows the OSD, but when I change to (HDMI 1) Blu-ray player, there’s no OSD. Can this be fixed ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom