Panasonic TX65HX800B

jabber62

Novice Member
In the market for a new tv 65". Been trying to find the right one for a couple of months now and thought of just buying another Sony the KD-65XH9505 which is slightly over my budget. I currently have 55" Sony 4k 3 years old. Love the picture quality of it but the OS has always been a bit temperamental. Prior to the Sony I was a Panasonic fan with my faithful 50' Panasonic plasma as the main tv which is still in use in another room, but parted company with the brand when I upgraded to a bigger TV in the main room after seeing one a friend had got and it appeared very poor quality. Turned out it was a Vestel. Recently someone also recommended the Panny TX65HX800B which is around £400 cheaper than the Sony but I'm worried it might not be a genuine Panasonic model. Has anyone got this TV and what are your opinions of it. My viewings habits are even mix of everyday tv, films and sport with occasional use of a ps3 and a wii. Thank you.

Wildbill

Novice Member
Hi. I purchased this tv at the turn of the year and can confirm it is Panasonic built and not Vestel. I believe all models below this are vestel.

The TV seems good, although I tried watching a football game on amazon prime a few days ago, and it didn't cope well with fast movement of the ball. Whether or not I need to change settings, I dont know.

When watching movies or box sets that use hdr or dolby vision it looks great, although sometimes I think it lacks a little brightness. I'm pretty sure when I pick up which settings are good this will be sorted though.

Tried playing battlefield 4 on my old ps4 to test what it was like for gaming and seemed fine with this

I cant comment on sound as I use a sonos beam soundbar, and haven't used the TV speakers at all.

Id add in that the screen is quite reflective, so if there was a window facing the TV, then this could be a problem.

Overall I'm more than happy with the TV, even though I think a few of the picture settings could do with a tweak.

jabber62

Novice Member
Thank you for that. Will see if I can pick up some more reviews on the motion side of things as I do watch a fair bit of football. Having said that my main source is via sky so I'm wondering if the quality of the source might be a factor, as I too have streamed football from Amazon prime and it has been shocking in comparison, as has the bt sport app. Both look terrible on my current Sony but sky looks amazing.

Wildbill

Novice Member
Thank you for that. Will see if I can pick up some more reviews on the motion side of things as I do watch a fair bit of football. Having said that my main source is via sky so I'm wondering if the quality of the source might be a factor, as I too have streamed football from Amazon prime and it has been shocking in comparison, as has the bt sport app. Both look terrible on my current Sony but sky looks amazing.

May be down to prime then. I dont have Sky Sports to compare. Hopefully you're right as it seemed a lot worse than I expected on a tv in this price range.

Ged

Whilst I don't have this TV, my experience of the Amazon football has been mixed, with it varying from really blocky to relatively crisp but far from the quality of my Virgin V6 sports channels. My broadband connection is is fast (500).

Wildbill

Novice Member
After watching football on a better source than amazon prime, I can confirm the issues were down to Amazon prime. Watched a game on BBC HD and quality was flawless.

Loopthrough

How can you tell if TV is Panasonic or Vestel built?
If you can't see the TV in person:
  1. 2020 range: everything below the HX800 series is Vestel.
  2. Real Panasonics have My Home Screen (previously known as Firefox OS).
  3. Real Panasonics have a My App (customisable App button) on remote control.
  4. Vestels have a space on the back for a UK mains plug to be inserted when in transit.
  5. Vestels nearly always have a VGA port - no other brand does anymore.

Buying a 'Panasonic' by Vestel is pointless.
The insides and performance are no different from other Vestel brands, but there's a huge markup.

If you don't mind a Vestel (they're likely the UK's no. 2 brand and they're certainly not as bad as many will make out), the best two types are the Toshibas with Onkyo sound (slightly more premium, but it's a minefield of confusing/unavailable models) and the Argos/Hitachi ones (which have slightly better panels, possibly stipulated by Hitachi).

A Vestel TV almost always looks like this attached picture at the back (ports vary slightly but always similar).

If you get a Vestel in person, it's easy to tell as the input displays have a large banner which shows something like V: 50Hz in the resolution part, there's a countdown timer on a no input screen and the initial smart TV privacy policy expressly states Vestel and of course the back of the TV will say made/assembled in Turkey.

Attached images showing Vestel vs real Panasonic:
Note Vestel socket layout and UK mains plug pin holes for mains plug storage in transit.

Attachments

• Vestel Back of TV.jpg
    Vestel Back of TV.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Real Panasonic back of TV.jpg
    Real Panasonic back of TV.jpg
    452.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Think you should edit this to “everything below 800 in the Panasonic HX series is Vestel” as e.g. the FX750 is genuine Panasonic.

jabber62

Novice Member
After watching football on a better source than amazon prime, I can confirm the issues were down to Amazon prime. Watched a game on BBC HD and quality was flawless.
Thank you for the update. Seems to do the job for a lot less than the Sony I was looking at so Panasonic it is...:)

Eotyr

Hope I'm not muddying the waters late as it were.. I've both a 2019 50GX800 (ostensibly the same as 2020 HX I understand) and a 2020 49XH9505 and feel that the Sony is significantly better in terms of its image and well-worth an extra £400 at such a size.

The Panasonic isn't a bad set by any means (still enjoying ours but in different room) and you may well be happy with it but the Sony is in a different league imho, main differences being much higher brightness (Panasonic can seem very dim, really not suitable for well-lit rooms) and less reflective screen (Panasonic's screen is practically a black mirror). I prefer the Panasonic's OS (if not its woeful app selection) but have read that the Sony's OS is much more stable than it is on older Sony models.

Hope of some use, apols if not.. !

Wildbill

Novice Member
Hope I'm not muddying the waters late as it were.. I've both a 2019 50GX800 (ostensibly the same as 2020 HX I understand) and a 2020 49XH9505 and feel that the Sony is significantly better in terms of its image and well-worth an extra £400 at such a size.

The Panasonic isn't a bad set by any means (still enjoying ours but in different room) and you may well be happy with it but the Sony is in a different league imho, main differences being much higher brightness (Panasonic can seem very dim, really not suitable for well-lit rooms) and less reflective screen (Panasonic's screen is practically a black mirror). I prefer the Panasonic's OS (if not its woeful app selection) but have read that the Sony's OS is much more stable than it is on older Sony models.

Yeah it can seem dim at times depending on what picture mode is on or settings used with the adaptive display.

I mentioned earlier about the screen being reflective, and this is a biggie dependant where the TV is placed on the room. Especially when there are a lot of blacks on the screen. Cant notice it much when its a bright / coloured picture.

£400 extra is a fair bit higher price, which I would expect better quality, and it also takes you into Oled territory. I had a toss up between the Panasonic 65 for £900, which I think is a great quality picture for the size, or £1150 for a 55 inch panasonic Oled. The wife fancied going for size over quality. But I'm more than happy with the TV as a whole. Suppose you can't have everything when spending £900.

Eotyr

It's such a minefield, not helped by being unable to go to stores to compare at the moment. Sony (at 55+ sizes) has a wide-angle viewing filter too, if relevant. £400 is a lot of money but I would spend it were i able to and in the same position myself

jabber62

Novice Member

Not at all, all input gratefully received. It is a big purchase and so I want it to be right. It is pretty much a straight fight between the Sony and the Panasonic and I know in my head the Sony is the better TV but in the present climate £400 is a lot of essentials...and would I really notice the difference...decisions, decisions...:)

Eotyr

Good luck with it - the Panasonic does seem a relative bargain although, especially long-term, I feel the Sony is much more likely to impress/satisfy.

ABARKIE

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom