Panasonic TX55GZ950B repair?

Mikeyt271

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hope you are all safe & well.

Is the above repairable & economic to do so? Insurers will only pay out £650 due to my excess compulsory & voluntary, plus I did not add the item value to my policy, so errors on my part.

Freak accident - my cat has run past my son playing PS4, got caught up in the PS4 controller charging cable which was plugged into PS4 & this has then pinged into the screen. The charger metal socket has obviously struck the screen hard enough to cause a bullet type crack & then appears to have shorted the panel.
I fear it’s not good news but thought I’d ask.

thanks in advance 🙏🏻

Attachments

• BCEDEB34-54B0-43B2-9190-9DF8489F6B13.jpeg
    BCEDEB34-54B0-43B2-9190-9DF8489F6B13.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 150
  • 46B8E959-6413-47BD-BA58-3BBEB28ED548.jpeg
    46B8E959-6413-47BD-BA58-3BBEB28ED548.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 162
Bad news I'm afraid.
It's usually cheaper to buy a new TV than pay for a panel replacement.

It was what I feared from such a freak accident. Nevermind & thanks for taking the time 👍🏻

Do you have house insurance covering accidental damage, worth a shot if you do ?

Luckily I do but I negated to add this tv as a “high value” addition, so maximum I will receive is £650 after compulsory & voluntary excess are taken off 😖 I’ll just have to swallow it & find the extra to replace it 👍🏻

Luckily I do but I negated to add this tv as a “high value” addition, so maximum I will receive is £650 after compulsory & voluntary excess are taken off 😖 I’ll just have to swallow it & find the extra to replace it 👍🏻

really sorry but I think you’ve been really unfortunate.
I hope you find a way to replace it with another that you are happy with...
the Panasonic refurb store has a 950 for under £1000 at the moment...

Yes - as I said freak accident that the metal pin from the charger has pinged into bottom of screen & done that much damage - I bet if I tried that 100,000 times it wouldn’t do it again (I won’t attempt though). I have written this off as one of those things 😂

Thanks to all for the feedback & taking the time.

Stay safe 🙏🏻

Ouch! @sambd posted here:

Showing how to get the GZ950 from Richer Sounds for £989. If you put your current one on eBay I would think you would make at least £39 meaning a new one would cost you an extra £300.

I got a replacement TV from the insurers supplier after paying the excess. I set it up & there was a white line right hand corner of the screen. When I inspected closely the metal is damaged top right corner of surround & must have caused panel damage - the screen won’t even turn on now! Not sure how this works & if they are duty bound to replace?! Item is faulty so we will see, not having much luck with this tv!

Attachments

• 9E321980-CE65-48FA-9A29-292AF61D81C7.jpeg
    9E321980-CE65-48FA-9A29-292AF61D81C7.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 96
  • E9E347DA-40A4-492A-9DD1-C3893FDA8E1B.jpeg
    E9E347DA-40A4-492A-9DD1-C3893FDA8E1B.jpeg
    169 KB · Views: 89
If you unboxed this yourself surely you would have noticed this damage to the corner before you switched it on?

That doesn't look like a new TV to me - I can't believe a TV that badly damaged would have passed QC at the factory.

Was there any sign the box had been opened ?

Either way, you need to report it as faulty straight away.

If you unboxed this yourself surely you would have noticed this damage to the corner before you switched it on?
I didn’t though - I didn’t do a “full inspection”.m, the same as I didn’t with my original. Unlike my original tv from Richer Sounds, it also didn’t have the protective pull off protective plastic strips all around the casing, but I didn’t think anything of it at the time.

That doesn't look like a new TV to me - I can't believe a TV that badly damaged would have passed QC at the factory.

Was there any sign the box had been opened ?

Either way, you need to report it as faulty straight away.
I have reported to the insurer & their supplier SBS, I know for a fact that I didn’t cause that damage because it was not knocked when removing from box & it was placed on a duvet when connecting to the stand. I had help to lift it into place & I’m not in the habit of scamming anyone. Like the previous reply, I don’t know how I’ve missed the damage but I did. I could have told them I took the tv out of the box & noticed the damage straightaway but I’ve been honest in telling them that I set it up & only when the line appeared has the damage become apparent to me.

With regards to did the box have any signs of opening - the tape came off easily enough on the top opening but that doesn’t mean it was resealed, so no obvious signs in all honesty. It was meant to be a 2 man delivery but only one guy carried it to the door & he plonked it down on it’s top side rather than bottom edge.

I know for a fact that I didn’t cause that damage because it was not knocked when removing from box & it was placed on a duvet when connecting to the stand. I had help to lift it into place & I’m not in the habit of scamming anyone.

i think you might have misinterpreted my comment. I wasn't accusing you of damaging it - I was suggesting that the TV they've sent you isn't new but, from your recent post, it now sounds to me like it's been damaged in transit.

55" and above TVs are always a 2-man job and they must be stored and transported upright, using the handles at either end of the box. Delivering it upside down is totally unacceptable and most-likely caused the damage I would say, possibly from one of the corners hitting the ground first.

i think you might have misinterpreted my comment. I wasn't accusing you of damaging it - I was suggesting that the TV they've sent you isn't new but, from your recent post, it now sounds to me like it's been damaged in transit.

55" and above TVs are always a 2-man job and they must be stored and transported upright, using the handles at either end of the box. Delivering it upside down is totally unacceptable and most-likely caused the damage I would say, possibly from one of the corners hitting the ground first.
Ah no worries - it was more a reply to the previous comment about how I could possibly miss the damage. In fairness the photo shows it more clear than to the eye but even so, I just didn’t notice it when setting up. I will see what the insurer/SBS say & go from there. I would have noticed if I had hit the corner of the screen & would have accepted it as my fault & swallowed it. I really didn’t think too much on how it was delivered at the precise moment but he definitely rested it the wrong way up outside my door & it wasn’t the way Richer Sounds delivery team delivered.

Upshot is courier are denying any responsibility - the carry handles on the box are undisturbed & despite only 1 man bringing the tv to the door & carrying it incorrectly, they claim as they have a photo of the item at my door, they are not responsible. Luckily the insurers supplier has battled with them & is willing to replace the item. Lesson here is to accept nothing that is delivered differently to how you have been told it will & I will forensically inspect the next tv before full install!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom