Panasonic TX65FZ802B series recording problem

Oneeasygeezer

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure whether this post should be in this forum or the Freeview forum so apologies if this is the wrong one.

I'm having real problems trying to do something so simple it's untrue, namely I wish to be able to record TV series from the TV using Freeview play and a connected 1TB HDD. I can record straight from Freeview play's EPG with no problem however if its a series it'll only record the one event not the next episode later in the week or next week. If using the remote and from the menu select timer/ Timer Programming it will show existing scheduled recordings and will allow me to change the device/channel/start and end times but not the date field to select the series sequence. These recordings become guided recordings so that if the broadcaster changes the scheduled time the recording stays in sync.

However if I manually select the device, programme, and date I then have the option of setting the series recording. But in doing so lose the advantage of having the recording synced to the actual broadcasted time in the event that it changes, this seems ludicrous or is it me? Surely in this day and age you should and would expect to be able to record a program series and have it recorded at the time the broadcaster broadcasts it.

I think I read somewhere that there is no series link feature on the FZ series.

As I said I can set series recording manually but because this isn't set via the EPG if the broadcasted time changes then the recordings are off as they're not synced via the EPG. How on earth can whoever is responsible for this (either Freeview or Panasonic) think this acceptable to users?

As I said I can set series recording manually but because this isn't set via the EPG if the broadcasted time changes then the recordings are off as they're not synced via the EPG. How on earth can whoever is responsible for this (either Freeview or Panasonic) think this acceptable to users?
What you're doing by manually setting a time and repeating the recording weekly isn't series linking.

Your best bet is to buy a recorder. Loads more features and flexibility, and not massively expensive.

Let me try and clarify the position .

The TV comes with Freeview play as standard, if I record a programe direct from the freeview's EPG whether it's part of a series or not it becomes what's termed as signal supported recording and is shown as red oval with "REC" in white letters, there's no options to do anything else it's a single recording which will start at the broadcasted time irrespective of whether that's later that the time originally scheduled on the EPG.

The TV also has it's own and seperate timer menu independant of freeview, recordings made via freeview's EPG are shown and flaged with a red oval with "guide" in black letters indicating it's a signal supported recording, the only alteration possible is to the start / end time, if this is changed by more that 15mins it changes to a manual recording. However if from the Timer Programming I manually select the device, channel, and date I then have the option of setting the series recording, with options for
Daily Sun-Sat
Daily Mon-Sat
Daily Mon- Fri
And Weekly Sun- Sat at the same time on the same day every week, but and it's a big but the series is not a signal supported recording so if the broadcasted time alters these recordings is not synced.

So I have 2 recording systems neither of which allow me to make series recordings linked to the broadcasted times rather than the scheduled times, which brings me back to my original queation, Surely in this day and age you should and would expect to be able to record a program series and have it recorded at the time the broadcaster broadcasts it.

Yes I know I can have a dedicated recorder like YouView but that means another box using more power, more cableing and resources just because manufactures can't get their act together. Personally I don't find that acceptable especially when you look at the cost of the TV!

Last edited:
The limitation here is that your Freeview provider publishes an EPG that only looks a few days ahead. If it would publish an EPG that would run months ahead, you could program the entire series, but I've never seen them do that. So the TV can't know what signal to watch out for if it isn't published in the EPG.
If you want to do this so you won't forget a recording, set a weekly alarm on e.g. your smart phone to schedule the recording in time.
If you want to do this because you won't be home for a couple of weeks, you might try the TV-Anywhere functionality of the TV which allows you to schedule a recording while not at home.

The limitation here is that your Freeview provider publishes an EPG that only looks a few days ahead. If it would publish an EPG that would run months ahead, you could program the entire series, but I've never seen them do that. So the TV can't know what signal to watch out for if it isn't published in the EPG.
If you want to do this so you won't forget a recording, set a weekly alarm on e.g. your smart phone to schedule the recording in time.
If you want to do this because you won't be home for a couple of weeks, you might try the TV-Anywhere functionality of the TV which allows you to schedule a recording while not at home.

I think you've completely missed the point. the reason why Youview is so successful ( despite being monopolised by TalkTalk & BT ) is that you can select a program to record and if it's part of a series you're presented with the option to record the whole series which will be recorded regardless of the time of the first recording i.e. if the broadcaster subsequently changes the broadcast date / time the program will still be recorded correctly essentially making it record and forget.

The whole point of my initial post was I was expecting something with similar capabilities from Freeview play but couldn't believe the severe limitations of the the program, in my opinion it's completely out of touch with consumer expectations. Suggestions to get around this include buy another recorder ( presumably a Youview one) or set an alarm as a reminder, really in this day and age !!

Right, here's your answer:
The TV can't do it.

If you want to series link properly, you need to get an external box.

End of thread.

Right, here's your answer:
The TV can't do it.

If you want to series link properly, you need to get an external box.

End of thread.
I completely concur with you that these manufacturers should produce things that actually work. Why should you buy another gadget to do what your TV should do?
I have a very Expensive Sony KD -77 AG9 that has the function but it dosen't work.
My 43 inch LG does series link flawlessly and even makes me tea too.
If a tv that cost me say £300 can do it, why can't one costing £3,300 do it?.
Personally I think all this smart smart tv business is a load of crap and this us why. Set up a manual recording. While it's recording I want to watch on demand, the TV tells me I can't watch on demand because it's recording. I then have to use a fire stick. How is this smart, sounds darn right foolish from where I'm sitting?
Again my LG can record and watch on demand.
Seems like LG have invested in the TV software that actually works, unlike other manufactures.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom