Panasonic TX42PX60 - Is there anything better for this value?

S

ste-m

Hi all,

I want to buy a 40 or 42" HD ready Plasma or LCD screen for around £1400.

From what I have seen the Panasonic TH42PX60 CAB seems a good buy and I've seen this for just under £1400 but I'm no expert and wanted to know if anyone else has any other ideas?

I would be very grateful of any help.

Thanks.

Similar question to mine (posted today also)...

I've been reading and reading and reading about this plasma for about 3 weeks and can't seem to find anything better (for the price), not sure about the 42PH9 though.

I understand that the LG 42PC1DA is at least as good and a couple of hundred pounds cheaper. I would have got one of these but it's slightly too wide for my cupboard so I've ordered the Panny.

SuperKip said:
Similar question to mine (posted today also)...

I've been reading and reading and reading about this plasma for about 3 weeks and can't seem to find anything better (for the price), not sure about the 42PH9 though.

Thanks, just had a loko at what a 42PH9 is and it looks nice but I noticed it's a Plasma Display rather than a Plasma TV and I dont know much about them. Can anyone advise me on the pro's and cons of buying a display instead of a TV, it's main use is for Sky HD with a seperate sound system.

ste-m said:
Thanks, just had a loko at what a 42PH9 is and it looks nice but I noticed it's a Plasma Display rather than a Plasma TV and I dont know much about them. Can anyone advise me on the pro's and cons of buying a display instead of a TV, it's main use is for Sky HD with a seperate sound system.
Hi Ste-m,

A display does not include a TV receiver or speakers. It will also have a limited number of inputs but these can be added if required (at extra cost) depending on your needs.

The benefits... 1) Size. The dimensions of a 42" could be smaller than a 37" plasma TV. 2) If you have an independent TV source such as Sky, Freeview or cable is there a need to buy another receiver? 3) if you have a AV amp and speakers do you need speakers on the plasma? It all adds to the cost and size. 4) Cost. Because you're only buying a display it will be cheaper than a consumer TV. And finally 5) Quality. The 42PHD8 and 42PH9 are professional displays and produce a better picture according to many here.

Drawbacks? If you have a lot of sources buying additional input boards for the screen could push up the cost. If Sky/Freeview/cable packs up you have no TV.

I've chewed over both the pro panels and consumer TVs and I will almost certainly be going for the panel. Hope that helps.

The PX60 is a great set as long as you don't mind:

1 - that it is slightly stretched in the vertical aspect (circles appear oval)

2 - that it displays purple artefacts and fringing. These mainly appear in out of focus grey/green background scenes, particularly a wall, as either a spalsh of purple colour or a semi-circular moving band

I'm also susceptible to green tinge which, although not a fault of the Panny is very noticeable and from "seeing" it occasionally (Sin City anybody) I now "see" it constantly.

No amount of altering aspect ratios or other settings diminish these faults. If I don't get used to them the set's going back.

If I were you I'd consider alternatives but it appears that even a cursory glance at these forums shows flaws with every make and model so you just have to pick the one with the flaws you think you can live with.

RayP said:
Hi Ste-m,

A display does not include a TV receiver or speakers. It will also have a limited number of inputs but these can be added if required (at extra cost) depending on your needs.

The benefits... 1) Size. The dimensions of a 42" could be smaller than a 37" plasma TV. 2) If you have an independent TV source such as Sky, Freeview or cable is there a need to buy another receiver? 3) if you have a AV amp and speakers do you need speakers on the plasma? It all adds to the cost and size. 4) Cost. Because you're only buying a display it will be cheaper than a consumer TV. And finally 5) Quality. The 42PHD8 and 42PH9 are professional displays and produce a better picture according to many here.

Drawbacks? If you have a lot of sources buying additional input boards for the screen could push up the cost. If Sky/Freeview/cable packs up you have no TV.

I've chewed over both the pro panels and consumer TVs and I will almost certainly be going for the panel. Hope that helps.

Cheers RayP, I must admit I think I'd prefer a panel myself now Ive had a look but after Ive bought all the boards I'll need and a pedestal stand it's getting close to £2K, bit too pricey for me.

captain69 said:
The PX60 is a great set as long as you don't mind:

1 - that it is slightly stretched in the vertical aspect (circles appear oval)

2 - that it displays purple artefacts and fringing. These mainly appear in out of focus grey/green background scenes, particularly a wall, as either a spalsh of purple colour or a semi-circular moving band

I'm also susceptible to green tinge which, although not a fault of the Panny is very noticeable and from "seeing" it occasionally (Sin City anybody) I now "see" it constantly.

No amount of altering aspect ratios or other settings diminish these faults. If I don't get used to them the set's going back.

If I were you I'd consider alternatives but it appears that even a cursory glance at these forums shows flaws with every make and model so you just have to pick the one with the flaws you think you can live with.

If you send it back what are you going for?

Hitachi 7200 or try and get a good deal on an "old" Pioneer i.e. last years models.

ste-m said:
Cheers RayP, I must admit I think I'd prefer a panel myself now Ive had a look but after Ive bought all the boards I'll need and a pedestal stand it's getting close to £2K, bit too pricey for me.

You might not need as many boards as you think. Do you have an AV amp with component in/out? If so that would accept feeds from DVD and SkyHD and all you then need is a component-VGA cable to the panel. No need to buy any additional boards as the panel comes with a VGA input which is every bit as good as component.

AV Sales offer discounts to AV members. The sticky Power Buy thread at the top of this page will direct you. They are a well respected company. I'm sure you can get a price well below £2K.

RayP said:
You might not need as many boards as you think. Do you have an AV amp with component in/out? If so that would accept feeds from DVD and SkyHD and all you then need is a component-VGA cable to the panel. No need to buy any additional boards as the panel comes with a VGA input which is every bit as good as component.

AV Sales offer discounts to AV members. The sticky Power Buy thread at the top of this page will direct you. They are a well respected company. I'm sure you can get a price well below £2K.

I think so, I'll look tonight, but I think read in July's What HiFi S&V that the components on the sky hd box wont work for much longer because sky are planning on changing something, it was something to do with them being analogue.

ste-m said:
I think so, I'll look tonight, but I think read in July's What HiFi S&V that the components on the sky hd box wont work for much longer because sky are planning on changing something, it was something to do with them being analogue.

The second generation of Sky HD boxes may not include component out due to copy protection rules but that has not been confirmed yet to my knowledge. The component outputs on gen 1 HD boxes should work until the cows come home. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom