Panasonic TZ1 - 10 X Optical Zoom

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Jathrodean, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Jathrodean

Jathrodean
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have had the camera almost a week now and have yet to take a photo of anything further than 10 feet away where the camera doesn't indicate that it is unsteady. I'm not using a tripod and I know that that the Optical Stabilization only does so much but I've got to say I'm surprised how much of a problem this is proving, particularly as the zoom and stabilization were the main draws of the camera. As almost all of the reviews don't indicate this as being a significant problem I was wondering, is it me?!

2. bodoman

bodoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,873
    My wife has the same camera and it works fine, might be a silly question but have you actually put the IS on, we tend to keep ours on all the time, set on IS 2.

3. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    I have it set to Mode 2 on my FZ8 as well. Only turn it off when I use a tripod.

4. Just call me Al

Just call me Al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    I've had this camera since June 2006 & it's the best camera I've had. I had a great Nikon camera before but the 10 X zoom & IS makes this the best little camera around. As you may have seen on othere threads here I recently bought the Canon EOS 400D & I love it But the Panasonic TZI gives the Canon a real good run for it's money.I also have my IS set on 2 but for many months I had it set on One & it was still excellent.

5. Jathrodean

Jathrodean
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The IS is definitely on as far as I'm aware and I've used it on both settings with the same disappointing results. I'm beginning to think that there may be a fault with it judging by your replies.
    Any suggestions with regard to testing it please??

6. hutters

hutters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    It might be worth posting an image that shows your problem, it may help diagnose what the issue is?

7. Jathrodean

Jathrodean
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, will try to do that later.
    It may just be me but as I say, every time I zoom in towards anything more than 10 feet or so away the 'shaky hands' indicator comes on and the pictures are nowhere near as sharp as I was expecting.

8. ScottBT

ScottBT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47

I don't have this camera, I have the Fuji S6500 with no IS and I can take pics at full zoom without shake.

The shake hand will only appear if the shutter speed goes below a certain level, something like 1/30. Keep the aperture as large as possible and us higher ISO to keep the shutter speed as quick as possible.

9. hutters

hutters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    That's the main reason I suggested posting a picture so that we could see the exif and see what's going on.

I have a friend that has a panasonic and was getting frustrated that the pictures were blurry. These were pictures of small kids running around indoors. When I explained the basics of aperture, shutter speed and ISO and bumped the ISO up to get a faster shutter they were pleased with the pictures ;)

10. Jathrodean

Jathrodean
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bodoman, just so I know from someone with the same camera.
    Camera shake indicator always comes on at anything above X4 zoom indoors. Does yours?
    Have even had the indicator coming on at longer zooms when it's on a tripod but it disappears when I use the self-timer.