Panasonic UB450/420 or UB820

joroma

I have got a Panny HZ2000 with built in Intelligent Sensing etc etc and a Yamaha RX-A2A AVR.

I am buying a new blu ray player and have two technical question for you guys who understand how players actually work!

1) As my top of the range TV has built in image processing etc will I see any difference in picture quality between the UB450 (no HDR Optimser) and the UB820 (with HDR Optimiser)? If I will why?

2) If I pass the audio straight through to my AVR will I see any difference in my audio quality? If I will why?

I am assuming both players allow bitrate pass through??

I am aware of the difference in build quality and remote but my only interest is my viewing and listening experience!!

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Start by having a poke around in the UB450/UB820 threads in the blu-ray forum. That's a better place for your question. Ask the moderators to move it for you.

chief barker

Distinguished Member
I have got a Panny HZ2000 with built in Intelligent Sensing etc etc and a Yamaha RX-A2A AVR.

I am buying a new blu ray player and have two technical question for you guys who understand how players actually work!

1) As my top of the range TV has built in image processing etc will I see any difference in picture quality between the UB450 (no HDR Optimser) and the UB820 (with HDR Optimiser)? If I will why?

2) If I pass the audio straight through to my AVR will I see any difference in my audio quality? If I will why?

I am assuming both players allow bitrate pass through??

I am aware of the difference in build quality and remote but my only interest is my viewing and listening experience!!

Watch this Video regarding the UB9000/820 HDR optimizer.

You have a high end TV - my advice is not to skimp on the player. Just get the UB820 and enjoy it, it's a fantastic player.

joroma

Fair comment. I’m not looking to skimp but if the 450 gives as good a picture and audio I prefer it’s size in my cabinet. The TV in the demo isn’t Panasonic and I’m wondering if the optimiser in the 820 is actually already built into my TV.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
That video doesn’t tell the while story though. If you look at one of my lengthy posts, and I can’t remember if I posted in the 450 or 820 thread, I added an additional chunk of comparison material.

joroma

Have a look at this it might help

He seems to skip over the HDR Optimiser bit suggesting that it only gives more control which I don’t think is correct so he doesn’t really answer my question regarding picture quality. I come back to that ie does the picture processing on the Panny HZ2000 negate the need for the HDR Optimiser offered on the 820. With regard to the remote my HZ2000 backlit remote will control the 450 so doesn’t that negate the remote issue?

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom