Panasonic UB 820 - Pioneer 701 - Vizio P75 (2016) > Static Noise

KangarooFactory

Novice Member
Reaction score
I've been working on this for about six hours. I'm trying to upgrade from a Sony X800; the X800 had issues reading discs and would freeze every now and then.

UB 820 won't handshake, or something with the TV. On initial set up the screen just goes blank and tells me to check my connections. Sometimes it would display static noise. Sometimes nothing at all. A few hours ago I thought I had it figured out; I disabled the second HDMI output on the LX 701 receiver, and voila, it worked. I watched Lawrence of Arabia in glorious Dolby Vision. It looked great; I could really see the difference.
A few hours later, I wanted to watch Blade Runner to see how the 820's HCX processor handles an HDR source, but I pushed the Netflix button while trying to navigate the options menu, and now it has gone back to static noise.
I have sound. No picture, just static noise.
It works when I bypass the receiver and connect directly to the TV..
I understand why people buy soundbars and use their TV to stream. I've spent over 6k on this set up, and I'm just blown away the X800 refuses to play discs often enough, the Roku loses HDCP and crashes all the time, and now this 820 that was supposed to be the solution doesn't really work at all.
I'm thinking it's the receiver. But why did it work before? Why won't it work now?

I've been working on this for about six hours. I'm trying to upgrade from a Sony X800; the X800 had issues reading discs and would freeze every now and then.

UB 820 won't handshake, or something with the TV. On initial set up the screen just goes blank and tells me to check my connections. Sometimes it would display static noise. Sometimes nothing at all. A few hours ago I thought I had it figured out; I disabled the second HDMI output on the LX 701 receiver, and voila, it worked. I watched Lawrence of Arabia in glorious Dolby Vision. It looked great; I could really see the difference.
A few hours later, I wanted to watch Blade Runner to see how the 820's HCX processor handles an HDR source, but I pushed the Netflix button while trying to navigate the options menu, and now it has gone back to static noise.
I have sound. No picture, just static noise.
It works when I bypass the receiver and connect directly to the TV..
I understand why people buy soundbars and use their TV to stream. I've spent over 6k on this set up, and I'm just blown away the X800 refuses to play discs often enough, the Roku loses HDCP and crashes all the time, and now this 820 that was supposed to be the solution doesn't really work at all.
I'm thinking it's the receiver. But why did it work before? Why won't it work now?
Is that using the same cable you used from the receiver to the TV?
That the UB820 works OK directly connected to the TV shows there isn't a problem with it or the TV.
So the problem must lie with the cables or the receiver.

Ya, using the same hdmi out, and being that these cables worked with the X800, I'm inclined to believe they're ok.

I decided to try and trick the receiver into working. I unplugged the main hdmi out and used the sub hdmi out which goes to a low lag non hdr port that I use for a HTPC, and the player displayed a non hdr Lawrence just fine on the sub out side.

I continued after the dual hdmi angle. I disconnected the sub cable, and reconnected the main. By chance I kept after the menu, making sure the hdmi out stayed as main only, and I discovered that if I opened the menu and double tapped the setting each time I inserted a new disc, the static noise picture would go away.

In one case, my equipment was such a buggy mess I could not even enter the receiver menu. I had shut everything down. But I was able to get it to display correctly after restarting and repeating the process of hitting enter on the main option in the output menu.

I feel a tad ridiculous going into the menus each time just to get it to display correctly. Any idea why dual hdmi out would be the locus of the issue?

Ya, using the same hdmi out, and being that these cables worked with the X800, I'm inclined to believe they're ok.

I decided to try and trick the receiver into working. I unplugged the main hdmi out and used the sub hdmi out which goes to a low lag non hdr port that I use for a HTPC, and the player displayed a non hdr Lawrence just fine on the sub out side.

I continued after the dual hdmi angle. I disconnected the sub cable, and reconnected the main. By chance I kept after the menu, making sure the hdmi out stayed as main only, and I discovered that if I opened the menu and double tapped the setting each time I inserted a new disc, the static noise picture would go away.

In one case, my equipment was such a buggy mess I could not even enter the receiver menu. I had shut everything down. But I was able to get it to display correctly after restarting and repeating the process of hitting enter on the main option in the output menu.

I feel a tad ridiculous going into the menus each time just to get it to display correctly. Any idea why dual hdmi out would be the locus of the issue?
What menu? and on what device?

How are you connected from the UB820 to the Pioneer?. It sounds like you have both the primary and secondary UB820 HDMI outs going into the Pioneer? If so, why?

Last edited:
It's in an LX701 settings menu under input/output, and then submenu TV Out.

A single cable connects the 820 to the LX701.

I have normally have two HDMI out cables coming out of the receiver, the main one is for HDR Signals (hdmi 1) and the sub one is a low input lag SDR connection for my HTPC (hdmi 5).

It's in an LX701 settings menu under input/output, and then submenu TV Out.

A single cable connects the 820 to the LX701.

I have normally have two HDMI out cables coming out of the receiver, the main one is for HDR Signals (hdmi 1) and the sub one is a low input lag SDR connection for my HTPC (hdmi 5).
If you can't find a fix to the going through the pioneer problem you could always just connect the UB820 primary HDMI port direct to the TV and its secondary HDMI port to the Pioneer configured as audio only.

Ya, you're right, I could bypass it, but when I did it, it seemed like the picture and audio were out of sync. But it could have just been the scene I was watching in Lawrence. I'll also lose the receiver's on screen display, which matters to me because all of my av equipment is in a closet behind the TV.

It's not fixed per se, but I can consistently trick it into working by going into the receiver menus.

I think I'm going to keep the 820; Dolby Vision is worth the added hassle. And so far tonight the 820 hasn't failed to play a disc, which is a huge improvement over the X800.

Thanks for helping me think through the problem.

Ya, you're right, I could bypass it, but when I did it, it seemed like the picture and audio were out of sync. But it could have just been the scene I was watching in Lawrence. I'll also lose the receiver's on screen display, which matters to me because all of my av equipment is in a closet behind the TV.

It's not fixed per se, but I can consistently trick it into working by going into the receiver menus.

I think I'm going to keep the 820; Dolby Vision is worth the added hassle. And so far tonight the 820 hasn't failed to play a disc, which is a huge improvement over the X800.

Thanks for helping me think through the problem.
1. There is a lip sync control in the UB820 from what I remember.
2. You'd still have access to the receiver OSD if you select the receiver HDMI on the TV

I found that I only have to enter the menu and exit in order to fix the image.

I'd suggest replacing all of the HDMI cables with certified premium ones. They are very low cost and very often that fixes a lot of these type of problems that are reported on the forums.

Make sure that the new cables have the premium certification badge, something like this:

I'm using monoprice hdmi cables. I agree with your sentiment, but in this case, I think the cables are working correctly.

I'm using monoprice hdmi cables. I agree with your sentiment, but in this case, I think the cables are working correctly.
Which mono price cables are you using? If they are not premium certified, you might want to try switching them. Many many people have said the same as you, but reluctantly tried premium certified cables and find their problems are fixed. No guarantees it will work for your situation, but very inexpensive to try and you can always return them if they don't make any difference.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom