1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TXPH40D - The verdict?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by sr78, Mar 29, 2003.

1. sr78

sr78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    After two messed up JVC HD32D25s I'm looking for another set. I still want PAL progressive, so my only choice seems to be the Panny. I've heard some bad rumors about it though, so I'm wondering if we could summarize these in a thread.

The rumors:

Horrible RF performance
    Trailing and color bleeding
    Green bar when using the component inputs (or only when using PS over the component inputs???)

I'll probably be using a Philips 963SA with it (still on backorder, so haven't been able to demo it).

2. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Sorry to but in on this thread but I personally wouldn't recommend Panasonic. I won't bore you with the details but I'm still waiting like a fool for my Panny 36pb50 to be sent back to me from Panasonic after nearly 6 months.

Please look for a different manufacturer

3. sr78

sr78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That's alright, it's info like this that's valuable: lousy support by Panasonic.

4. Tasos

Tasos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi..I just the new panasonic brochure and there are loadsa new TV models. However, the styling is kinda 70s retro :rolleyes:

However, there is the the TX32-PD30 and the TX36-PD30...these look more modern and will be available in May and June respectively. They are the "ACUITY" range...strange name I know.The brochure says that they use the new Quintrix SR tube. From the from the specification cheet these two models have:

"COMPONENT VIDEO INPUT AND PROGRESSIVE INPUT IN RCA"

Now, going back to your original question about the Tx32ph40...I do not know what progressive scan looks like on it...But RF and SKY look awful. Edges are jagged, there's shimmering, movement looks unnatural. Even though I haven't seen progressive scan on this set I would NOT recommend. However, if you see it and like the picture, the brochure a new model the TX-32DH40. This seems to be the same as the TX32PH40 with the addition of an integrated digital tuner.

If I were you I'd for the "Acuity"
    :rotfl: range to come out.

Good luck

Tasos

5. bommaren

bommaren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 32PS20 it's not so bad...
    It's lower cost than the PH40 due to a simpler sound system.

I don't really recognize the horror stories of bleeding and stuff.

The only thing I have to complain about is
    a slightly different black level on a field of the screen.
    This can only be seen if you dont have completely black blacklevel.

I have a bit of "dirty screen" effect but I am quit shure this can be
    eliminated by extrenal degaussing.
    I have not done this yet, but it eliminated this type of problem on my previous panasonic.

-- B

6. edd

edd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just bought a ph40 for 820 quid including a 3 year warrenty from costco

chuffed to fluffys, looks fantastic with the xbox ion ntsc mode, cant wait for my hi-def pack from america to come.

edd

7. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a panny 32ph40

I have my denon 2800mkII pal prog dvd player running through the component inputs and it plays progressive scan ok

My only problem is that I get about a 3" shift to the right on progressive scan input? If anyone has any info on solving this or why it happens I'd appreciate it?

Also with component input i get a green tinged vertical band in the middle of the screen, which is only visible when the screen goes completely black, so not a problem during most films. Any help with this would be most appreciated as well.

Other than these problems the set is absolutely fine, sky is just as good as any other 32" crt, I generally keep all the digital functions turned off as the A.I. mode can cause the picture to look a bit artificial

8. sr78

sr78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Lots of people reported this problem. When I called Panasonic about it, they said it wasn't a known problem. I knew enough after that, no Panny for me. Lying to their own customers...

9. sirwuffi

sirwuffi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @rscott

you get into the service menu, if:

1. set bas to max, heights to min in sound menu

2. hold "index" pressed on the rc , while you push the minus button the tv for about 1/2 second, release and you are in

3. to store a change press strg

4. to exit press "n"

the shift that was on my tv at progressive, was fixed when i turned my dvd-player to pal60 output

10. fuzzy

fuzzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi ive had my ph40 for 10 months now ..my 10 pence worth..

rf pic qual is not brill have to agree..my prev sony fq was much better (if only the focus prob was not so bad)

freeview ..much better esp when they crank the bit rate up i think i might be watching a dvd not a broadcast

dvd (Sony dvp700) looks pretty damn good to me especially superbits but its not a progressive player so when the wife does not know and sony do a pal prog player i might swap when she's not looking and hope i dont get a green band or shift.Then maybe i can see what the fuss about pal prog is about.

pal gamecube games running at 60hz look the dogs danglies

11. Eyab

Eyab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a pink/purple vertical band or stripe to the left of the screen TX32PH40. It doesn't appear there all the time but sadly enough every time when watching sports like icehockey (live in Sweden...) and football. Suffering also from dirty screen effect but the vertical stripe is more annoying to me.
    Anyone who knows that cause this problem?
    What is "extrenal degaussing" and could i fix it on my own?
    I'm quite a rookie about these things...

12. BillyNomez

BillyNomez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eyab - do a search for many comments on degaussing, you could do it yourself if you have a magnetic wand however..

My tx32ph40 did show signs of dirty screen effect as do other Panny sets judging by comments posted but I believe the effect dissapates over time, less noticeable now than when set was new. It may not need degaussing.
    Panasonic themselves quoted me in an email that it could be an effect of digital processing but not convinced by that. Early days and it really did look like it needed a wipe on the inside.

Cant help with pink/purple line issue but I hope you dont get green banding effect that many of us have noted but Panasonic seem to deny exists. Cause - Simple solution anyone...?

Still pleased with the set, too many pros to outweight the few cons, looks v.good with freeview but as said b4 not really a sportswatchers set !

BRBN