Question Panasonic UB700 Question about playback of UHD discs

XstreamToxics

Novice Member
Hello guys and girls
I have a question, I just bought the panasonic UB700 which is my first 4K bluray player, along with it I bought Harry Potter: The Deathly Hallows Part 2. So the problem is that when I play the disc its kinda grainy and not really that sharp looking (not what I expected of 4K). I pressed the Options button on the controller of player and then on playback and then Playback Information Window. And there was information about how much data was send (I think atleast it was the data being send, im no expert) and it said that it was around 25-30Mbps. I then put in a regular bluray disc of Game of thrones Season 2 and it was using 23Mbps of data in the intro and later when the episode really started it was using around 15Mbps, and it is also note worthy that I think the regular bluray looks better then the UHD disc, it looked like the regular bluray disc was a higher resolution.

So my question is, is this normal or is there something wrong with the player? What kind of data output do you get when you are watching a UHD disc?

Last edited:

citywalker

If put data aside, then did you get the uhd signal at all? Was 4K HDR BT2020 etc info on the output display?

UHD looks always better than FHD, but you should compare the same movie because 4k quality depends how it is produced too. Not all 4k movies are good looking, but most still are.

Last edited:

XstreamToxics

Novice Member
If put data aside, then did you get the uhd signal at all? Was 4K HDR BT2020 etc info on the output display?

UHD looks always better than FHD, but you should compare the same movie because 4k quality depends how it is produced too. Not all 4k movies are good looking, but most still are.
Yes I did still get the signal and the hdr just like its supposed too be. But in my opinion it didnt look better at all, I put in the regular bluray instead and it looked almost the same, the only difference was that the UHD version looked a bit darker. I dont know if Harry Potter is just a bad remaster?

Ive ordered more UHD discs (The Martian and Mad Max: Fure Road) so I will see if those look better or not. Because I think its weird that and upscaled bluray disc of Game of Thrones Season 2 looks like its a higher resolution than the UHD disc. The Game of Thrones disc also has far more detail then the UHD Harry Potter disc, you can see the individual hairs on someones face on Game of Thrones whilst on Harry Potter it looks a bit blurry and there is A LOT of grain.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom