Panasonic TZ7, TZ10 or TZ8

bill the bus

sorry to ask for opinions again but i am looking for anyone who can tell me the main differences between these cameras.

I had decided on the TZ7 but having seen so many reports of cracked screens i am wary of buying.

What i need to know is apart from the GPS which i will not use what has the TZ10 got that the TZ7 and TZ8 has not as its about £50 more. What is the difference between the TZ7 and TZ8. I understand that the 7 & 8 are older models but that does not worry me if i can save a few quid :DHave tried reading the revies but am getting more and more confused :rolleyes:

Does anyone know whether the 8 & 10 has any problems with the screen cracking as they look very similar.

I am looking for a good quality camera that shoots in all conditions including lower light, the HD recorder would be good but not an absolute.
Do not mind paying the extra for the newer TZ10 but only if it is worth it.

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
The TZ8 isn't an older model, it's the cheaper version of the TZ10 just as the TZ6 is the cheaper version of the TZ7 - as the TZ10 now replaces the TZ7 as the flagship TZ camera it's caused the TZ7 to drop to a lower pricepoint. The main differences between the TZ7 and 8 are that the TZ7 has twice the screen resolution (both 3in but 230K for the TZ8 and 460K for the TZ7), no hdmi port on the TZ8 and the TZ8 lacks AVCHD support although it can still record in HD using the less efficient m-jpeg codec.

Aside from the GPS I think the other main features the TZ10 has over the TZ7 are manual control and an improved stabilisation system (Power OIS rather than Mega OIS).

John

nheather

Distinguished Member
I'm looking at similar.

The biggest thing for me, is that the TZ10 and the TZ7 have over the TZ8 is the higher resolution screen.

Could be a gimic, but this would be my first camera without a viewfinder and given these cameras have large zooms you will be relying on the screen to tell that the focus has locked in correctly.

In summary this is how I see them.

TZ10 is the replacement for TZ7. It introduces GPS, some additional manual functions and a different (presumably better) stabilisation.

TZ8 is a replacement for the TZ6. When compared with the TZ10, it lacks the GPS and hi-res screen.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:

Aardvarks

The biggest thing for me, is that the TZ10 and the TZ7 have over the TZ8 is the higher resolution screen.

Could be a gimic, but this would be my first camera without a viewfinder and given these cameras have large zooms you will be relying on the screen to tell that the focus has locked in correctly.

In summary this is how I see them.

TZ10 is the replacement for TZ7. It introduces GPS, some additional manual functions and a different (presumably better) stabilisation.

TZ8 is a replacement for the TZ6. When compared with the TZ10, it lacks the GPS and hi-res screen.

Cheers,

Nigel

Focus lock is confimed by a red square on the view screen.

If there are several objects at differing depths, the camera will give you a lock at each depth and use a smaller aperture to maintain a deep field of focus.

I use a TZ6 and the focussing even at 300mm has been accurate and always shows you what it has locked on. The screen is a 2.7 inch and I have not had any problems using it, and I have poor eyesight compared with people of my age.

The camera will not take the shot unless focus is confirmed.

TZ8 also lacks stereo sound and AVCHD lite file format for the HD video.

TZ65 if you can find one is a TZ6 with a TZ7 screen

TZ9 as far as I can tell is a TZ10 without GPS

Lastly, my TZ6 has proven to be an idiot proof point and shoot in IA mode. I would say it has got over 90% of shots correct on the first try, damn I wish I was as fast and smart with my SLR. I have captured more family memories and happy faces with this litte camera as It goes with me all the time.

I do not miss the higher res screen becuase I have never had one. My TZ6 was an upgrade over the FS15 which I took back within 4 weeks to get the better zoom

Last edited:

nheather

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the info. I assumed it would be like my DSLR and previous (now dead) canon compact.

I sometimes find that they will focus on odd things - so there is lock and the camera will take a picture - but it won't take what I want.

Beacuse I can see it is not focussing as I want, I move it around a bit and keep trying until it locks on what I'm after.

Was worried that with a low res screen I might not be able to see that it had focussed on the 'wrong thing'. I've never had a camera without a viewfinder.

Cheers,

Nigel

pips

I do the same as you (with my TZ7) and move it around a little if it won't focus on my chosen subject. I can always see very clearly exactly what it is focussing on :smashin:

RobbySpurs

Distinguished Member
I have been looking at these cameras as a supplement to my SLR. Also looking at the FS33 which is a little less. Anyone have any views on how the FS 33 compares to the TZ7 or 8?

Thanks!

phl0w

Standard Member
Hi,
sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I'm in the same boat. Since I hardly take pictures and just need a camera for some occasions, I wanted a reasonable priced point & shoot, and bought a DMC-FS10. It's basically a good camera and all. It's small, light and takes amazing shots out of the box... BUT: Only as long as the sun is shining. It appears to only take good pictures in good weather, i.e. good light conditions (besides the fact that its 5x zoom is too little for most of my macro-ing needs). Now I want to fork out a little extra and get a TZ. But which one? I read tons of reviews on the net and I understand that 8 and 10 are the exact same model when it comes to picture quality. Is that true? I mean they come with different picture processing engines after all. I don't need GPS, video recording or the bigger LCD as long as a TZ8 shoots the exact same pictures as a TZ10.
Concerning the TZ7: Maybe someone can shine some light on what appears to be the best p&s camera of the three. I read on quite a many sides that the TZ7 takes the best pictures of the three due to it's image sensor being less pixel-crowded (10MP vs. the 8's and 10's 12.1MP). Can someone clear that up, please?
Seeing that the TZ7 is still the most expensive of the three, does that mean it actually shoots the best pictures?
Helpful insights or a simple "buy the ..." appreciated!
Regards

Mr Moon

I'm looking to replace my Ixus 130. I've had it for just over a month. PQ is great but it's too dainty for me. Looking at TZ10 but also tempted by TZ20.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom