1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TX36PL3F

Discussion in 'TVs' started by whourihan, Sep 23, 2001.

Tags:
  1. whourihan

whourihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Can anyone tell me if this tv is any good. I have cash in my pocket and I want to buy a whole system e.g. widescreen tv, dvd & surround sound apm. If the above tv isnt very good, could someone recommend a system to me.

Thanks<br />Will

2. Barry Bingham

Barry Bingham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check out the thread from a month or so ago on "New Panasonic" and references to the 36 & 32 PB50s- which are basically the dolby versions of the PL.

What Video & TV raved about the 36PB50 in the Oct mag. But the only early adopter postings here cited NTSC moire light/dark banding and hum as coninuing problems. That said reading these postings will put you off any set as dissatisfaction drives more posts than satisfaction. Look at the Tosh ZP picture frame set postings- lots of niggles but lots of satisfaction too. Or the generally high satisfaction with Loewe sets versus reports of "posterizing" and occasional geometry issues.

But I find the silence on the new Pannys odd after the early flurry of posts. I checked out a 36PB50 locally and with a DVD on RGB it seemed far sharper than the dodgy & soft PG in a nearby store with similar feed. Anyone care to update us on how they're getting on? Especially Piglet who enthused about the PB back in July, was due to get a set in Aug and from whom we've heard nothing? Does this mean bitter disappointment???

3. EddyC

EddyC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

4. rimmers

rimmers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have the 32PB50 and I am getting moire problems on PAL broadcasts. I have had an engineer in who will be contacting Panasonic to see what they can do.

With NTSC the moire is a lot more noticeable.

Hope they can sort it out as it is a nice telly.

5. Barry Bingham

Barry Bingham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rimmers: How does the PAL moire manifest itself? Is it worse on analogue,digital or DVD? Sad to hear you are having these problems- but its beginning to look like the PB for all its glorious spec and reportedly great colour reproduction is only part of the way to addressing the PG's shortcomings.

I tried engaging a independent Panny dealer in conversation about this moire problem on the PG. Shot me a lot of technical bull basically claiming that NTSC stuff is of such low quality that a "superb" telly like the PG can't be expected to demean itself by compensating for low grade US material. Claimed to have sold several PGs without any dissatisfaction or problems of any sort. "Better than B&O".

I often wonder why some people go into sales. The first requirement appears to be complete lack of product knowledge or even disinterest in the object being sold. Followed by an assumption that the punters are all so thick that they'll swallow anything. This guy was from the gullible punter school. For the complete disengagement experience of course there's nothing like Curry's..

Eddy C - thanks for referring to the German site. Why can't Panny put full specs on the British site? Perhaps it thinks we can't cope with anything requiring more than ten seconds attention span...

6. rimmers

rimmers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The moire effect is more noticeable on DVD as the source is a lot better than the sometimes rough mpeg of Sky.

It is more noticeable on darker colours like green.

I am hopeful that this problem isn't on all the PB's and that it can be sorted out.

Its bad enough getting it on NTSC but on PAL it is taking the mick.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was hoping that the PBs would be a "fixed" PG too. It seems, sadly, not to be. Don't think Panasonic are doing themselves any favours I think that they'll find people defecting. I accept that everything can have problems but how they are dealt with is crucial, to release a new model with the same well documented problems as it's predecessor, to me is a bit mad. One of the first things most people will ask would be about the problems the previous model suffered from and are they fixed?<br />Or am I mad?

8. Keiron

Keiron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    The PK series suffers the same problem too, on whatever source.

9. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I had one of the 32PB50's when they were first available in the UK.

As I remember problems were:

1. Moire. Totally obvious on NTSC (as Rimmers states, with dark greens. I also found greys and blues suceptible). Also evident on PAL R2 DVD, video especially zoomed WS material and lastly on terrestrial analogue.<br />2. Buzzing.<br />3. Audio out to amp was affected by TV volume bass and treble controls.<br />4. Sound from internal speakers was crap!

Engineer came and tried to defocus the beam to remove the moire, which it did, but the picture was far too blurred.

I also found the picture looked 'washed out'. Slightly grey looking all over despite setting up using VE and hours of tweaking.

I was extremely disappointed and had the set changed.

I've also had a 32PK1 which had a briliant sharp and colourful picture but suffered moire (only noticeable with NTSC) and the 50HZ flicker was driving me mad! That also went back.

I've now got the Toshiba 32ZP18P and think it is an excellent piece of kit. The picture rivals the PK1 but without the flicker or any hint of moire.

I read a thread on here some time ago that someone had been in contact with Panasonic and they had said they did not know what was causing the moire with NTSC. As it now seems to be evident with all sources perhaps they will be able to trace the cause and rectify it.

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Monster, sounds as though you have a good retailer there - it's nice to hear that customer serice hasn't completely died out!

11. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Colin, the first retailer was John Lewis and i had some problems with them and the number of times they wanted the set checking by the engineer before they would swap/refund. I ended up going in to the store face to face to put my point. I was unimpressed and eventually persuaded them that they wanted to give me a full refund.

After that I have used Empire Direct and they have been excellent. I was reticent at first but they have proved to be efficient courteous and fair.

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It just amazes me sometimes how far some people have to go to become a "satisfied" customer. It's nice to hear about someone getting a result!<br />Having owned both a Panasonic and Toshiba if the Panasonic range didn't have their "additional features" which one would you leave the shop with?