Panasonic TXL32D25B TV recording question

mark87652

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been asked by a relative to advise on a Freesat TV they are thinking of buying, but I'm more of a cable TV and PC man so I thought I would ask the experts here!

Anyway the TV is a Panasonic TXL32D25B, which has a Freesat tuner built in, they have a single satellite cable in their flat. So far so good I think.

The salesman in the shop also said that the TV has a USB connector which will allow an external hard disk to be installed. To be honest I didn't know TV's did that sort of thing but the manual on the Panasonic websites describes such a setup.

However with only one cable from the dish, and one tuner in the TV does this mean that you while watching TV you can cannot record another channel?

And whilst we are at it - any other thoughts on the TV?

Thanks guys.

However with only one cable from the dish, and one tuner in the TV does this mean that you while watching TV you can cannot record another channel?

You may well be able to watch something other than Freesat on the TV whilst it exports the contents of its satellite tuner. Both my Freeview TVs can send the signal from their satellite tuner to the scart sockets, regardless of whether I'm watching Freeview or not.

But, only one satellite channel can be tuned in at any one time. So, whatever you want to record from the TV's satellite tuner (be it via USB or scart) is the satellite channel that the TV must be tuned to. You can't export one satellite channel whilst watching another, if there is only a single satellite tuner in the telly. Same as if you wanted to record from a standard Sky or Freesat box to VCR/DVDR. Whichever channel you want to record is what the box must be tuned to.

I didn't know TV's did that sort of thing
one tuner in the TV
It's normal on receivers, but less so on TVs - this TV has a high specification.
It has TWO digital tuners, satellite and terrestrial, so it SHOULD record from one while watching from the other.

It's normal on receivers, but less so on TVs - this TV has a high specification.
It has TWO digital tuners, satellite and terrestrial, so it SHOULD record from one while watching from the other.

Thanks for that, however no Freeview in the area!

I've got a 42G20 and just bought a Buffalo JustStore Desktop USB2 HDD, it's the only one that says has been tested to work with this range of Panasonic TVs. Just plug in and let the TV format it then away you go.
They are available in 500GB, 1TB, 2TB.

I have found that when recording, both the tuners are locked out from changes, so you can't watch Freeview/record Freesat or watch Freesat/record Freeview. You can only watch what you're recording.

JonUK

Last edited:
I've got a 42G20 and just bought a Buffalo JustStore Desktop USB2 HDD, it's the only one that says has been tested to work with this range of Panasonic TVs. Just plug in and let the TV format it then away you go.
They are available in 500GB, 1TB, 2TB.

I have found that when recording, both the tuners are locked out from changes, so you can't watch Freeview/record Freesat or watch Freesat/record Freeview. You can only watch what you're recording.

JonUK

The 42G20 is basically of bigger version of the 32D25B?

None at all? What area?

Eastbourne. The Freeview checker gives no channels, and when I last tried it - nothing! Some people can get it, but I think it's a question of moving aerial etc and that is not possible.

There's something very odd about the checker then.
You should be getting Eastfield transmitter's Freeview without any problems.

Not only will this range of tvs (and similar Panasonics) not allow recording of one medium (sat/dvbt/analogue) whilst watching another; afaik, it will actually turn on the tv, picture and all in order to record. So if you set up a recording whilst you are away it won't do the recording "in the background".
Main use of the recording option is for pausing live tv / chase play of a pre-programmed recording. You cannot save a recording for later use if you used pause live tv. There are two modes of live pause; one records continuously so you can rewind to the last point at which you changed channel; the other needs to be initiated manually whenever you want it to so cannot be rewound before that point.
This interpretation comes from reading the manual only rather than having this model but the manuals are pretty comprehensive. If my interpretation is wrong I'd like to know as for now I have written off ever replacing my 2008 freesat Panasonic with another eg when freeview HD arrives in our area.
Panasonic tend to be very precise in what they have set up a product to do, tested it etc, and then only allow those combinations of functions to operate.

They and others (eg Sony) also provide(d) so called twin tuners for their recorders (dvd-recorders usually) but all they mean is analogue or dvb-t(freeview) and only one can be used at a time. Some newer products do have proper twin tuning but only within one medium. A single feed dvb-t is okay but for freesat you need two feeds to have a full range available for the second tuner.

I am not aware of anyone having yet produced a freesat and freeview branded double HD recorder (nor SD)

Oh, and a G20 is a LCDorPlasma version depending on the size and a D25 an LED one, but otherwise both have two alternatively usable HD tuners.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom