Panasonic tz7 - memory card stopped working - anyone know how to recover files? :(

goatywoaty

Hi guys,

When viewing photos on my camera, the previews suddenly went blank and it came up with a strange error so I stopped using the camera and waited till I got home to plug the camera in and take the photos off. Annoyingly when I plugged it in, the computer says I need to format the memory card before using it, so it appears that it has been corrupted. This is very annoying as its got all my holiday photos and videos on :(

I have heard that you can recover photos by formatting the card so it can be read, then use some recovery software. I'm scared of doing this in case I lose them/lose the videos too.

At this stage i'm just after some advice on what you guys would do in this situation?

Thank for any advice.

Cheers,

GW

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
DO NOT FORMAT IT!! Sorry for the caps but that's only going to make the problem worse and reduce chances of recovery, you need to make sure absolutely nothing writes or tries to write any more data to the card.

Everyone will have different recommendations for file recovery, my choice is non-freeware called File Scavenger. It's not expensive though and I've found its recovery ability to be extremely good.

John

senu

Distinguished Member
DO NOT FORMAT IT!! Sorry for the caps but that's only going to make the problem worse and reduce chances of recovery, you need to make sure absolutely nothing writes or tries to write any more data to the card.

Everyone will have different recommendations for file recovery, my choice is non-freeware called File Scavenger. It's not expensive though and I've found its recovery ability to be extremely good.

John
+ 1 DO NOT FORMAT IT as that will further reduce any chance of data recovery
As Said there are many Software recovery tools and One that I use comes with Sandisc cards called RescuePro.. On the few occasions Ive needed it It worked fine
Another
PC Inspector FILE RECOVERY

goatywoaty

Thanks John + Senu, I have been trying out a few bits of software and some pics have now been recovered but unfortunately not the video files :( Also some photos show as thumbnails but when full screening them they don't show. I'll keep trying :) Thanks for the tips

senu

Distinguished Member
Sometimes the files may need to be accessed by using the right file extension
You may not be able to get them all but try a few different software and hopefully you will get most
Another
http://www.piriform.com/recuva
All the best with it