Question Panasonic TX65DX902b or something else?

Tigerlaser

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going to buy a TV tomorrow and expect it to be this one.

I'm pretty set on it and expect to pay £1799. The shop has it listed at £1999 but they drop a bit off when you go in.

Is this the right TV to go for bearing in mind size (65 required), budget (£1800) and my use; general online streaming including 4k, bluray, very occasional gaming?

I think this does HLG and I can live without Dolbyvision. Any current year or upcoming tech changes REALLY worth having?

Your valued opinions are welcome.

At 65 inches, your options are limited to LED.

The 902B is the best FALD within your budget. The only other considerations would be the Sony ones which are all 3k+.

The question I'd be asking myself (I bought the 902b 2 months ago BTW) is do I want the 902B at £1800 [the best NEW TV I can get at a grand size of 65 inches) or can I afford to miss out on warranty, 4k, hdr, high brightness and deal with a bit of potential IR and instead get a second hand plasma at 65 inches.

The plasma will best this set (and any modern set including OLEDS) in SD content due to its superior motion handling and will match the blacks on even a top end FALD Like the 902B.

However you will miss out on 4k, HDR, warranty and the ridiculously high light output this screen can deliver in circumstances require it.

I personally went for the 902B as no plasmas were on the market near me. You would also have to come to terms with that plasma you buy might have a fairly short lifespan given its probably had usage for the past 4-5 years.

If you're not interested in second hand or plasma, then the 902B @ <£2k is your only high end option at 65 inches.

Also flaws for the 902B include: haloing and backlight banding. Despite what many owners might tell you about their "perfect" FALD sets, every reputable TV reviewer seems to say these are evident in ALL FALD sets and just a limitation of the technology. The backlight banding is FAR FAR FAR better and less frequent than any normal banding on LCD/LEDs/OLEDs. The haloing is sadly a tradeoff given that the blacks get very very deep and the whites get very very bright on this set.

Given its resistance to image retention/image burn, 65 inches, high IQ, HDR/4k future proof, I'm happy with my purchase :) If I go back in time would I buy a second hand plasma? Given at present 95% of my content is 1080p, probably, but that netflix 4k hdr has been really nice and once I do bother to get into 4k gaming, it saves me the upgrade hassle.

Thanks for the excellent response. This lines up with my thinking.
A used plasma has some appeal but my worry is the longevity and the higher likelihood of IR. 2 kids and I dont want Peppa haunting my viewing.
I think I'll go for this though not happening until at least next week now.
Thanks.

Thanks for the excellent response. This lines up with my thinking.
A used plasma has some appeal but my worry is the longevity and the higher likelihood of IR. 2 kids and I dont want Peppa haunting my viewing.
I think I'll go for this though not happening until at least next week now.
Thanks.
yeah smart decision.

same reason im holding off OLED tbh. you see the progress plasma made from an IR perspective, i hope the same for ir on oled.

I'm going to buy a TV tomorrow and expect it to be this one.

I'm pretty set on it and expect to pay £1799. The shop has it listed at £1999 but they drop a bit off when you go in.

Is this the right TV to go for bearing in mind size (65 required), budget (£1800) and my use; general online streaming including 4k, bluray, very occasional gaming?

I think this does HLG and I can live without Dolbyvision. Any current year or upcoming tech changes REALLY worth having?

Your valued opinions are welcome.
Hi, I have been looking for this TV but most places I have contacted advise it is out of stock and discontinued. Did you manage to buy one, if so please could you let me know where from and how much for? Thanks

Hi, I have been looking for this TV but most places I have contacted advise it is out of stock and discontinued. Did you manage to buy one, if so please could you let me know where from and how much for? Thanks
From my experience they are all but gone.

I got one last week from Richer Sounds. They still had at least one at that point but it was going to the Glasgow store.

From my experience they are all but gone.

I got one last week from Richer Sounds. They still had at least one at that point but it was going to the Glasgow store.

Going to myself 2nd one as first had sound issue.they did tell me they would struggle and only had a few left but found a new one.

Going to myself 2nd one as first had sound issue.they did tell me they would struggle and only had a few left but found a new one.
What was the issue with the sound?

What was the issue with the sound?

Would work then not work they reconed an intermittent fault so offered a refund.they tried a few things but it would work for
5 then nothing just motion then not work the next day at all. After trying a b7 c7 for half hour I was more into a replacement 902b.So they eventually found one down south and so far so good.

Would work then not work they reconed an intermittent fault so offered a refund.they tried a few things but it would work for
5 then nothing just motion then not work the next day at all. After trying a b7 c7 for half hour I was more into a replacement 902b.So they eventually found one down south and so far so good.
Was this with HDMI connections only? Which ones?

Also, do you ever watch agricultural or tractor videos on YouTube?

Also, do you ever watch agricultural or tractor videos on YouTube?

Tried all hdmi ports and same problem when it went the sound on tv also stopped not just through surround sound.
And no cant say I ever have only thing I've used YouTube for was some 4K demo videos why?

Tried all hdmi ports and same problem when it went the sound on tv also stopped not just through surround sound.
And no cant say I ever have only thing I've used YouTube for was some 4K demo videos why?
I got a return from Richer Sounds Glasgow, returned for a sound issue. I thought it must have been yours.

The YouTube history was a bit of Top Gear, some 4k demo stuff and what stood out was some vids of I think k tractors spreading fields or spreading like that. So I thought it may have been yours.

The Netflix account was a ladies name, though I forget what now. Logged out anyway, my 4k one is on now.

So weird question I know, just thought it may have been your return. Its all good for me anyway.

I got a return from Richer Sounds Glasgow, returned for a sound issue. I thought it must have been yours.

The YouTube history was a bit of Top Gear, some 4k demo stuff and what stood out was some vids of I think k tractors spreading fields or spreading like that. So I thought it may have been yours.

The Netflix account was a ladies name, though I forget what now. Logged out anyway, my 4k one is on now.

So weird question I know, just thought it may have been your return. Its all good for me anyway.

No I only watched a couple of 4K demos on the 4K channel on mine and the Netflix account was my own Also 4K account.i took my Netflix log in off the set I returned.my set got returned down south as it wasn't ever from Glasgow apparently also mine only had a few hours on it can't remember exactly but would've been 10 or so at very most.

No I only watched a couple of 4K demos on the 4K channel on mine and the Netflix account was my own Also 4K account.i took my Netflix log in off the set I returned.my set got returned down south as it wasn't ever from Glasgow apparently also mine only had a few hours on it can't remember exactly but would've been 10 or so at very most.
Oh well, just a coincidence.

I'm pretty happy with the TV anyway. If you have amazon prime, the Le Mans series looks amazing in 4k and is a decent watch too.

I would have thought the Sony xe9305 led TV 65 inch should fall within your budget come back Friday if your willing to wait. Not sure how it compares to the Panasonic though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom