Bargain Panasonic TX58EX750B for £900

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by pembo, Mar 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. pembo

pembo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pretty much decided on getting one of these so started searching around. Most retailers have it for £999 but John Lewis are out of stock which makes me think this 2017 model will not come down much in price and is starting to run out.

I checked Quidco and Hughes are offering 4% cashback so went to the site and they are also offering an additional £60 off and the TV comes with a 5 year warranty.

The nearest store is 40 miles away so do I drive up and collect or arrange free delivery?

Edit: Only available East Anglia way by the looks of things. Nothing doing for collecting from the Preston store and not available for home delivery.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  2. Analysis

Analysis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +310
    The box will be quite heavy and a bit of a beast if you are on your own, product weight is 30.5kg.

I'd get it delivered to be honest and the best advice is buy online, with a credit card for additional consumer protection, you will also be covered with distance selling regulations as well, and you have a 2 year warranty by EU law, this should also apply once Brexit is done next March.

Panasonic TX-58EX750B (TV)

Hughes is a good option, and then Richer Sounds, John Lewis is normally the best for warranty.

3. Kend3591

Kend3591

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    In the UK a standard manufacturer warranty is 12 months, where does the 2 year EU warranty come from?

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Unless you need the extra 3" screen there are better value options right now to be found in the likes of:

Samsung 55MU7000
    Samsung 55MU9000(curved)
    Sony 55XE85xx series
    Hisense 55NU8700

The 58EX750 isn't bad value at £900 but it started its life very overpriced. That makes it look a great deal but its not really any better overall apart from screen size from the options above.

I see you have already been given sound advice but I would use pricespy.co.uk to check prices on each of those models. If you find the cheapest price is from a retailer that you don't want to purchase from, you can often get retailers with better reputations and service to price match. The two common ones are John Lewis who have a good price match policy and Richer Sounds who will knock an extra £50 off the price if you find the same TV cheaper elsewhere.

Then I agree to purchase online. Use a credit card if you can for protection.

I wouldn't buy a TV in the store unless they have a very good return policy. Why? Well if you buy online you are protected by law for 14 days under distance selling so you can return the TV no questions, a respectable retailer will even deliver and pick it up free of charge.

If you buy from the store you are not protected by this law and you instead are covered by the stores return policy which may ensue restocking fees if you want to return the TV if you are unhappy with it.

Then of course you also do not have to worry about transporting it.

5. Analysis

Analysis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +310
    The manufacturer's warranty is different to the retailer's obligation under EU law, they are responsible for 2 years, some claims can be upto 5 years if you can prove the product was defective at the time of receipt, a lot of people don't know this info at all and just accept what the retailer tells them under t&c's.

Guarantees: repairs, replacements, refunds

In my experience with all of this Trading Standards don't really like to get involved for small claims, only the bigger operational practices of a company so it's best to know your rights.

6. Meyrick Man

Meyrick Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    £749 now from Panasonic Outlet on Ebay