Panasonic TXP42GT20B situation

gilesypopper

Established Member
Reaction score
Hallo All,

I purchased this TV from John Lewis last month and found that it buzzed a lot. I arranged for a replacement TV to be delivered, which I just set up this morning - unfortunately I can still hear buzzing. After reading through the G/V20 threads, and many excellent online reviews, I think I must just be sensitive to the buzzing.

The thing is, I got this TV through John Lewis due to a pricing error on their website, which they kindly obliged. I paid £869 for it, when it was advertised around £1200.

Now, I don't know whether to see about arranging for another replacement (I think I'd still be able to hear any buzzing - sensitive ears!) or sell it on Ebay or somewhere. If I did, would anyone know if I can pass on the JL 5Y guarantee etc?

Would be grateful for any thoughts/perspectives.

ive purchased the same tv and have noticed it to make more of the buzzing noise with 3d films. also it changes when the lightin changes. as in the brighter the picture the more noise and the darker the quieter. maybe we're are just being fussy lol i dont no but its annoyin

The buzz is related to the amount of power being consumed at the time, which is high when the panel is lit up bright. So you can expect the buzz to vary with picture contents, that's perfectly normal.

The buzz is related to the amount of power being consumed at the time, which is high when the panel is lit up bright. So you can expect the buzz to vary with picture contents, that's perfectly normal.

Sorry but there realy should not be any buzzing from the Panny panels mine doesn't make any noise what so ever and if yours does it is far from normal.

Sorry but there realy should not be any buzzing from the Panny panels mine doesn't make any noise what so ever and if yours does it is far from normal.
Well, it seems pretty "normal", given the amount of complaints about it on here! :)

Seriously, we have many Panasonic plasmas of various vintages where I work (BBC Television Centre) and without exception all of them have a power supply buzz which varies with average picture level. If yours doesn't, then I think you're the one that's far from normal and you should count yourself lucky!

Having said that, given that it's been a much lamented design "feature" of their plasmas for so long, you would think that they would try to take steps towards making a quieter power supply...

Modern plasmas use much cheaper components than the ones that first came out - that would extend to power supply components

I'm sure the older models don't buzz anywhere near as much

Well, it seems pretty "normal", given the amount of complaints about it on here! :)

Seriously, we have many Panasonic plasmas of various vintages where I work (BBC Television Centre) and without exception all of them have a power supply buzz which varies with average picture level. If yours doesn't, then I think you're the one that's far from normal and you should count yourself lucky!

Having said that, given that it's been a much lamented design "feature" of their plasmas for so long, you would think that they would try to take steps towards making a quieter power supply...

I have looked at many Panny Plasmas from G10,S20,V20,VT20, GT20 etc,etc and none have had a buzzing i could hear. Maybe i am not sensitive to it, and i am sure other owners on here have had no problems either.:)

I have a 42" V20E and it buzzes slightly. Mostly when the screen is showing bright image and also when i pull out a usb stick. Then i can hear it at my viewing distance. When watching normal tv or blu-ray i can hear the buzz only when i put my head very close to the tv or behind it.
I think the buzzing is problematic when you can hear it at your normal viewing distance, watching tv/blu-ray.
Also it depends how close is the wall behind the tv and does it reflect the buzz. If it is possible you can try to move the tv away from wall slightly.

Is it possible that the buzzing will decrease over time ?

- Frank

been in contact with comet who i bought it off. apparantly the buzzing noise is common with plasmas, plasmas make a buzzing noise. so i suppose im going to have to put up with it. im not particuarly happy with the noise and the way comet handled it. my dad is gettin a 50inch version in a few days so see what that sounds like. if it makes noise ill be happy lol if not ill just have to jump of a bridge or something lol

Mine is very quiet from 3 meters maximum. Is the 'E' model. Yours are made also in Czech Republic?

been in contact with comet who i bought it off. apparantly the buzzing noise is common with plasmas, plasmas make a buzzing noise. so i suppose im going to have to put up with it. im not particuarly happy with the noise and the way comet handled it. my dad is gettin a 50inch version in a few days so see what that sounds like. if it makes noise ill be happy lol if not ill just have to jump of a bridge or something lol

I would contact Comet again because they are talking B******S mate. Who was it at Comet who told you all plasmas buzz?:thumbsdow

I have looked at many Panny Plasmas from G10,S20,V20,VT20, GT20 etc,etc and none have had a buzzing i could hear. Maybe i am not sensitive to it, and i am sure other owners on here have had no problems either.:)

I have a 42GT20 and had to put my ear around the back of the set to hear any buzzing, even then it was faint in my opinion. I can't hear any buzzing in front of the set and definately not at normal viewing distance. I wouldn't be happy if I could either.

think her name was claire or something. she kept on going back to the engineer. she said they had the same model there and it was make a buzzing sound :S... i got it hangin off my wall, so i turn down the volume and if i put my head underneath and i can hear it change pitch according to the picture on the screen. think i will contact panasonic themselves and see what they say.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom