Panasonic TXL60ET5B - close to buying this. Any thoughts? Anyone else have one?

KatanaDV20

Standard Member
Hi everyone,

I did do an advanced search but it didnt pull back any threads on this set.

Im 2 days away from buying a 60 inch Panasonic TXL60ET5B edge-lit LED TV with passive 3D.

:lesson:

Would any of you TV gurus have any thoughts on this set? Primary use will be PC gaming with a AMD HD7870 2GB graphics card pushing the pixels via HDMI.

My local Panasonic dealership is selling this for £1,800 with 5yr guarantee included. Locally-based Panasonic engineer. They also said that when I decided to order that they will "see if they can do something with the price". But I'll be honest - its price does not trouble me. I like the Panasonic brand (my current 37 inch is a Panasonic) Also the local factor is important..the shop is 10 minutes *walk* from my house with friendly & knowledgeable staff. Its not one of the big national chains.

Any of you guys have this set (or its 55-inch smaller brother?). Would really appreciate your thoughts! Specially on one thing:

Gaming lag

Everything else is secondary. I hardly watch any live TV and if I do watch programs its just the science documentaries on iPlayer. Im not into any sports. I do watch DVD movies as well - but very very rarely. 90% of my TV use is PC gaming. I really like this set hee hee :D

However I dont have the technical TV know-how I know ya'll do. So I would really value your thoughts.

Thanks very much :)

Here are the specs of the TV:
- TX-L60ET5B - Specification - Panasonic UK & Ireland

byron_hinson

Did you get this in the end?

KatanaDV20

Standard Member
Did you get this in the end?
Yes I did - its arriving tomorrow :clap:

However Ive spotted it cheaper elsewhere and will ask if they can pricematch. I dont know if they will though and if they cant it wont be *too* bad because Im getting it with a 5yr cover included.

Once I have it up and running will post a review of what I think along with pictures :)

bigjohn20uk

Novice Member
hi

can I ask if you have this

and if so how good is it as I am looking at it (over the internet) as we have no tv shops in Stafford at all(just currys with about 10 TVs that's all)

thank you
john

d3nver

Banned
Hi,
Sorry to report ths but at our local currys with our own pc we confrmed the 60b has massive input lag issues even in game mode and with everything disabled, without game mode it actually feels like 500ms as when we moved muse or controller it would react after we gave input and still kept moving after we had stopped giving mouse/controller input, it allso has the lcd motion blur of 2 images when panning.

We tried numerous sets including lg and samsung, samsungs seemed (6800 and lower as pq was very nice )the best but again everything in the shop that was lcd had motion blur/doubled images that could only be fxed having motion settings active, only thing that had no motion blur was the plasma's but they did'nt have what we wanted at our budget.
We have had plasma's for awhile now so we are biased against lcd, if you have allways had lcd ignore my remarks about motionblur.

We actually went to purchase the 60b and had reserved one.

For gaming i would stay away from this set 100% !

We allso noticed there was a demo of games being played on most tv's that was so supersmooth they looked lovely, shame they all had motion settings active, testing games on these tv's with there current settings had massive input lag but they looked supersmooth but no good for gaming.

Last edited:

bigjohn20uk

Novice Member
thank you for the info

Hi,
Sorry to report ths but at our local currys with our own pc we confrmed the 60b has massive input lag issues even in game mode and with everything disabled, without game mode it actually feels like 500ms as when we moved muse or controller it would react after we gave input and still kept moving after we had stopped giving mouse/controller input, it allso has the lcd motion blur of 2 images when panning.

We tried numerous sets including lg and samsung, samsungs seemed (6800 and lower as pq was very nice )the best but again everything in the shop that was lcd had motion blur/doubled images that could only be fxed having motion settings active, only thing that had no motion blur was the plasma's but they did'nt have what we wanted at our budget.
We have had plasma's for awhile now so we are biased against lcd, if you have allways had lcd ignore my remarks about motionblur.

We actually went to purchase the 60b and had reserved one.

For gaming i would stay away from this set 100% !

We allso noticed there was a demo of games being played on most tv's that was so supersmooth they looked lovely, shame they all had motion settings active, testing games on these tv's with there current settings had massive input lag but they looked supersmooth but no good for gaming.

KatanaDV20

Standard Member
Hello sorry for the late reply!

Ok Ive had this set for 6 days now and REALLY happy with it! :clap: Its design is sublime. Very thin bezel and oh man its HUGE. I dont just watch movies or play games now...I feel like im IN the movie and IN the game!

Also I notice no lag in games. Zero lag. It has a specific Game Mode and once in that it just blazes. And I have a HEAVILY modded graphics-intensive Skyrim game. I also have a heavily modded Flight Simulator (FSX Accleration). Both of these are very demanding and I noticed no lag at all. In fact I noticed no lag even when NOT in Game mode. :)

And I want to add that I game on it while sitting in the living room downstairs - its connected to a gaming PC upstairs linked by a 15-meter long HDMI cable! No lag.

I will be posting pics shortly and also a YouTube video of some games being played to give you an idea of it :)

d3nver

Banned
I suppose it all depends what your used to, if you used to lets say 50ms lag you will never ever see input lag as you are used to it and see it as how it's meant tobe even though you do actually have input lag.

I say 100% this tv has input lag and massive amounts of it without game mode active, if you cannot feel this you are used to input lag but let me asure you ths set does indeed have alot of input lag especially without game mode active !

Sadly i will have to say the previous post is incorrect from our own personal testing which was backed up with over 10 tv's being tested that night and we know all the tricks of the trade for every tv to reduce input lag, sorry but it's true.
The 60b is garbage for gaming.

I know from previous experience, if somebody say's they cannot feel input lag even with pc mde or game label turned off are completely wrong 110%, this is 100% true, if you cant tell the difference between either on or off than you cant see input lag even when it's staring you in the face.

Make your own decision but i can tell you now that Katana cannot see input lag even when it pokes him/her in the eye as proven by him/herself by saying they cant even feel the input lag when game mode is turned off ;)
No offence intended, i just had tobe truthfull.

Last edited:

KatanaDV20

Standard Member
Just a few pics when it was being set up. The screen is glossy and reflective. Not a big deal at all to me because I use this primrily for gaming - curtains drawn dark room! If you DO wanna watch in bright light its not an issue as the brightness level can more than handle it.

With screen guard fitted :thumbsup:

tkmin

Hi, I saw this tv on sale for £1299 and am seriously considering buying it. Not sure if it will be too big as I will only be sat about 8.5ft away! Just wondered if you are still happy with your tv and would you recommend this set. I am coming from a plasma so I realise it will not be what I'm used to but for the size and price I consider it a bit of a bargain

grandmaster

dude I saw this in the panny shop and ohhh myyy goddd you wont be disappointed I can tell you that.

it doesn't matter how close youre going to be its an IPS HD paneland it is amazing. honestly I wish I had the cash to buy one I just saw it today and started looking on the net and came across this forum.

the movies on this with surround sound will be better than the bloody cinema experience!!!

the tv is just sublime!

KatanaDV20

Standard Member
Hi guys :D I made a YouTube vid of me playing Skyrim on this monster TV. Sorry that the quality isnt that good, make sure you select HD option in youtube.

Its being played on a gaming PC.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom