Panasonic TX36PL32 vs Toshiba 36ZP46 - worth the price difference?

S

sexy beast

So, our old 4:3 Panasonic has finally gone kaput, so I've decided to get a new CRT TV to tide us over for 2-3 years before getting a flash new LCD/Plasma. Went to my local Currys at the weekend and they've got Toshiba 36ZP46 £699 and Panasonic TX36PL32 £499 - from what I've read on here these are great TVs and the prices are bargains. However, there is £200 difference. I *really* like the look of the Tosh. I asked one of the Currys bods about the differences between the two - he said the Tosh doesn't do 100Hz (I thought it did...), and was pitching me the less expensive Panny!

If I bought the Tosh would I really see where the extra £200 went?
I am not a 'videophile' but I want a half-decent picture to see me through the next few years - maybe more. I mostly watch DVDs and Freeview - no Sky.
I have an external system to handle sound as well.
I am leaning towards the Panny purely on price since both TVs have had good comments on here (and I want to buy a DVD recorder at Christmas!!), but I *really* like the look of the Tosh (I think I said that already ;) )

Maybe I've asnwered my own question here, but opinions are welcome.

cheers
Chris

RMCF

I bought the Panasonic a few months back and am more than happy with it. It was my 1st 100Hz TV and so the first few days it took a while getting used to. But if you feed it with a strong signal then the picture is top class.

Admittedly the Tosh is a nicer looking unit, and I have read on this site that some think the picture is outstanding. However, I have also read some complain about it (as some have done with the Panasonic). Overall I would not worry too much about these since there will always be complaints from some who are just too fussy.

The £200 price difference would also be a big factor for me. I think its safe to say that you won't notice that much of a difference (if any) for your £200. You would be better using that for your DVD recorder.

As you already say, you only want this TV to tide you over until you buy into the LCD, HD, Plasma market in the future. Thats exactly the way I look at it too. I reckon that £499 spent on a top quality CRT set now is a bargain, and then by the time we come to upgrade to a 'hang-on-the-wall' set in 2 or 3 years time we will be able to pick up a set for less than a grand that would outperform those available in the market now.

Go for the Panasonic !!

per-Sony-fied

Picture differences between the Panny and Tosh are quite marked. The Tosh having stronger colours and an outstanding black level which oozes quality. It is also 100Hz unlike the Curry's salesman's knowledge. It also has Progressive scan and Activision modes. Activision providing an increased line rate.

The Tosh put simply is a superior model all round with greater connectivity (component i/p).

You should look at both models side by side tho' as the colour and black level difference is quite marked.

S

sexy beast

Thanks for the comments.

Handily, in my local Currys the two TVs ARE side-by-side so I'll go back again and have a careful look. Problem is, whatever they were feeding them with at the weekend wasn't the greatest signal (a bit grainy) so... maybe ask them to hook up a DVD player and whack something decent on (are they that helpful?)

I'm 70% in favour of the Panasonic - I reckon it'll be good enough for us and the price is right. If I notice such a difference in PQ and can justify £200 (still a good price) then I'll swing to the Toshiba.

Since my original post, I've read some other threads regarding the weight - circa 80kg! I currently use one of those IKEA 'media bench' things for my TV and all A/V equipment. I hope it's up to the job!!!

cheers
Chris

captainpacific

per-Sony-fied said:
Picture differences between the Panny and Tosh are quite marked. The Tosh having stronger colours and an outstanding black level which oozes quality. It is also 100Hz unlike the Curry's salesman's knowledge. It also has Progressive scan and Activision modes. Activision providing an increased line rate.

The Tosh put simply is a superior model all round with greater connectivity (component i/p).

You should look at both models side by side tho' as the colour and black level difference is quite marked.
This Panasonic (unlike most others) does have component input and progressive scan. Also, side by side there are some instances when the Panasonic's lack of overt digital trickery is of benefit. With a bit of fiddling on the set up the Panasonic can display a similarly impressive picture to the Toshiba, so the big cost saving becomes very attractive.

Trending threads

Top Bottom