• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic TZ10 iAuto Flash

Leo0123

Standard Member
Hi,

I have Panasonic TZ10 and recently went on holiday. When at the beach where i had to wear sunglasses - the flash would still go off when the camera was on iAuto. In lighting which is strong it still goes off and the photos does not look that good. Is this a problem which I need to send the camera back as it is in its guarantee?

Thanks,
Leo

shotokan101

Banned
Doesn't sound right - what happens if you point it at a bright light source like a 100watt bulb - my TZ7 doesn't flash in iAuto then

Jim

Leo0123

Standard Member
Thanks for your response.

I have a 100 watt bulb in my bed room and pointed towards it (about 10cm away from it) the flash went off! Problem with camera i think?

Thanks

shotokan101

Banned
Thanks for your response.

I have a 100 watt bulb in my bed room and pointed towards it (about 10cm away from it) the flash went off! Problem with camera i think?

Thanks

Definitely sounds like it - does it fire even when you force it off in iAuto mode ?

Jim

Prize78

Prominent Member
I've just set my tz10 to iA and the flash didn't fire when up close to the bulb, if that's any help??

Leo0123

Standard Member
Hi,

It doesnt go off when the camera is set to "no flash."

I have been spending a bit of time taking photos of the blub. Interestingly sometimes the flash doesnt go off, but most of the time it does. Also it seems to depend on which angle I take it. I think at the end of the day the flash shouldnt really go off at all?

With your camera, does it not go off all the time. How far away are you from the bulb?

Thanks

Prize78

Prominent Member
I put on my light, (energy saver) and was about 30cm away, and the flash fired. As the light bulb 'warmed up', i went right in to about 10cm away, and it didn't flash on the subsequent 4 or 5 pictures at that distance. Get right up close mate, see how you get on.

RobbySpurs

Distinguished Member
Hi interest to god this thread. I have noticed that my TZ10 seems to flash all the time as well, unless I manually turn it off. Did you send yours back and is it a fault or am I being a bit dense with the settings?

lunar524

Established Member
A lot of compact camera's have a tendency to trigger the flash even when conditions dont warrant it, the TZ10 I've noticed even more so, especially if you have zoomed in a little. The lens is quite slow, and obviously if you zoom even by small amounts it reduces the light even more.

I still have an old little Canon Ixus 50, and that also triggers the flash in anything but good light.

I dont think they are faulty, it's more the fact they are small slow lenses, and IMO possibly the flash trigger level may be set a little on the safe side. Something I think you have to live with with this type of camera.
TBH, I dont find it a major problem, though I will be the first to admit the TZ camera's do like plenty of light, but is'nt that typical of most cheapend compacts, in fact, if it's at it's widest I don't think it's any worse than many other similar camera's.

I just leave it switched off, and enable it when I definately know I need it.

Last edited:

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
While the lens is slower there's still absolutely no reason for it to be using flash on automatic in bright sunlight unless set to forced mode for fill flash.

John

lunar524

Established Member
While the lens is slower there's still absolutely no reason for it to be using flash on automatic in bright sunlight unless set to forced mode for fill flash.

John

Absolutely agree, in normal daylight... mine.. even in auto mode does not operate the flash, only time the flash will go off is usually indoors. It would have to be very dull and heavily overcast to trigger the flash outside. So yes, it does sound like you may have a problem.

I tried it in iAuto mode earlier in our lounge with main lights switched on plus 2 wall lights and the flash did not operate, though it did operate twice out of 8 shots without the addition of the wall lighting. Which I thought was not too bad. (Decor is fairly light and the 2 settee's are light cream colour too)

Last edited:

RobbySpurs

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the response guys. Definitely think there may be a problem then. The camera seems to flash in all conditions on iA, so looks like I will be contacting Amazon...

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom